Transmission cooler

justjeepin86

So, drove my jeep around a while today in the hot weather. I have the 700r4 plumbed into my conversion radiator and the engine and trans were getting a little too warm for me. I think pulling the heat from the trans out of the radiator would help. Thinking of grabbing an aux cooler with fan. What size should I look to get, I've never had an auto before that wasn't factory? Jeep YJ with 350 and 700r4.

Most factory setups run through the heat exchanger and then through an external cooler, if they have one. The heat exchanger helps bring it up to temp and then kinda keep it in a certain operating range.

It probably won't hurt to just run yours through just an external though.

Does the 700 have a lockup converter in it?

I have this one:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...4MvDVInEvOPSj9JRiZOmlxxcXCW-MN1hoCr_4QAvD_BwE

My C6 never, ever gets above 170* even with a 3000 stall and climbing up to Mason Jar

You running a fan on it, or just in front of the radiator? I'm thinking I need to remove the heat completely from my rad, maybe not though. Like Jake said, I may run it through both, but I need to get engine temps down too. I could probably stand a larger cooling fan on the rad, but I don't have much room. That could potentially solve my whole problem.

[QUOTE="Croatan_Kid, post: 1712642]

Does the 700 have a lockup converter in it?[/QUOTE]

Yes

I'm running a fan as my cooler is remote mounted in the bed area of my truck.
I needed to get it away from the heat under hood

See here:
IMG_20190716_184721052.jpg

I did mine the same as Jody on my jeep. The fan is very important. I made a few trips with no fan on the cooler and it got insanely hot.

I did mine the same as Jody on my jeep. The fan is very important. I made a few trips with no fan on the cooler and it got insanely hot.
I was speaking more of putting the cooler in front of the radiator or mounting it with it's own fan. I don't think my fan pulls enough to have it with the rad though.

I run that type cooler on mine too. No trans heating issues. Mine is mounted underneath above the axle, but to the side.

That's might frickin impressive. Factory standard operating temp is in the 190-200*ish range, right...much less under load with minimal air flow (aside from the fan).

I'm super happy with it. I used it on my old Fox Body with similar results. It cooled my C6 down drastically compared to a plate style in front of the radiator

Back