Toyota High Steer Problem

JDaniel85

I have a 1993 Toyota 4Runner with an SAS. I have no idea what brand the high steer kit is or the SAS. On the passenger side there is very little clearance for the tie rod and drag link To clear the leaf spring, and at full left turn they hit the spring. Is there a remedy to this? What can I do to correct it.

IMG_20160306_115553253.jpg
IMG_20160306_115553253.jpg
IMG_20160306_115559598.jpg

Those look like stock, flat springs! If you had some springs with some arch I would say the problem will probably go away...I will take a pic of mine in a min

Yeah the springs are pretty flat. I can't find any info on the high steer kit as far as brand goes. On a side note the passenger side tire looks to me like it is off camber. Top of the tire leans slightly to the inside. I have a knuckle rebuild kit on the way but I can't find any slop in them. Bent housing? I sure hope it isn't, because that's going to destroy my budget.

The thickness of you leaf pack isn't helping. Also some high steer arms are made with more rise in them than others.

I believe heims bring the steering down farther than TRE'S. And I would not want to run any spacer under them aside from a misalignment spacer.

If you pull that bottom leaf out of the springs you have now it looks like you will gain about 3/8" of clearance. That's what I would do.

Trail gear's arms sit up pretty high, but it's highly likely that's what you already have.

The very bottom of the spring has a shim to rotate the pinion angle. You think that will make enough room? Also here's a picture of the arms.
IMG_20160306_140548735.jpg

Ya, those are some OLD arms. Get you a set of Trail-Gear arms(which we have in stock), or a set of Marlin high steer arms. I've got 7 leaves in my packs, and have substantially more room. The arms you have aren't as high as the typical high steer arms.

Stinkbomb you think I can keep the setup I have and just change the arms and have the clearance. Will I need to change the tie rod ends?

If they're Toyota TRE's you won't have to, since it's a metric taper. Simply swapping arms will retain everything you have already, except the arms themselves.

Can I get another picture of the arms, from the front, like krehel24's pic, one of each side?

2nd the old flat arms.. Ive never seen ones as pictured before. Check the taper on the tie rod ends TRE. Common trail gear etc arms use fj80 TRE, if its something different on the truck now buy the right ones from your favorite parts vendor.

I've got tall pack rancho 44044 +1 leaf up front and mine clear with trail gear arms. Actual Spring lift height will change the drag link angle, not the tie rod clearance.
uploadfromtaptalk1457304361622.jpg

Here iabthe side view. I'm tempted to take the spring shims out for now. That will rotate the axle forward, sacrificing a little pinion angle for more TRE clearance till I get some new arms.
IMG_20160306_200040234.jpg
IMG_20160306_200054913.jpg

Nick,

Just saw you worked at ECGS, my buddy is actually dropping off my rear 3rd member there tomorrow. Do you know what a set of arms cost? You can pm me if you like and he can get them while he's up there.

Here iabthe side view. I'm tempted to take the spring shims out for now. That will rotate the axle forward, sacrificing a little pinion angle for more TRE clearance till I get some new arms.View attachment 211991 View attachment 211992
Check your pinion angles, and castor angles. I wouldn't necessarily change that when replacement steering arms are taller.

Is that a 2 joint front shaft or double cardan?

What is the current castor in degrees?

Oh ya, those arms are basically flat, high steer arms will cure that. I wouldn't worry about the pinion angle, if you have lockouts, I'd be more concerned with maintaining the positive caster on the street. And just call the shop, 919-672-2705, any of the sales guys will be able to get you straight.

Back