Toyota Front Axle Rebuild

rcalexander105

JV Wheeler
Broke my front R&P and have had 6-shooters sitting in the garage for a few years waiting to be put on. So, I took the time to pull the entire front axle out of the 4runner and do some maintenance.

My question: who has run trunnion bearing eliminators and are they worth the coin? I've heard people say absolutely but I've also heard of a lot of people never having trouble w/ the trunnion bearings. Cost difference is ~$300 on the knuckle rebuild kits so it's not inconsequential. It had Yukon trunnion bearings in it when I pulled it apart last night, and I haven't had any problems for the ~3 years I've owned it. It was also @hurt4x4's axle before I got holdt of it and there's no telling how much abuse it had from him and for how long. Seems like as long as you don't put cheap bearings back in it may be fine, but I'd like to hear from folks more in the know than myself.

Where's the OG yota guys and / or the OG axle guys that can drop some knowledge and insight for me.

TIA

Friend of mine has a 4WS buggy with yota axles. Trunion bearings get murdered under this rig. They last maybe 2 rides. Eliminators will fix that.

If you don't have an issue, i wouldn't spent the coin.

I ran stock trunions for a few years when i was on a mix matched set of 36&37" iroks with no issues. Although when i stepped up to 40" reds, I went ahead and spent the coin on the eliminators for the extra peace of mind when on the trail.

I have the trunion bear eliminators kit from Trail Gear, got the kit as part of a package deal with some Rock Assult axle housing and all the upgraded goodies to build high end polished turd axles.

I never had an issue with the TBs before I eliminated them, but now I have peace of mind they will not be an issue.

When I think about buying an upgraded part I think about "is this going to prevent the weekend from being over" a lot of money is spent getting to and from the trail, will this upgraded part keep me on the trail.

Whatever will hold up to sticky Treps is what you should go with

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Just go link & stretch your rear (no homo) and get it over with

I went with the Front Range trunnion bearing upgrade and their keyed steering knuckles on my buggy. I'm still building it though so it will be awhile before I can tell you how it holds up.

But comparing stock trunnion to the upgraded ones, I think they'll be fine.
IMG_20190210_143555.jpg
IMG_20190210_143548.jpg

I don't have sticky Treps but bought some sticky Trebadors off craigslist a few years ago.

Say what? I’m confused, or there’s a joke I’m missing lol.

You do or don’t have Treps?

I do have Treps, the seller on CL posted them as "Trebadors" and complained about the lack of interest in the tires.
:lol:

That's the best way to find deals!

I do have Treps, the seller on CL posted them as "Trebadors" and complained about the lack of interest in the tires.

That’s awesome lol. Hope you got a deal on them since all the people searching for “Treps/Trepadors” were missing his add :D

That axle only had about a year of abuse from me on those bearings and may or may not have been jumped a time or two.
The diamond in my old Tacoma had the marlin 25mm bearings and keyed arms, I never once had and issue with that setup and and it was sent flying a few times on 40's.
If I build another Toyota based axle it will use the 25mm bearings.

I have no experience with the trunion eliminators, but trail gear has only a few things worth spending money on.

FullSizeR(2).jpg

Broke my front R&P and have had 6-shooters sitting in the garage for a few years waiting to be put on. So, I took the time to pull the entire front axle out of the 4runner and do some maintenance.

My question: who has run trunnion bearing eliminators and are they worth the coin? I've heard people say absolutely but I've also heard of a lot of people never having trouble w/ the trunnion bearings. Cost difference is ~$300 on the knuckle rebuild kits so it's not inconsequential. It had Yukon trunnion bearings in it when I pulled it apart last night, and I haven't had any problems for the ~3 years I've owned it. It was also @hurt4x4's axle before I got holdt of it and there's no telling how much abuse it had from him and for how long. Seems like as long as you don't put cheap bearings back in it may be fine, but I'd like to hear from folks more in the know than myself.

Where's the OG yota guys and / or the OG axle guys that can drop some knowledge and insight for me.

TIA

im in your boat. Down to rebuilding the front in my runner and hung up on the steering arms. I’m currently hydro assis but will be going full hydro with an aftermarket pump so I know with the current 37 stickies I’m going to have to upgrade. I’m leaning toward the marlin 25mm kit. The front range is a killer option from the keyed set up. Can’t decide on either!

im in your boat. Down to rebuilding the front in my runner and hung up on the steering arms. I’m currently hydro assis but will be going full hydro with an aftermarket pump so I know with the current 37 stickies I’m going to have to upgrade. I’m leaning toward the marlin 25mm kit. The front range is a killer option from the keyed set up. Can’t decide on either!

I went with the Front Range keyed arms after seeing how well it did in a buddy's Sami buggy on 39 reds and full hydro.

I went with the Front Range keyed arms after seeing how well it did in a buddy's Sami buggy on 39 reds and full hydro.
Did you machine yours? Or send them in? My concern would be them sitting around for a while till they run a batch. I’ve got a mill so milking them would be easy if it is just a lslot on each side.

I’m thinking flat arms with linked front end and drill to location for the tie rod holes.

Did you machine yours? Or send them in? My concern would be them sitting around for a while till they run a batch. I’ve got a mill so milking them would be easy if it is just a lslot on each side.

I’m thinking flat arms with linked front end and drill to location for the tie rod holes.

I sent mine in to be machined, they only charge $15 per knuckle to do the machine work. I'm still in the build process on mine so the wait wasn't an issue. It took a few weeks to get all the parts back, I think my buddy got his back in a couple weeks.

I like the keyed arms because it takes all the stress off the knuckle studs. I'm planning to abuse my setup once I get it on the trails. Full hydro, 37" reds, 2 liters of power :burnout:

I sent mine in to be machined, they only charge $15 per knuckle to do the machine work. I'm still in the build process on mine so the wait wasn't an issue. It took a few weeks to get all the parts back, I think my buddy got his back in a couple weeks.

I like the keyed arms because it takes all the stress off the knuckle studs. I'm planning to abuse my setup once I get it on the trails. Full hydro, 37" reds, 2 liters of power :burnout:

Great info thanks! I’m ordering for sure. I’m already destructive by nature so with the “big 3.0 of terror V6 brute” on 37 treps life will be hard on the pile in general. I’m in no hurry. Tore down linking both ends now so hoping couple months... you know how that goes.

Back