UTVs/FUVs?

Although its a cost effective approach and yes potentially stronger you guys comparing sidekicks and Jeeps to a UTV are smokin crack.....

Funny you say this. At my grandads farm we have a variety of "get around" vehicles that have changed as he has age and his mobility has shifted.
There is:
an older ATC 125 (3 wheeler) with a stupid oversized expanded metal and angle iron back rack - wheelie machine
a Honda foreman 400
an older ragged out 1st gen polaris ranger
an F350 7.3 straight drive dually
A ~95 ish ford ranger 4cyl auto
and an electric golf cart with turf tires and an enclosed cab.
And a Cj5, with a steel hard shell.

I stop by 2x a day and check on them and make sure they are doing well. Grandad is a worrier. Which means at least once a week I get sent to check the fence on the backside of the property. Without fail I jump in the golf cart every time. Jump in, step on the gas and go. If its not charged or was left somewhere else...the polaris ranger is my second choice.

Unless we are moving bales, or a cattle trailer I never think to jump in the trucks/jeeps.

Maybe its me, I dont know but its just faster/easier in and out...I dont think twioce about driving across the yard in one of the toys but grandma would shit a brick if I headed across it in any of the trucks.

Of course YMMV and personal choice and all that.

Without fail I jump in the golf cart every time. Jump in, step on the gas and go. If its not charged or was left somewhere else...the polaris ranger is my second choice.

Unless we are moving bales, or a cattle trailer I never think to jump in the trucks/jeeps.

Maybe its me, I dont know but its just faster/easier in and out...I dont think twioce about driving across the yard in one of the toys but grandma would shit a brick if I headed across it in any of the trucks.
I've thought about this same thing quite a bit. I have a TJ sitting right beside my house, but I will crank the dirtbike or 4wheeler or ride the mower down to the mailbox. I think its the lack of doors, not having to "climb" up into it, no dings and chimes and safety features, greater maneuverability, etc. Being "on" the vehicle moreso than "in" the vehicle.

Funny you say this. At my grandads farm we have a variety of "get around" vehicles that have changed as he has age and his mobility has shifted.
There is:
an older ATC 125 (3 wheeler) with a stupid oversized expanded metal and angle iron back rack - wheelie machine
a Honda foreman 400
an older ragged out 1st gen polaris ranger
an F350 7.3 straight drive dually
A ~95 ish ford ranger 4cyl auto
and an electric golf cart with turf tires and an enclosed cab.
And a Cj5, with a steel hard shell.

I stop by 2x a day and check on them and make sure they are doing well. Grandad is a worrier. Which means at least once a week I get sent to check the fence on the backside of the property. Without fail I jump in the golf cart every time. Jump in, step on the gas and go. If its not charged or was left somewhere else...the polaris ranger is my second choice.

Of course YMMV and personal choice and all that.

Its like flip flops and a beer. Comfortable and gets the job done....just not much real hard work going to happen. Unless your one of those Croc-Ster Fellas!
Crocs-03.jpg

uuuuugggggggahhh!

00R0R_99Pekd2w28n_600x450.jpg
2011, 4x4 in Jonesville for $4150 asking price. I am broke or I wouldn't have shared it.
@Caver Dave

Some are 72" wide. TJ is 63"
I believe you are confusing TJ track width and RZR total width. 2018 RZR 1000XP's are about 74" from outside of tire to outside of tire (older ones are even narrower). A non-XP RZR 800 or 900 is 50". A 63" track width on a stock TJ results in about a 70-71" outside width with the smallest wheels and tires available. Get a Rubicon or put on aftermarket wheels with wider tires, and you're quickly in the mid to upper 70's.

Last edited:
I believe you are confusing TJ track width and RZR total width. 2018 RZR 1000XP's are about 74" from outside of tire to outside of tire (older ones are even narrower). An non-XP RZR 800 or 900 is 50". A 63" track width on a stock TJ results in about a 70-71" outside width with the smallest wheels and tires available. Get a Rubicon or put on aftermarket wheels with wider tires, and you're quickly in the mid to upper 70's.

