Volunteer Work Day FAQ's -and any other question you may have.

Tech11

I want to make a thread where you can ask questions about the volunteer work days. I'll post up some basics to know, then feel free to ask anything you want to know about.
:popcorn:************************************* :popcorn:

* WHEN ARE THE WORKDAYS?
The Volunteer workdays are generally the Third weekend of every month.
You have an option to meet up with the other volunteers at two times. You can meet up with them at The Outpost at 8AM. Meeting at The Outpost gets you breakfast - A huge menu to choose from, everything is awesome. So you get awesome food, and get to meet the people you'll be working with, and chat in general. Then we head out to meet at the Hunt Camp Parking Lot at 9AM.

If you don't like getting up early, don't like awesome food, or for whatever reason, you can meet everyone at the Hunt Camp Parking Lot at 9AM.

Usually there will be forest service people and people from other clubs there to do volunteer work. This is when a general plan is made and once everyone is ready, and signed in, we head out on the trails to do whatever it is we are going to be doing that day.

OR

The clubs / individuals / or any small goup of people can do a workday whenever you want. Just need to talk with the USFS and i/we will gladly point you in the correct direction for that to happen.

*WHERE IS THE OUTPOST?
Eldorado Outpost
4021 NC Highway 109 N
Troy, NC 27371-1974
(910) 572-3474
N 35*26.769
W 080*01.296
Gas, food, and pretty much anything you could need while you are at Uwharrie. This is a place to buy trail passes also.

*WHAT DO I NEED TO BRING?
Any tools you think will help.
Generally hammers, socket sets (generally larger sized sockets for guardrails 1 1/4 I think), shovels, lengths of chain, and D-Rings/Clevis hooks.
If you don't have tools that is fine. We can also get some tools from the Forest Service.

other items to bring
Folding Chairs
Cooler - full of ice, water or drinks. In the summer I'd load up on water/sports drinks. A soda now and then won't be too bad but caffeinated drinks act as diuretics and you need to stay hydrated out there.
A hat. Keeps the sun off your head, keeps some sweat out of your eyes. I like a boonie style hat as it covers the whole head. I'd recommend a hat, but that is up to you.
Gloves. Work gloves/mechanic type gloves. For picking up guard rail posts and doing other manual labor.
I'd probably wear boots, but it's not required.

*WHAT WILL WE BE DOING?
Anything and everything. Come prepared to work.
During the hot months we have been told that the Forest Service doesn't really want us out there sweating to death. They don't make their people do that (except for Forest Fires) and they don't expect it from their volunteers.

So until it inches away from 100 degrees we will be doing trash pick up, putting up trail markers and other easier tasks as needed.Once the weather cools ,we will be back to digging holes with a auger, and installing metal guard rail.

The guard rail is to shut off illegal bypasses or other places trail riders don't need to/shouldn't be going. We will also be doing trash pick up and trail markers as we go. Sometimes we could put in silt traps or clean out some drainage ditches and stuff like that with shovels/mattocks.

RIGHT NOW There is serious trail work going on. Erosion control and things that MUST be addressed on the Uwharrie OHV Trail system. Once that is done (around Labor Day hopefully) there could be more work for us to do, but we have not really been told what exactly it could be. Long and the short of it is, show up ready to sweat, and work hard, but at the same time we have a good time.

*WHAT ABOUT MY VEHICLE?
We can work pretty much any of the trails in the URE OHV system. We usually don't mess with Daniel. As it has been adopted and not every vehicle can do it easily. If your vehicle is broke down or mostly stock or too pretty to beat up, you can drive you car, and park and ride from The Outpost or Hunt Camp Lot and we will get you back to your vehicle at the end of the work day.

PLEASE make arrangements with someone in that work days thread. Just say you need a seat, I'm sure several will be available.

BUT I WANT TO DO DANIEL- This previous workday we had someone go up Daniel putting up trail markers. So SOMETIMES it is possible to hit that trail. Or after the work is done sometimes a group will make a trip or two and hit the trails.

It should go without saying that Work Days involve trail riding. I think it is a very good time to go as the pace is MUCH MORE laid back and slower. I would say it is a very good way for beginners to get introduced to the trails AND help keep those trails open. It is really a win win for us all.

*WHAT DO I GET OUT OF IT?
Showing up for volunteer workdays will get you the following:
*Free Trail Pass for that day.
*Free camping at Arrowhead.
*Volunteer hours help provide funds for Uwharrie. Your time helps keep the trail system and the park as a whole open, and the more volunteer hours we give, there is the possibility of more funds for Uwharrie meaning more stuff, like new trails and possibly a Rock Garden.
**If you're lucky Your Hot Dog Guy will be in The Double Parking Lot with FANTASTIC hot dogs, drinks, and other assorted goodies.

