Uwharrie Kodak Update

0.000987%

That is the percentage of the uwharrie forest that the Kodak rock area takes up.

0.000987%

That is the percentage of the uwharrie forest that the Kodak rock area takes up.
You inspired me to look up my old Post. It was in regards to the guardrails, bypasses, and trail work:

Uwharrie NF is 50,645 acres.
There are approximately 20 miles of trails (im being generous I believe).
The trail is on average 50 feet wide (again, being generous in my opinion).
20 miles of trails at 50 feet wide equals 132 acres of trails.
Thats 0.2% of the national forest, and we have to fight with them over a tenth of an acre because people are going around a difficult section? I honestly don't get it. We are being routinely hassled over a drop in the bucket. They are using us to relegate ourselves into our 0.2% and ONLY our 0.2%, how dare we have more than that!

I sent a letter asking for justifications for the nonsense included in and left out of the report. It really appears like a boilerplate report that ticks off the necessary boxes as step X in steps A-Z, and the commenting period is step Y and they don't intend to really consider any alternatives.

I also saw that "Uwharrie OHV Fam" post and I couldn't believe it either. What in the hell. A losing battle it is, but damn, it's not a "if you can't beat em, join em" deal.

You inspired me to look up my old Post. It was in regards to the guardrails, bypasses, and trail work:

Uwharrie NF is 50,645 acres.
There are approximately 20 miles of trails (im being generous I believe).
more than 5 miles of generosity. When I do my ride a couple of times a week , I ride everything both ways its a tick over 29miles. Meaning about 15 miles.

I sent a letter asking for justifications for the nonsense included in and left out of the report. It really appears like a boilerplate report that ticks off the necessary boxes as step X in steps A-Z, and the commenting period is step Y and they don't intend to really consider any alternatives.

I also saw that "Uwharrie OHV Fam" post and I couldn't believe it either. What in the hell. A losing battle it is, but damn, it's not a "if you can't beat em, join em" deal.
Yes Robin and Darren are traitors for sure. That is all the the FS needed was an acknowledgement from the OHV community to cement their desire to close it. There was and is plenty of alternatives to the condition that Kodak had become. But when they were heading up FOU, I never felt they were part of the OHV group, they had their own agenda.
Saw this just now. I find this infuriating. I personally know the husband and wife who run this page, many of you do too. But this is very disappointing, as I think the whole thing is ridiculous that such a tiny area was affected when compared to 50k+ acres of land. We hurt less than 1 acre, and we offered to do WHATEVER they deemed necessary to keep it open.

View attachment 290148

Speaking of FOU, is it dead?

Interesting example you cited.
I just did a quick google and couldnt find it.
But in the 1980s there was a massive research study done that found that boating had zero ecological impact on a body of water.
That study cost like $25MM in 80s dollars and was funded almost exclusively by marine manufactures (boats and engines).

BTW you can also look into how many lakes are technically on USFS property. Its not as many as youd think, but some significant ones are in there.

I say its an interesting example because there was legislation introduced 2 years ago by the Sierra club to ban the use of outboard engines on all domestic bodies of water.

that study doesn't take in to account the modern wake board boats. several smaller lakes up here in the mountains are trying to figure out a way to band wake board boats due to the erosion they are causing to home owners property and damage they could be causing to the earth dams.

that study doesn't take in to account the modern wake board boats. several smaller lakes up here in the mountains are trying to figure out a way to band wake board boats due to the erosion they are causing to home owners property and damage they could be causing to the earth dams.

That’s easy. Boaters are ultimately responsible for their wake. If their wake causes damage, the operator is liable. There are already general statutes that regulate this. Some enforcement of the statutes would be all it takes.

Oh I agree.
And anyone with any education in wildlife or ecology rolls their eyes at any study that finds "zero ecologial impact" (here is a hint - breathing in nature causes ecolgical impact - harmful impact would have been correct but zero impact discredited the whole deal) .

The point I was making is that scientific research findings are for sale to the highest bidder

Oh I agree.
And anyone with any education in wildlife or ecology rolls their eyes at any study that finds "zero ecologial impact" (here is a hint - breathing in nature causes ecolgical impact - harmful impact would have been correct but zero impact discredited the whole deal) .