Plus he specifically said no go fast and work.
We arent talking RZRs at that point. Unless he wants to haul 1 small bag of dog food the bed is worth much on a RZR

Plus he specifically said no go fast and work.
We arent talking RZRs at that point. Unless he wants to haul 1 small bag of dog food the bed is worth much on a RZR
RZR bed is custom fitted for the Yeti Florida Georgia line edition 2 quart cooler.

I believe you are confusing TJ track width and RZR total width. 2018 RZR 1000XP's are about 74" from outside of tire to outside of tire (older ones are even narrower). A non-XP RZR 800 or 900 is 50". A 63" track width on a stock TJ results in about a 70-71" outside width with the smallest wheels and tires available. Get a Rubicon or put on aftermarket wheels with wider tires, and you're quickly in the mid to upper 70's.

No, I'm just being pedantic, same as you. The track width on some of the long travel setups is ~6ft.

No clue about stock TJ width but mine is 82” wide with 30 psi in the tars. As far as a utility vehicle we have had a gas powered club car carry all with a 3x4 dump bed for 10 years now. Paid about $2500 for it and only bought 1 battery and 1 service and about 3-4 gallons of gas a year.

Although its a cost effective approach and yes potentially stronger you guys comparing sidekicks and Jeeps to a UTV are smokin crack.....

Look at the op original post, the models listed are not the over grown credit card purchase buggies. The models listed if put beside a modern Club Car Golf cart are comparable. If 4wd drive and payload wasn't an issue I would have suggested a gasser version of the same. And I beg to differ that 800-1200 pounds in any wet surface on any compound is hugely different then 2000-4000k.
sami 2000k avg
sidekick 2300, 2900 avg
TJ 3200, 3800 avg

honda pioneer 1,025 102 long and only 50 wide

my dream.
Carry all club car diesel 4wd with a quick attach front and dump bed.....beyond the price most likely but still smaller and lighter. Above all else useful.

DIESEL
Overall Length: 121 in. (307 cm)

Overal Width::
58.5 in. (148.5 cm)

Overall Height: 82.3 in. (209 cm)

Wheelbase:
81.5 in (207 cm)

Ground Clearance: 7.3 in (18.5 cm)

Vehicle Weight: 1,710 lbs (776 kg)

Cargo Box (LxWxH): 48.0 x 49.8 x 10.9 in (122 x 128 x 28 cm)

Cargo Box Payload: 800 lbs (363 kg)

Total Payload: 1,200 lbs (544 kg))

Towing Capacity: 2,000 lbs (907.2 kg)
I think you are under-estimating the utvs and over-estimating the sizes of other things.

I compared the 2 when I first got my zuk.
After researching Polaris Razr 900s i called him up and picked it up... How they line up:

Rzr:

85hp. 80" wb, 1200lb

Tracker:

80hp, 86" wb, 2000lb

After stripping down the zuk, and adding tube work it was much lighter. With 3/4 ton axles, 4link, & 42s it was only 2500lb. I would argue the pic I posted is in the sub 2000lb range.

I know the are utvs at 50" wide but most aren't. A sami or early jeep are mid-50s. I don't think either really matter in this discussion, though.

Most UTVs are 60"+ wide which is the same as a yota, 90s jeep, or sidekick.

I would agree with Ron & Matt, I tend to use an atv/golf cart vs a vehicle cuz it seems easier/quicker. But in the winter or rain, I'd opt for enclosed and heated everytime.

We are talking stock size not 33s and such. Also talking less than a ft. difference in width mostly. To me, if you are clearing trails on your property they are likely either just big enough for an ATV or big enough for a tractor/truck/ whatever, so this conversation isn't really valid then.

Like many others in this thread I have been looking at UTVs. But can't find myself spending more than $4-5k when I have a zuk here for $1k that could be more capable in a weekend.
8fdb3eb83436c90a26e19097a97ff002.jpg

I think you are under-estimating the utvs and over-estimating the sizes of other things.

