Trail Work Awareness Day/Events

DRaider90

Uwharrie Off-Road Volunteering
Something that has been briefly discussed is a way to raise awareness about the work days/trail work. I talked with Chris Cagle a little while back about this, and he was all for having it in the OHV Parking area at the Eldorado Outpost. Now this is going to take a nice amount of resources/planning/ideas etc to pull off. The goal is to hold one in October and one in November. One month holding it on a different day than the work day, and then another month holding it during a work day.

The basic idea is to set up a canopy and some tables/chairs and spread the word. But we will need stuff to bring in people/get people's interest sparked. An RTI Ramp comes to mind, among other things. We get some cool rigs parked out there and I am sure that will help bring people in, plus display our signs/cones/strobes etc would help too. But I don't think that will be enough. What other ideas/projects can we come up with to help draw people in?

Bring on the ideas/suggestions! :beer:

At the workday today, we "recruited" volunteers to help us move downed trees (that due to location could not be easily winched) twice. They would stop to watch/because we were blocking the trail and volunteered/or once asked jumped right in and helped. They and several others thanked us for the work.
My point is there are probably plenty of URE users that would be willing to help if they only knew when/how.
Maybe a flyer on the boards at the Outpost and campgrounds?

SSHHH, don't tell anybody, but two of the guys that helped were on ATVs. So maybe they are not all bad?

Glad to see you are back at it, Eli. :)

Sorry I didn't make it this time... just too many irons in the fire this month.

How about this, when a trail permit is bought at the Outpost. A flyer is handed to the purchaser that explains what is being done and when. Permission from the FS would be aquired and flyers would have to be printed. Cris would have to be asked if this would be ok for the Outpost to do this. This would put the info into the hands of everyone that uses the trails whether it be a newbie or a regular. Also it would get the message to ALL the users, ATV's, motorcycles, and even hikers as well. just a thought

Oh and Don, I didn't notice you weren't there, must have been some other old guy!:flipoff2:

Oh and Don, I didn't notice you weren't there, must have been some other old guy!:flipoff2:
Sometimes the old guys do resemble one another. :lol:

BTW from another thread...
Your Hot Dog Guy! said:
Born Holly, Michigan. Moved here when I was 1year old (couldn't get a Union card).
...i recall reading, in ancient history, that Union Cards of that time period were chiseled in slate, therefore it is understandable why you couldn't stick around to get one! :flipoff2:

Tochee!

Swap meet at the Outpost? Maybe at Group camp with a little more shade!

Back