Trailer Swaying Left to Right Over 50mph...HELP

looks to be a 1 ton axle...and Id wager money that you got more than 2k between the 2 bikes and the weight of the trailer....

Am I the only one who thinks that two 4 wheelers may be to much weight for that axle and spring combo? I've never known trailers of that size to be able to carry much weight comfortably. Just what is the weight rating of that trailer?

He's plenty within limit of the trailer's 2000/2500 capacity.

Loaded up the wheelers & took a picture. The trailer is kinda sitting lower than the truck where its at in the yard, when I hauled them this past weekend when the truck & trailer were sitting on level ground everything looked level. The red atv is 520lbs. & the green is 439lbs. The trailer tires are rated 900lbs each. The axle & springs are rated either 2000 or 2500, tagged was scratched so I couldn't read it clearly. So the ATVs alone weigh 959(roughly cause those figures were dry weight from the Honda manual) I had checked the trailer's tire pressures a few weeks ago & they were good but not exact sure of their setting at this time.

you only have 1800lbs of tire....
Thats MAX....most every manufacturer will recommend not exceeding 80% for extended periods...you get to define extended periods.

Add in the weight of all the steel and the wood of the trailer, the weight of the axle itself (remember the tires support it), fuel, gear etc...Id bet you are all over that 1800lb number....but I am a big fan of overkill...

After looking at the picture, I would move the rear axle back 10-14". Lengthening the tongue will not add much tongue weight at all. I bet you've got less than 100 lbs of tongue weight with it loaded like in that picture.

i made a trailer from a old single jetski trailer. used a 4x8 sheet of plywood and some 2x6 and 2x4 for the frame work and th sheet of 5/8 ply on top.

little tong heavy with quad on it got to use the jack to pick it off the ball. but she tows like a dream and backs up real easy .

the axle is almost to the rear of the trailer basicly. and i think in the end the 10-12" extension will help you on the trailer. but i bet the best mod will be moving the axle back about 12" and reweld the brackets on.

Back