very interesting read on towing

I knew that DOT medical card I keep in my wallet would be useful someday!!

too bad I don't have a tow rig, or a trailer...

Greg

there is also a limit to your home base. I think it is 150 miles, might be wrong here. Any way if you are in that range you do not have to have log book.

If you plan to be out of that range, just get a log book and lie your ass off!

100mi

What's funny to me is how all these guys act like this shit just up-and-happened. I got my CDL 8 yrs ago, and had to learn every bit of this back then. The laws are basically the same from state to state, with some exceptions. The only thing that's changed is that these drivers have gone from a 1/2t truck and a rickety trailer to an enclosed 15k hauler and a one-ton.

Well, and enforcement has stepped up a bit in the last few yrs... if only because the amt of what I'd call "non-professional" CDL traffic has increased to the point where it's attracting some attention from the cops and DOT. Doesn't mean it wasn't illegal to start with.

Stump said:
there is also a limit to your home base. I think it is 150 miles, might be wrong here. Any way if you are in that range you do not have to have log book.
If you plan to be out of that range, just get a log book and lie your ass off!

...and my understanding on the DOT medical card was it's only needed if you leave your state...

Greg

Ridgerunner said:
Well since most of use do not compete for money we do not have to worrie about that

Ever haul someone's stuff and they'll pay for your fuel? That also counts.. :rolleyes:

Ridgerunner said:
Well since most of use do not compete for money we do not have to worrie about that

If you're towing more than 10k, you'd better have the endorsements to cover it.

saf-t scissors said:

A little clarification.

Its 100 AIR miles,(as the crow flies) that gives u a little more

if u go over that u must fill out a log book for the previous 30 days.

along with the 100airmile log a daily vechile inspection report must be done on truck and trailer, its not always checked but still needed

With my company we have a little leeway. Your home base doesnt have to be the billing addy, but the layover from the day before has to take place there, so if you are hauling FROM somewhere you can use that. BUT that works for us mainly b/c that other base is a dealer for us so it is part of our company

Ridgerunner said:

The way I read it we need it wether competeing or not if we are over 10,000 lbs. and going more then 100 miles. Someone explain it to me if I am wrong.

Truck weighs 6700 lbs, Jeep 3500, trailer 3000. Puts me over 13,000 pounds just pulling one Jeep. So I need a log book and daily inspection to go somewhere like Telllico, callanente, or Haralan? Just for my hobby wow.

scarface said:
Nope if u have a CDL u need a Med card

I've got mine either way...

I originally got it (a Class B CDL with a P endorsement, air brakes) to drive the church buses...and can't remember if one of them told me that, or I got the info erroneously from the internet ;)

as long as I stay with a trailer under 10K, I'm good...

Greg

Jeepnmud74 said:
The way I read it we need it wether competeing or not if we are over 10,000 lbs. Someone explain it to me if I am wrong.

if the trailer is rated over 10K, or if your total setup is rated over 26K, you need the license...

remember, it's GVWR, not actual weight...

you needed a weighted tag either way, as I understand it...

Greg

I know I do not need a CDL I am good up to 26000 lbs on my liscense. I drive a box truck at work tagged at 26,000 lbs.

The log book part is where I got lost. It sounded to me like we need to have a daily checklist and log book if over 10,000 lbs.

My F250 is tagged at 15,000 lbs so it is weighted.

bigwaylon said:
if the trailer is rated over 10K, or if your total setup is rated over 26K, you need the license...

remember, it's GVWR, not actual weight...

you needed a weighted tag either way, as I understand it...

Greg

x2. I had to get ahold of DMV to clarify all this when I was driving the dump truck at work.

If its over 100 miles (as the crow flys) or you cross a state line you have to run a log book in any vehicle with commercial tags. Hear at the shop I have to go pick up trucks (big rigs). I only run a log book if I leave the state because most of my in state stuff is under 100 miles. It's best to have a D.O.T. card if you drive anything with commercial tags. Most companys that have stuff with commercial tags make you get one just to cover there butt.

Sam(slim)

Back