Universal TPMS?

rockcity

everyday is a chance to get better
Now that I'm in the home stretch with the buggy build, it's time to consider trailer upgrades for the upcoming trips.

In the past, low air pressure has been my worst culprit and destroyed more tires than I can count. If I could catch the low air issue sooner it could save a tire, wheel, and fender and offer peace of mind.

So, I'm in the market for a universal TPMS for the trailer.

Anyone have any input on some they have used or experienced? I have a typical dual axle trailer but carry 2 identical spares so I'd like something that is expandable to at least 6 tires. It would be nice if each monitor/tire could be labeled in the system so I actually know which of the 6 tires is low while towing. :)

Input?

We put systems on rvs at work, they all seem to be junk. Work good for awhile then mess up, reset or reprogram and works good for awhile longer.

Do you not check air pressure before you leave? I've never had a trailer tire issue (knock on wood) and it seems odd for somebody to have so much trouble. You picking up screws/nails? Just going flat halfway through a trip? Cheap tires? Is it always the same trailer your having trouble with?

I have been looking at the FOBO system which offers Bluetooth linking to my phone for easy monitoring but I know there are other similar options out there.

I ways check my tires before I leave and periodically through the trip. But, it can be a pain if it's cold, raining, dark, or if I have the kids. Having a monitoring system will not only make it more convenient but will allow me to monitor pressure while I'm driving, not just when I stop for fuel.

Trailer tires don't seem to be quite as durable as my truck tires. Plus, because the trailer is wider, it tends to track beyond the line sometimes and is more prone to damage while driving.

So, if I can spot a minor issue while driving, I can stop and get it repaired rather than continuing on unknowingly until the tire blows or 200 miles down the road at the next fuel stop. :)

I have also thought about this. I have been plagued with premature trailer tire blow outs. still not sure of why the 1st blew. tread peeled off. next 1 was from loading these wide rigs and bent a fender. almost overloaded and the tire started rubbing. that didn't last long. def would be nice to have an in cab monitoring sys. post if u find 1 that's not a hassle as he explained

Not using trailer tires might help, load range E truck tires on our goosenecks and never had a problem. Maybe that's it or I've just been blessed with good trailer tire service. I'll check what systems and price we have at work.

Right now I'm leaning towards the FOBO system. It works like any other but links to your phone and uses an app to monitor each sensor. The sensors screw on like caps and you don't need new valve stems so no need to run to the tire shop. They also offer a Tee valve stem for even easier monitoring and filling up with air without unscrewing the monitor.

For $90, it's nearly worth the $ to give it a shot as nearly every other system out there is typically $150+

For $90, it's nearly worth the $ to give it a shot as nearly every other system out there is typically $150+

I do not see where you can buy the system you need for $90. For a trailer, especially running trailer tires or LT truck tires, you will need a system that does 80 psi. Seems to me that the FOBO Tire Plus is the only one of theirs that does that and it is $229 on their site or Amazon. The FOBO Bike (with only two sensors) is around $97.

What's the range? I looked into it at one point, but the sensors didn't broadcast far enough to get to the cab of the truck, so you needed a repeater, which added more cost. Reviews were also spotty, seemed like none of the systems were reliable.

In the end, the system cost more than I could justify spending.

What's the range? I looked into it at one point, but the sensors didn't broadcast far enough to get to the cab of the truck, so you needed a repeater, which added more cost. Reviews were also spotty, seemed like none of the systems were reliable.

In the end, the system cost more than I could justify spending.

I would think to solve the range issue you simply put the receiver/bluetooth transmitter in a small tupperware box on the nose of the trailer and let bluetooth to your phone handle the longer distance. If it needs 12V power then tap into the 12V+ in the trailer harness.

I haven't checked range yet but on the Q&A section of their website, it says 30 meters line of sight.

Worst case, put the transmitter on the trailer and increase the distance with the added range of the Bluetooth with your phone.

I do have a 12v plug inside my toolbox that would work well for this exact thing.

Aside from this system, I'd likely have to get a $350 big truck system.

Really, it would be nice to use factory Ford sensors and clone them into my current TPMS on my truck. But I doubt the truck's system is designed to read 10 tires. :(

Really, it would be nice to use factory Ford sensors and clone them into my current TPMS on my truck. But I doubt the truck's system is designed to read 10 tires. :(

You better patent that idea ASAP and license it back to Ford. They can market it as an exclusive option!

You better patent that idea ASAP and license it back to Ford. They can market it as an exclusive option!
2017 superduty is supposed to be able to program up to six trailer tires using Ford sensors and read them on the dash per the article I read in diesel power magazine!

Dill makes (or maybe did make?) a nice trailer TPMS system, but I can't find it on Tire Rack anymore. It was about $250 but was one of the nicer aftermarket setups on the market.

Edit: Found it. Aftermarket Systems

Schrader makes a few systems as well. I know there are a lot of aftermarket systems on the market, but a lot of them are complete crap. Do a lot of research on whatever you're thinking about getting, and beware the cheap stuff. Dill and Schrader are the industry leaders for valve stems and TPMS parts (Dill makes the NASCAR valve stems and aircraft stems too) so I have some level of trust with them.

Schrader SCH-WRK-4PC Wired Display
Schrader SCH-BRK-4PC Wireless Display

That's cool, the Schrader systems can monitor a 5th tire (spare tire!) if you buy an extra sensor. At $135 I think I'll buy one of those wireless systems for the wife's car. She's getting new tires soon and is on my old winter tires from Colorado to squeeze all the money out of them. During those ...harsh... NC winters.

Last edited:
I hate TPMS.
Me too. Every spring and fall there's just a line of cars pulling up at the shop complaining about a light that comes on in the morning but goes out in the afternoon.[emoji35]

Me too. Every spring and fall there's just a line of cars pulling up at the shop complaining about a light that comes on in the morning but goes out in the afternoon.[emoji35]

That would drive me apeshit. Sell them an expensive nitrogen purge and a tire gauge. You should at least make some money from their complete lack of basic knowledge about that box of metal/glass/rubber that they horribly neglect.

Back