*I HATE CAMPING.
Not really a question but here goes.
This last work day we rented a cabin. It came down to about 20 bucks a night. We had showers, air conditioning, a place to sleep, eat, socialize, and go back to when we were done running the trails.

IF we can keep the interest up we could make this a regular thing. By staying in the cabin you WILL get to ride the trails until you are sick of riding them.

This last work day there was a trail ride before check in. Then there was an evening trail ride, then there was a late night trail ride. Then there was the work day trail riding. Then there was cleaning up and going out to eat followed by, yep, MORE trail riding, there may have been a trail ride after that, It all kind of blurs together.
I THINK I've covered the basics. Any question you have, ask it here, you WILL get it answered.

EDIT:
*WHO DO I ASK ABOUT (volunteer day stuff)?
You can ask myself (BRIAN) or DRaider90(Eli)
One of us will get you an answer about (your volunteer day question).

NEED A MAP?
http://www.nc4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92424

I printed out both, placed them back to back and laminated them together.

OHV TRAIL REPORT
http://www.nc4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90232
Info on the work going on to make URE a better place.

Last edited:
This answered a lot of questions that I had. It makes me more comfortable to tag along on the next work day. Hopefully I can begin to meet and get to know some of the people that ride these trails on a regular basis.

ABSOLUTELY! Come and tag along.No need to feel intimidated. There will be ALL kinds of rigs and all kinds of people. We'll be tickled just to have another volunteer on board!:beer:

Check out this thread: http://www.nc4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89869 If you want to get involved you can get this sticker on your rig. It can help raise awareness, and start conversations with people who are interested in going to URE and maybe getting MORE volunteers.

Well thats good to hear. I just don't know if my Toyota Pickup will be up for the ride on the trails lol.
We'll get you up them one way or another. We just had a Jeep Commander run pretty much everything but Daniel, so BRING IT! We'll have a good time.

I ordered a sticker, so it looks like I gotta come now :driver: Are there any people that come from the Columbia, SC area that I could tag along with?

I ordered a sticker, so it looks like I gotta come now :driver: Are there any people that come from the Columbia, SC area that I could tag along with?
I'd post that in the work day thread. But like I said you can also drive a car(or your truck) to the outpost or Hunt Camp lot and get a ride from there.
Check out the other workday threads for pictures and to get a better feel of how things go.

EDIT: With your sticker you get a free hot dog on the work day. From the world famous Your Hot Dog guy.

Clean it up, make it extra pretty and then ask one of the moderators in this section if it's sticky worthy. I feel FAQs, when done correctly, are sticky worthy. But i'm not a mod in this section. :D

Clean it up, make it extra pretty and then ask one of the moderators in this section if it's sticky worthy. I feel FAQs, when done correctly, are sticky worthy. But i'm not a mod in this section. :D

I keep getting the format reset. I had it really nice then all my spaces and stuff went away. EDIT:GOT IT. I think.

Much better!

FYI, before you go to "advanced", copy out your text to the clipboard and then paste it in the advanced window. vBulletin loses the formatting when switching between quick edit and advanced edit. It's :gay:, but for whatever reason they haven't fixed it yet.

Bump. Maybe a sticky for this one?

Is this done year round or only when the trails are open?

This is a pretty awsome deal. me and my wife usually make a trip once a year out there with the horses. but id love to take the truck out for this. I got a lot of budys in my shop that might be interested ill pass some word and see what i can figure out. im out of the country though for a while. cant wait to get back and check this out though.

There is one more thing that needs to be added here.

The clubs / individuals / or any small goup of people can do a workday whenever you want. Just need to talk with the USFS and i will gladly point you in the correct direction for that to happen.

There is one more thing that needs to be added here.

The clubs / individuals / or any small goup of people can do a workday whenever you want. Just need to talk with the USFS and i will gladly point you in the correct direction for that to happen.
added

whens the next work day?

Hey great info. Would like to talk to someone about the work u do n how it works with forest dept. I started swva4w in va in 2000 n we have kept potts jeep mountain trail in va open. We did a cleanup this past weekend. Got to turn the hours in. But looks like u guys do a lot more and would like to talk to someone about it works for u guys. We have a hard time with getting in contact with our local forest dept. Thanks. Coming down weekend of may 14th to ride looking forward to it as always.

Just checking to see if there will be a work day this Saturday or not?

Back