The point I was making is that scientific research findings are for sale to the highest bidder
I agree there's no ecological study can show zero ecological impact. Yes trails impact the local ecosystem. Are they harmful probably not. If endangered plants are your concern collect seeds and start growing them to plant back in the forest. Ure isn't that unique of ecosystem anything that can survive near kodiak rock most likely can survive in other parts of the forest.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I’d let kodak rock go if they can find an equivalent off of Daniel or Dickey bell to open up as a replacement!

Edit:

Efforts should at least be made to preserve total trail miles. So they want to permanently close down something, then they need to open up an equivalent replacement :flipoff2:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
FOU = F√¢k Over Uwharrie

I understand this might be like asking a 20 something not to have sexual relations but... The amount of money the FS makes from OHV has to be in the hundred thousands if not more per year. If we stop the flow of money with a demand to reopen the trail then we might have a fighting chance. This could also backfire. Can we make a plea for restrictions? Maybe only certian people can go on the trail. Possibly pay a higher price for an all exclusive pass? There has to be a way to make this trail reopen. You guys mentioned other trails they closed in the past, we had more at one point? Sadly the one trail I wanted to ride with my JKU is now closed. 10 or so years ago I went up KR several times and loved it. This can't be the end.

I understand this might be like asking a 20 something not to have sexual relations but... The amount of money the FS makes from OHV has to be in the hundred thousands if not more per year. If we stop the flow of money with a demand to reopen the trail then we might have a fighting chance. This could also backfire. Can we make a plea for restrictions? Maybe only certian people can go on the trail. Possibly pay a higher price for an all exclusive pass? There has to be a way to make this trail reopen. You guys mentioned other trails they closed in the past, we had more at one point? Sadly the one trail I wanted to ride with my JKU is now closed. 10 or so years ago I went up KR several times and loved it. This can't be the end.
You/y’all got to understand. The Forest Service DOES NOT CARE if the trails are open! They would rather them be closed because it makes their job easier!

You/y’all got to understand. The Forest Service DOES NOT CARE if the trails are open! They would rather them be closed because it makes their job easier!
Oh I understand but my point is that it should never have been up to them in the first place. It's public land and the public should choose.

The Forest Service DOES NOT CARE if the trails are open!
My point is our contribution dollars to OHV per year pays for FS salaries. The fewer amount of OHV traffic will impact their number of jobs. No OHV traffic means there is no need to supply 100 officers. This in turn will decrease that number to 50 officers. Passes help pay for salaries and only god knows what else. Honestly the amount of new jku owners are killing us even more. Far too many idiots that don't have a clue what they are doing. Perfect example is last Thursday, I saw a JKUR coming off Wolfden 4L and fully locked. Seriously?

I have never been an active member and usually just read many forms and wheel with a friend or two. But life is too short to continue to go through life as a recluse. I plan to become more familiar with everyone on the trails and here as well, and do my part on the trails with volunteer days.

Oh I understand but my point is that it should never have been up to them in the first place. It's public land and the public should choose.
Actually it is owned by the URE Indians I believe and the FS manages it. I may have that wrong but that is my understanding. This will never reopen. Public trails systems in the East will continue to close because its more work for them to maintain and patrol. Want to make a difference go to work days.... just my .02!

Want to make a difference go to work days.... just my .02!

Only problem with that is the FS has burnt the bridge down for most of the volunteers.

Only problem with that is the FS has burnt the bridge down for most of the volunteers.

In that they aren’t crediting/counting the volunteered man hours anymore?

IIRC that used to be the big catch on volunteer days. Increase attendance meant better funds for maintenance somehow.

IIRC that used to be the big catch on volunteer days. Increase attendance meant better funds for maintenance somehow.

Yes to my knowledge that is still the case. They apply for grant money for the volunteer hours. I still go but not like I use to. Too much to do around here......

The Kodak workday burned a lot of people along with how some other things have been handled. Being lied to usually doesn't sit well with most.

Yes to my knowledge that is still the case. They apply for grant money for the volunteer hours. I still go but not like I use to. Too much to do around here......

I used to go to every work day I could for many years, life has taken over more recently. My big reason for going was that all the hours were going to get URE more allocations from the FS and allow for more grant money... has either rof these things ever happened? (this is not antagonistic at all, I am genuinely asking because I have never heard that it has)

Back