Uwharrie Trail Work Day #17, September 17th

Will You Be Attending?

• Total voters

DRaider90

Uwharrie Off-Road Volunteering
I have been trying to put off posting this until we got the details of the bobcat transportation worked out, but I figured 2 weeks out is cutting it close enough.
Schedule:
8AM - Breakfast @ Eldorado Outpost
9AM - Hunt Camp Meeting
LUNCH - Sometime after 1:30PM
END WORK - Around 3PM
If we can get the Bobcat transported out there we will at least have one group working with the Bobcat. And if we have enough people we will probably have a 2nd group splitting off doing something else. It will be a heavy work load day mixed with light work loads. It all depends on which group you end up with.
We still need to try to find out if anyone can help haul the Bobcat to the workday. If we can't get the Bobcat transported that means a big chunk of work won't get done.
Here is the e-mail from Terry Savery:
Hi Everyone - I've heard from a few folks (CFSJC & NC 4x4 & CNC) so far about the Sept. 17th work weekend. For the work weekend we'll have sections of guardrail to install, rolling dips that need their tail ditches cleaned out, some areas to put in straw/hay bales, some split rail fencing to install, repair of corduroy crossing, some areas where we'll bust up some bedrock, and some areas to armor with rock. We'll focus on finishing some of the sites that did not get completed in June. We'll meet at the Uwharrie Hunt Camp at 9 am and plan to work until about 2 or 2:30 pm. When we all gather at Hunt Camp we'll divide up the sites and crews and equipment. We'll have to send some folks to the spray field at Arrowhead to get guardrail & post, etc.
What I need to know from the clubs is which clubs are coming for the September work weekend, a good estimate of how many of your club members will be here, what equipment you have and if any of you need campsites. So far only CFSJC has contacted Janet to get campsites set up. If you have folks that want to camp please contact Janet or me asap so we can get them set aside for you. Janet's email address is: uwharriehost@hotmail.com.
Thanks a lot everyone. We really appreciate all of your volunteering. I hope that the Saturday work weekend is a successful one and that everyone will leave satisfied with completing a lot of good, hard work.
By the way, the Saw Mill Trail Reroute will begin very soon. They'll have signs up to warn riders when the trail is closed due to construction and you'd have to stay off Saw Mill to be safe. Please let folks know that this work is going to start soon. It should also be done by September 30th though so the trail won't be impacted for too long. Thanks again.
Pete, Jeff, Drew, De, Kelly & Deb - Please let me know your availability for working on this work weekend, on September 17th.
Rodney - I know you're already booked up for the 17th so don't worry about this I just want to keep you in the loop.
Bye - Terry
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Theresa Stevens Savery (Terry)
District Recreation Staff Supervisor
National Forests in North Carolina
Uwharrie National Forest
789 NC Hwy 24/27 East
Troy, NC 273
aimg683.imageshack.us_img683_6573_image002jw.jpg
aimg846.imageshack.us_img846_259_image003.gif

Celebrate the strengths of our country by embracing our diversity.
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Title says "August 17" just don't anyone to get confused, this is suppose to say "September 17" correct? ;)

Title says "August 17" just don't anyone to get confused, this is suppose to say "September 17" correct? ;)

This is correct, thanks for pointing that out. I also forgot to post a poll. Things catch up with ya when you run around lit at both ends so to speak. I need a vacation. :lol:

It looks like we will have the Bobcat out for the workday. The main plan as Terry Savery mentioned is busting up bed rock. We will be using the Bobcat with a hydraulic breaker attached to do this job. Should make for an easy workday for most, but very productive.

I added a poll to the thread so you can vote if your going to make it or not, this will allow for me to get a better head count back to Terry Savery.

The last couple work days have been very productive, and a blast at the same time. Lets make this another great one. :beer:

Eli, tried to send you a PM, looks like I might be coming down Saturday morning, can you bring the 4 Jerry cans? 2 for me and 2 for Ben (bigben78ford)
Thanks

I can bring the cans up no problem. I have brought up cans for other guys in the past so its no biggie.:beer:

I can bring the cans up no problem. I have brought up cans for other guys in the past so its no biggie.:beer:

Ok, thanks. Guess I just need to look for a red raider? I wont be doing the workday, this is actually going to be my first URE trip this year, and since I may be bringing a relative from canada...

I know I've been a little scarce lately, but just wondering if anybody would like to have a Hot Dog this coming Saturday at the Double Parking Lot? I've been fairly busy and had a few health probs that I won't go into here, but weather permitting I'M BACK!

I know I've been a little scarce lately, but just wondering if anybody would like to have a Hot Dog this coming Saturday at the Double Parking Lot? I've been fairly busy and had a few health probs that I won't go into here, but weather permitting I'M BACK!

If all goes well (as in, nothing comes up keeping me from coming), I'll put down a couple dogs...

