V10 rear main seal tips

4x4fever

I get to change the rear main seal in the excursion over the holidays wondering if anyone had any tips? ill be doin it in my garage no lift but I do have a trans jack, the tools and my haynes manual first one piece rear main I've changed

The hardest part will be getting the heavy trans/transfercase out for sure. One piece seals are easy. That one will be in an aluminum plate bolted to the back of the block. You can either pop it out with a screwdriver, then hammer the new seal in (make sure you see how deep it is first, some are flush and others may be pressed in a little further). If you do this method make sure you dont gouge the crankshaft or the aluminum plate or it will leak.

The seal kit should come with a gasket for the plate however so I would pull the plate off, knock the seal out on the bench, install the new seal, then reinstall the plate. If you go this route, put a dab of silicone on the corners where the plate meets the oil pan. Once again check the depth of the original seal first so you can put the new one in as deep.

I usually dont put anything on the outside of the seal, some like to put a thin layer of silicone on the outside surface but, I just hammer them in dry. You should put some clean oil on the seal surface where it rides on the crank though.

Thanks! Yea not excited about dropping the tranny. Can the tcase and tranny be dropped as a whole? Or do I need to take them off seperately

10-4 on seperate travis .maybe easier to handle on my back. Is there a gasket between the two that will need to be replaced or rtv handle it also changing the tranny fluid while I'm at it

You shouldn't need any RTV. The trans and tcase are heavy and hard to balance just right on a tranny jack. I've taken them out together, but its much easier to line the trans up to put back in, without the tcase hanging from it.

Much easier to handle laying on your back and it doesn't take an extra 15 minutes to drop the tc.

why not remove the dshaft and just slide the tranny tacse straight back.....even use two pieces of threaded rod to keep the bellhousing lined up...just a thought.

There is a gasket between the trans and transfer case. If it doesnt tear just bolt them back up. If It does tear you could silicone it (thin layer) if the dealer isnt open.

The auto transmissions dont have a seal at the back so fluid will pour out when you crack the cases apart (probably some even if you drain the transmission), so you'll need a good seal there or it will leak when put back together. The transfer case will be sealed on its own so you dont have to drain unless your just changing fluids out anyway like you said. For what its worth, the manual transmissions are sealed too. When I put a clutch in my 03 F250 with the 6.0 psd and 6 speed, I left the fluids in the cases and just split them apart to make it easier to work with and I have a lift and a transjack.

With the auto I'd definately have some helpers just to put a hand on the stuff coming out just to be sure there are no accidents.

Gonna tear into it tonite hopefully there won't be any problems don't have anyone to help as of now

Back