Uwharrie 4x4 Cross - OFF TOPIC Q&A replies, moved here

I would have all the ducks in a row before going to Pirate. If not, you'll be flooded with questions, calls, posts, e-mails, etc 10X what you are getting here on NC4x4. At that point, everyone would be too skeptical to participate

I agree, this should definitely be a point discussed at the roundtable meeting, I believe bringing pirate in would be a good step to promote this event but we better damn sure have everything in order before we do so other wise it will crash and burn very quickly.

I would have all the ducks in a row before going to Pirate. If not, you'll be flooded with questions, calls, posts, e-mails, etc 10X what you are getting here on NC4x4. At that point, everyone would be too skeptical to participate

Roxywheels will kill the post if he doesn't buy a yellow star to advertise the event.
IMHO, I'd stay off Pirate the first year. There are enough trucks around the SE that would come. Going to Pirate could be good, but also it could be over whelming, quickly.

IMO, Pirate4x4 is a double-edged sword. If you get in good with the right people, you will have TONS of support and sponsors. On the other hand, if there is ANY descent by certain people or they decide to treat you like the rest of the newbies, then you will be publicly hanged. Maybe this is a topic for the meeting on Friday?

Leave Pirate out of it for now. We'll make room for the international a-hole convention once the first go round bugs are worked out. Im sure the national advertising will get it over there eventually anyway.

I agree on leaving it off Pirate. Pretty much everyone of any consequence on Pirate is on the West Coast, they haven't heard of Uwharrie, and probably could care less, plus they all think that all the rocks worth crawling on are out West. They'd probably turn it into a Triple Skim Latte'-drinking whine festival before long anyway.

Pirate will pick this up when he starts to advertise. I predict people will travel for $10,000. Heck, guys are traveling for KOH and I don't think there is any money in that at all.

If I was running this show I'd get in touch with Crawl magazine asap so I got some coverage published while there was still enough time for people to prepare for it. I don't see myself winning this outright but I think a little practice, local knowledge, and luck might help me finish in the money. Selfishly I don't want lots of pro driver xrra guys in the race but I predict they will be coming.

Just a thought here guys.
I don't think you CAN keep it off of Pirate, w/o it going badly.
Inevitably, overt he next 4 months, somebody on that board will hear about this and post up a link to the page, or even to this board/discussion, with a big WTF. Then all shit will break loose.
You can't hide from the internet.
I mean, look at what happened here. Somebody posted up a "hey thsi is curious" link, and here we are 2 days later with 4 million posts about it.

I think teh organizers will HAVE to go directly to Pirate, w/ all ducks in a row first as mentioned. Better plan to pay for that star.

I agree with ratlabguy, I think if he doesn't go to pirate now, then when they hear about it just as we did, the sh*t will hit the fan. He needs to go buy a yellow star and then send Lance a pm. Once he gets Lance on board, then make a thread about it with Lance backing him.

Most hardcore wheelers from Pirate have never heard or been to UNF. I don't think it would pose a WTF scenario. I can tell you if I read on Pirate that there was an event paying that kind of cash, I'd load my happyass up in the truck and drive for as many as 10 hours to get there and try to compete. I really wouldn't care if I'd been to the place or not, as a matter of fact with this kind of notice, I'd go pre-run the course a few weekends before. But that's me, I like cash.:lol:

I think it should at least be posted on pirate, lot of promotion could come from one thread.

Question posted...

Q) How is the prize $$ amount or value determined ?

Site says - " Note: Award proceeds will be 50% Cash and 50% Prizes."

So using the top $10,000 prize/award. That would be $5,000 cash and $5000 in prizes..

How is the prizes $$ amount is determined ?

MSRP ?
Vendor ?
You?
Averaged retail price using several sources.

I guess my concern would be...

Someone wins, and they get $5,000 cash, and a $5,000 Lift kit for a TJ.. ?

Are the prizes earmarked for a particular win/slot ?
Or are the prizes pooled up to be selected by the winers in some order ?

Most hardcore wheelers from Pirate have never heard or been to UNF. I don't think it would pose a WTF scenario. I can tell you if I read on Pirate that there was an event paying that kind of cash, I'd load my happyass up in the truck and drive for as many as 10 hours to get there and try to compete. I really wouldn't care if I'd been to the place or not, as a matter of fact with this kind of notice, I'd go pre-run the course a few weekends before. But that's me, I like cash.:lol:

Hey Greg, just a reminder - when your happyass wins $10k (cash and "prizes"), don't foerget taht the Feds are gonna get their happyass down your way at tax time and collect their 30% of it.

Hey Greg, just a reminder - when your happyass wins $10k (cash and "prizes"), don't foerget taht the Feds are gonna get their happyass down your way at tax time and collect their 30% of it.

30% of $10K = 3K, 10K - 3K = 7K which happens to be $7K more in my pocket if was going to compete and won.... yep, still looks positive to me :lol:

My Question:

Can we please start ANOTHER thread about this? :flipoff2:

Edit:
Oh and 10K is just going on if it was cash prize, so don't go techinical on me pointing out that it's split between cash and prizes... :rolleyes:

I've had to claim gambling winnings in years past..I'm well aware of the tax man. Something is better than nothing...even if you have to give up a part of it, to keep the majority of it.

I'm no accountant... but I would use my truck expenses as a tax break if I'm using it to make money... just like professional gamblers can write off their losses against their winnings only down to net $0... they can show no loss. I guess what I'm try to say, and not very well, if I won I would also use my truck expenses for that same year to offset my winnings... but again, I'm no accountant and this may not be able to be done.

I'm no accountant... but I would use my truck expenses as a tax break if I'm using it to make money... just like professional gamblers can write off their losses against their winnings only down to net $0... they can show no loss. I guess what I'm try to say, and not very well, if I won I would also use my truck expenses for that same year to offset my winnings... but again, I'm no accountant and this may not be able to be done.

I wouldn't think and individual would be able to do this, but I'd be more than surprised if a business couldn't get away with it.

Its not prize $$$, its compensation for your time and your hard effort and, in the end, is $$$ earned. You spent X amount to get the winnings, so you should be able to write that amount off??? Maybe, or maybe just wishful thinking

theres actually a hobby writeoff, I took tax law class about a year ago thou so I cant remember any of the details but it does exist . . .
You can write off the expenses associated with a hobby up to the amount of income associated with that hobby. So in you make $10k in this race but have $10k in expenses you won't have a tax bill. Businesses work better in that if your side business loses money it will actually count as a loss and lower the taxes owed on your day job. If it's the only thing you have going on it will count against the next year's tax bill.

FWIW, gambling works the same way as hobbies.

Yup, that's what I thought I had heard but wasn't sure. I know I don't have a fancy rig, but I know some of you guys have dropped some huge $$$ in some of these things and could easily write of any winnings from this event.

For you guys going to the meeting tomorrow; If insurance for the event is not inplace yet, then make no plans until it is written in stone.
If the dude can't show a policy then there is no reason to proceed.

can we wait to hold the event til after the fair tax is in place? just kidding...i wont start that here! this water is already muddy enough

Back