trailer wieght

BIGDADDYF350

I have seen alot of talk about heavy duty trailers in this section and I just wanted everybody to know that if you pull a trailer with a GVWR of 10,000 pounds or more you must have a CLASS A lic. just dont want anyone to get a big fat pink slip :mad:

Good catch. To clarify, the is a class A classified license, and is not a CDL (which has its own class A thru C grades).

Here is the link.

Thanks for the help NC MOG. I wasnt sure where to get the legal explaination.

BTW Guys and Gals it dosnt matter if the thing is empty they go by GVWR

I guess I am supposed to have a class A licence. UHHH OHHH. My truck has a GVWR of 20k. I regulary see 15-17k :eek:

Anyone here know what the requirements are to get a Class A non CDL licence? THe DMV page is confusing to me. :confused:

Blue - I'm fairly confident they go by the trailer's GVW, not the truck's (trucks don't matter until ther GVW is 26,001+). If that was the case, everyone with a diesel truck would need a class A.. :D

From what I was told, it's a very similar test to a CDL exam...

Seeing as how I have next week off, I'm going to talk with DMV and will report back the complete skinny on what it takes.

Rich said:
Blue - I'm fairly confident they go by the trailer's GVW, not the truck's (trucks don't matter until ther GVW is 26,001+). If that was the case, everyone with a diesel truck would need a class A.. :D

From what I was told, it's a very similar test to a CDL exam...

If that is the case I am in good shape. My trailer loaded with two rigs weighs between 7-8k. My camper should be no problem. If they apply the same thinking about a Class A licence as they do "weighted tags" then I am in trouble.

Thanks in advance NC_Mog for checking it out. :)

Ridgerunner, I think you may be misunderstanding. If your trailer has a weight rating of 10,001lbs or up, then you must have the class A. The weight of the trailer, loaded or not, doesn't matter. All they are going to look at is the weight rating. If you look on the back of your license it will say that.

To say it again, a CDL is not required unless the weighted tags on your truck are registered for more than 26,000lbs. Your entire rig, trailer included may not weigh more than what the tags of the truck are registered for.

Its funny to me to see brand new 4x4 crew cab powerstroke f-250s come off the the lot without a weighted tag. A normal tag is good for no more than 7000lbs total combined weight. The truck weighs that with a driver and full tank of fuel no problem.

So the Class A certification upgrade is only required if my my trailer is rated for over 10k. OK, That seems odd of DMV though. :confused: For everything else the laws are base on combined gross. :confused: I relly did not want to visit DMV next week to get a upgrade on my licence anyway. :) As for tags. I have my truck registered for 17k. Its a shame that we are required to pay such a high price for tags. :( Thanks for clearing that up. :driver:

Well, no.... it's not that odd. Every state has a max GVW for trailers before you have to upgrade your license. Most are 10k, but some are 12k, etc. As for straight trucks, anything less than 26k towing a trailer less than 10k is fine. So you could put 36k tags on your truck, so long as the truck itself weighs 26k or less, and the trailer weighs 10k or less.

I dunno much of anything about the non-commercial class A... but I can tell you that my CDL is considerably more expensive than a regular license. There was a flat fee, plus $10/yr, plus $1-2 per year per endorsement, etc. I'm pretty sure it was about $100 or so the last time I renewed it.

A Little More Help, Class-c Single Or Combination Vehicle Less Than 26,001# Trailer Less Than 10,000# Class-b 26,000# And Up Single Or Combo Vehicle, Trailer Less Than 10,000# Class-a 26,000# And Up Trailer More Than 10,000# ;)

Back