Trailer Axles

TheGeneral

I broke an axle on my trailer today so I figured Id upgrade while im replacing it. It had tandem 3000 pound capacity axles on it and Im looking to go to a total of at about ten thousand pounds. Is it a good idea to upgrade axles on a trailer? Im pretty sure the rest of the the trailer would hold up just fine. Where can I get axles by themselves for a decent price?
Thanks guys
Justin

Not to be a dick, but what makes you "pretty sure the rest of the trailer will hold up just fine"?

When I look at new ones, there is a big difference in the construction of a 10k vs. a 7k trailer, it's more than just the axles.

axles

What Chip said. Red Trailer supply. I have bought several sets of axles from them.

I was hauling sandbags that were supposedly 50lbs each. Turns out they were closer to 75-80 pounds each thus overloading my trailer by a couple thousand pounds. While I was towing the trailer the springs wernt sagging or anything, and it was towing the same as it always did. Thats why I think the trailer would hold up to a little bit bigger axle. As far as the construction goes, I dont know why they only put 7000 pound axles (typo in the original post it was supposed to say 3500) under it in the first place. We have a 10,000 pound equipment trailer that is constructed exactly the same except it dosent have side rails on it and it stands a little higher off the ground.

Thanks for all the info guys. Does anybody know an address of phone number for redneck trailer supply??

Back