I compared the 2 when I first got my zuk

This. A 4cyl TJ is 3100# fully dressed, with hard doors, spare tire, and seats. In "UTV" mode, they're closer to 2600#. Sammys and sidekicks are less.

This. A 4cyl TJ is 3100# fully dressed, with hard doors, spare tire, and seats. In "UTV" mode, they're closer to 2600#. Sammys and sidekicks are less.

And a partially clothed (top & windshield) & outfitted (front push-bar & winch) Mule Trans4x4 (4 seater) is 1000#

Bingo.....it's like being on with a big girl. If you or her changes their mind.....it's still got big bones.

And a partially clothed (top & windshield) & outfitted (front push-bar & winch) Mule Trans4x4 (4 seater) is 1000#
Bingo.....it's like being on with a big girl. If you or her changes their mind.....it's still got big bones.
I understand what you guys are saying but you need to research the numbers.

2015 Kawasaki Mule™ 4010 Trans4x4

Dry weight stock is ~1600lbs.

I don't really see where it matters much though. My 500lb atv can tear up a wet yard, so anything heavier with the same contact patch would be no different.

I understand what you guys are saying but you need to research the numbers.

2015 Kawasaki Mule™ 4010 Trans4x4

Dry weight stock is ~1600lbs.

I don't really see where it matters much though. My 500lb atv can tear up a wet yard, so anything heavier with the same contact patch would be no different.
And the basic 610 gassed same year I posted earlier is just over 1000lbs....it's still a mater vs towmater conversation. Perspective. And I agree anything can tear up a yard. We had a pretty yard with one dog....kids added two more and it looks like world war three.

And the basic 610 gassed same year I posted earlier is just over 1000lbs....it's still a mater vs towmater conversation. Perspective. And I agree anything can tear up a yard. We had a pretty yard with one dog....kids added two more and it looks like world war three.
I would agree. I didn't really mean to start this long discussion, just wanted to point out that the are other options to a UTV/SXS that are arguably the same or better for less money.

I would agree. I didn't really mean to start this long discussion, just wanted to point out that the are other options to a UTV/SXS that are arguably the same or better for less money.
Hell, I've enjoyed it. Wasn't that what social media was created for, you know instead of doing constructive things.:)

Not exactly sure WHY, but have noticed a LOT of 660 Rhinos lately in the "reasonable" range (1/2 of most others 9/10ths of MSRP 10-12 years ago).
Deciphering the "bed" capacities... looks like 400# is 1/2 of the others?

Not exactly sure WHY, but have noticed a LOT of 660 Rhinos lately in the "reasonable" range (1/2 of most others 9/10ths of MSRP 10-12 years ago).
Deciphering the "bed" capacities... looks like 400# is 1/2 of the others?

People are selling the 660 rhinos and getting the newer 850 wolverine x2.

Rhino 660’s are awesome machines for the value and the price on them has probably bottomed out for the most part. Yamaha still hasn’t revamped its big brother, the Viking 700, so until they do it if they ever do it at all you’ll probably see the rhinos hang in the 3500-5500 range. The only real quirk with Rhinos is cold start can be a pain sometimes but there is a carb kit to help with that and also keep the valves in check. That causes some problems too.

The rhino 660 shares alot of similarities with our grizzly 660 4wheelers. And they have been tanks.

Just $.02 but its hard to beat the Mule or Teryx. They both meet all your requirements and are bulletproof. Most of them run 5-6k miles problem free.
They also come with a full 3 year warranty if there are any issues, no other UTV comes close.

***I kinow you said used, but you could find one still within warranty also possibly***

FWIW My buddy Scott come into the office yesterday and shared his weekend fun at Bluff Mountain Adventure park while at Pigeon forge

All they had were yamaha SxS's

Scott has a Terex and asked him why they didn't have any of those. He said they USE too, they've had them ALL, but the Yamaha's were the only thing that would hold up to the constant abuse. I could tell that hurt Scotts ego a little :lol: but I have to give him credit, he DID actually repeat that information.

Not sure if that helps you any...just passing that tidbit along

Back