I away always up for a hotdog or 3. The Forest Service will be hauling the Bobcat, and it ends up its a good thing because all we could get was the T190. So that would have ruled out due to weight other people hauling it. It has new tracks so we should be good with some careful driving. I will be meeting up with the Forest Service at RS Braswell Bobcat tomorrow and then head out to URE to get some work done Friday. I just pray to god this sinus/chest infection is gone by tomorrow so it will be smooth sailing.

I'll be there to give you guys a hand or at least to provide moral support. Oh, and put me down for a hot dog or two.

A good bit was accomplished yesterday. It was just me, Terry (Savery), Drew, and Sarah out there. I drove the Bobcat and the rest hiked the trail. Put the hydraulic breaker to good use, definitely got our free rental's worth out of it. Today plans are to use the bucket on Dutch John. Lets pray and hope the trail is dry so we don't have a repeat of trying to get the Bobcat up the hill climb wet.

Thanks to everyone that showed up, we had a very productive workday. Weather was just about perfect, if not a tad bit chilly at the beginning of the day. I heard "big red" blew up, I don't know what happened but hopefully its still under warranty. I wasn't with the Guard Rail group so we will see I guess. Also a big thanks to Chris for dropping by RS Braswel Bobcat to pay for the rental.

I went out Friday and worked with the Forest Service (Terry, Drew, and Sarah) on Rocky Mnt Loop. I met up with Kelly to pick up the Bobcat first, then headed to URE. I was amazed the Forest Service hiked the entire trail while I drove the Bobcat.We got 2 sections taken care of including widening the bypass for the ledge before the Kodak Rock Garden. It took some work with the hydraulic breaker but we got it done, plus took care of another rock further down RML. We ran into a group of Toyota FJs which helped us out, was cool meeting them.

(RS Braswell Bobcat)
aimg6.imageshack.us_img6_8144_bobcatpickedup.jpg

(Bobcat Dropped off at Double Parkinglot)
aimg195.imageshack.us_img195_637_bobcatdoublelot.jpg

(Breaking up some smaller rocks)
aimg87.imageshack.us_img87_2201_breakeraction.jpg

(Done Breaking up smaller Rocks)
aimg585.imageshack.us_img585_993_breakeraction2.jpg

(Parked at the top of the ledge/bypass)
aimg703.imageshack.us_img703_2790_topofledge.jpg

(Rock Breakup Done)
rocksbrokenup.jpg

(Bobcat with essential Water Bottle Roof Attachment
aka waiting for hikers to catch up to start next area of rock breakup)
aimg641.imageshack.us_img641_3391_waterbottlebobcat.jpg

(Top of 2nd work site)
aimg42.imageshack.us_img42_9140_topofsite2.jpg

Ends up we didn't break up the 2nd rock, instead the entire rock came out. The Cruiser guys helped us roll it off the trail. So when you go around the tight corner before the descent (after the Saw Mill exit on the top side of RML) you will see the rock in 2 pieces laying on the side of the trail. We logged about 3-4 hours on the Bobcat, and got to put the breaker to good use.

Fast forward to today. I was running late and ended up meeting up with the group at the double parkinglot. The original plan was to use the Bobcat on Dutch John, but we opted against that due to the rain (hill climb + even drizzle = no good for bobcat).

Plan B was formulated, we would hook the bucket up to the bobcat and get some work done on Slab Pile and Wolfs Den. We filled in a mud hole on RML (the one in front of the guard rail blocking off the hill/camping area), cleaned out a tail ditch and armored it with boulders (you can't miss it) on slab pile, and tore out a culvert on Wolfs Den and armored it with rock.

A big thanks to Brian plus Jim and the Full Size Jeep guy/gals riding with the Bobcat. Without them the work wouldn't have gotten done. They got a lot of pictures but here are the few I got.

(Culvert Gone)
aimg263.imageshack.us_img263_4365_bobcatnomoreculvert.jpg

(Broken Culvert Removed)
aimg194.imageshack.us_img194_7629_bobcatculvert.jpg

(About to park the Bobcat in the spray field, my other rig parked behind it)
aimg828.imageshack.us_img828_732_bobcatspayfield.jpg

Ironically we ran into the Toyota Cruiser group again, was cool seeing them again. Over all it was a very productive workday(s), thanks again to everyone that made it possible. :beer:

really nice work guys. we were there doing a memorial run for a friend we lost way too soon in life and came across the work in progress. I think we were the first ones to cross. very nice work gang. love to see others pitching in to help keep one of the few places we have left in good order.

Its great to see the pictures/videos, thanks for posting them up. Like I said at the workday, from sitting inside the Bobcat you really can't see whats going big picture wise. Its about the same are regular wheeling, all you see is your spotter/whats in front of you. You can't see what your truck is actually doing. :beer:

Its hard to describe but that pictures is about as good as it gets. The sign in front reflecting whats going on in the background is great.

The pictures really prove a point about the workdays. We can bring a Bobcat out to every workday and take on big projects, but the Bobcat is only as effective as the people working with it. If it wasn't for the group working with the Bobcat, it would have just been one half sick guy riding a Bobcat around the trails. Thanks again. :beer:

Back