Trailer brakes engage when lights turned on?

Cperry

I rented an f-150 to tow some junk around while tow rig is fawked.

Anyway 2005 f-150 with a easy plug in and a relay. So i hook up the brake controller to easy plug wires, and plug relay into fuse box. the easy plug has 5 wires one extra wire is a brown wire that says illumination something and from the diagram is tied to the headlight switch. anyways brake controller worked fine, brakes good, no problems and then as night fall came i turned on the lights and trailer brakes engage. I figured brown wire 5th wire was for a more advanced controller than mine that has a light and diplay and that is a seperate power source for it to come on with lights, but i am guessing i am wrong and this was a couse of my problemo. Anyone know what to do with this wire, or why it was doing it.

I would just disconnect it and retest the trailor brakes, and see if the trailor lights come on as well? Obviously, the brown wire is a hot lead into your controller activating the brakes.

I had double/triple checked my trailer wiring before the jaunt to WindRocks in June. Worked fine on my towrig (Tenkosha Voyager w/ 6pin plug), but when plugged into my bros 2500HD (cheapo Valley w/ factory 7pin "RV" plug run thru Valley adapter)... everything went STOOPID! No trailer brake lights, no trailer brakes, & IIRC, intermittant turns... We switched a wire within the adapter, don't recall the logic, but the instructions said it was a possibility it would need switching.... nothing. Between my bro, myself, & LoMod, we finally figured out the freakin' "Daytime Running Lights" were causing the glitch. Some weird sequence of on/off/on on the light switch turned the DRL off and everything was fine! :mad:

Maybe not the cure, but a step towards figuring out your issue? :beer:

Back