Trailer repair in Winston Salem?

BigClay

Knower of useless ZJ things
So I went to go get my trailer this weekend and apparently I was lucky I got it back to storage the last time. Looks like a blew a bearing. I have always used Colfax trailer, but looking to see if there is a place closer.

FA6C0DBA-A4A2-450D-A2CA-68EB4B045736.jpeg

Looks like you lost the dust/grease cap.. Trailer bearings are easy to do.. Jack it up and see if you got play in the wheel bearings. If not, get a new cap and roll out.

lots of play in the wheel, but honestly haven’t had a chance to investigate further

Boy im glad it has a sticker to let me know that thats a wheel! Never woulda guessed!!!

Boy im glad it has a sticker to let me know that thats a wheel! Never woulda guessed!!!

:D Never even noticed but right there with you hahaha, I guess that’s what you get with Chinese pieces of junk

If the hub is not damaged from a loose/broken bearing race or whatever, RockAuto has the Timken race/bearing sets for really cheap. You just need to find out what set you need, and search by part number (Set 17, etc).... I think the Timken sets for the boat trailer are just over $5 each, so I can do bearings and races for both hubs for about $23 total. Plus seals.

Wait.....you own a Jeep and go wheeling and don't know how to fix your trailer wheel bearings? Sorry, I had to. lol

I guess Tj's and Xj's don't have locking hubs though.
that's what I was thinking but I was tryin to play nice.

If you need a bearing and race set in a pinch, TSC in Clemmons has them. Actually, there’s one riding around the the floorboard of my car. I would have tossed it it you when I passed you yesterday after work :rolleyes:

It is all back together, it was more than just the dust cap. The bearings were basically gone, the picture below is the largest piece we found when we opened it up.

On a side note, thanks to @Chris_Keziah i can now replace the other three by myself, not hard at all just have to watch someone do it the first time.

782D2A0F-4A34-43DA-A571-C6CFAF3630B7.jpeg

It is all back together, it was more than just the dust cap. The bearings were basically gone, the picture below is the largest piece we found when we opened it up.

On a side note, thanks to @Chris_Keziah i can now replace the other three by myself, not hard at all just have to watch someone do it the first time.

View attachment 305180

When you said the dust cap was gone, and there was lots of play in the wheel, there is no way I would reuse the bearings even if they looked okay. Not worth messing with possible bearing fatigue (from a lot of wheel slop under load) by reusing parts when new parts are so cheap.

Also, grease compatibility. Incompatible greases will often turn each other into liquid, or into a hard clay of sorts, so just clean everything out of the hub if you're not sure what's already in there. Grease is cheap.
For example, you can often buy lithium complex, aluminum complex, calcium sulphonate, and sometimes polyurea bearing greases all in the same isle of the parts store, and some of those are completely incompatible with each other.

Last edited:
When you said the dust cap was gone, and there was lots of play in the wheel, there is no way I would reuse the bearings even if they looked okay. Not worth messing with possible bearing fatigue (from a lot of wheel slop under load) by reusing parts when new parts are so cheap.

Also, grease compatibility. Incompatible greases will often turn each other into liquid, or into a hard clay of sorts, so just clean everything out of the hub if you're not sure what's already in there. Grease is cheap.
For example, you can often buy lithium complex, aluminum complex, calcium sulphonate, and sometimes polyurea bearing greases all in the same isle of the parts store, and some of those are completely not compatible with each other.
That's a level of greasiness I can get behind. Never new this about separation and or dissolving each other. Being stubborn with cleaning out parts all these years has inadvertently been a good thing.

Back