Trailer GVWR question and poll

ToaDisco

Alright, I currently have a 18' equipment trailer with dual 5200 lbs axles. The trailer was de-rated to 10,000 lbs (believe the limit for class C licenses is 10,001 and over)

I've been shopping around for a gooseneck and 99% of them are over that magic GVWR #, thus requiring a class A.

How many of you have these trailers with a GVWR over 10,001 lbs and still have a normal license?

Ever had any problems being pulled over and asked what kind of license you have? Or been asked after the fact?

Also, how hard is it to de-rate a trailer to under the 10,001 limit? I would only be considering a 25' or less gooseneck, so I should be good. I probably would be right on the limit though:rolleyes:

Well I forgot the poll. Guess it really isn't needed.

I guess I'm just tired of jumping through hoops just to tow a trailer. First is the 220$ to get the 16K tag, now to be "legal", I suppose I need a non commercial class A.

I sure am getting tired of the gov't getting their hands in everything, including my wallet.

If I'm not mistaken the rules for NC are now similar to SC. Your standard DL covers you no matter what the trailer weight, up to 26,000lbs of the GCWR (rig and trailer)
Your big thing is to be tagged and registered for that amount of weight. Again I am more familiar with SC, as I have towed 24,500 lbs on a regular license and I am cometely legal as I am tagged for that amount. NC changed the requirement if I recall.....I'll try and find it for you...

You may be right. I just got a new license, and it states "Any noncommercial single vehicle with a GVWR of less than 26,001 pounds. A vehicle towing a vehicle which has a combined GVWR of less than 26,001 pounds..."

I'm pretty sure my old license had the 10,001 lbs statement on there, so I'm not so sure now. Never really looked at this new one that closely?

Back