UPDATED ***Yoke, cap retention

Sam,

Check out this pic of a Suzuki d-shaft. This is what a flat flange looks like. The U-joint is captured in a "companion flange" (d-shaft industry name for it) at the end of the d-shaft that terminates in a flat flange. Then you would get a corresponding flat flange yoke for your axle.

dshaft00c.jpg

Here's a pic of a Ford Exploder d-shaft with flat flange and the corresponding pinion yoke:

flanges2.JPG

Another pic:

awww.pirate4x4.com_tech_billavista_PR_shaft_CV_20shaft_20parts.jpg

Hope this helps!

Perfect dude, thx! My guess is the one i am getting will be like the exploder flange deal!

(Top of my dshaft is the companion yoke deal, so I wondered if the bottom would be too)

Sam

Ok, here is the update: Bought the pictured 'flanged yoke' and when I went to install the yoke part, it was TOO BIG for my pinion. When I slid it down over the splines...the yoke itself (splines end) was prob a full 1/8 to 1/4" bigger around and thus the splines did not 'catch', ie I can turn the yoke around without the splines engaging.

So...this flanged yoke if for a slightly larger pinion gear than mine (circumfrance of the splines)

Now...I am really hoping to find another flanged yoke that WILL fit...since it does look much stronger.

SO...my question for everyone is...what is a good source of these? If you do a search for 9" yoke on ebay mostly you get the 'standard' yoke that uses ubolts to retain the ujoint. If all else fails I WILL go back to that...but would prefer to use the stronger flanged style if I can.

I will start a second thread for the "chipped" piece in my dshaft yoke...but all thoughts are welcomed.

Thx a billion or two

Sam

http://community.webshots.com/user/shinton1970

Oh yea....you will notice the flanged yoke style is almost 2 inches SHORTER than the other style...I am wondering(betting) this may not work since the gear will stick out too far? (Thus interfering with ujoint?)

I am afraid it looks right now like the flanged yoke isn't gonna work in my application... :(

Sam...(gonna put on antiwrap bar which will solve my issues anyway)...Hinton

Back