Toyota Diesel Dually Concept

jmg4runner

Not too thrilled about the choice for engine manufacturer but I guess they are big in Europe/Asia medium-heavy duty industrial stuff, but overall a kick-ass looking truck.

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/autoshows/sema2007/toyota/tundradually1.html

awww.pickuptruck.com_IMAGES_autoshows_sema2007_toyota_tundradiesel_intro.jpg

some tid-bits for the lazy people

Except for the Tundra Dually Diesel's custom split drive shaft, the entire driveline was lifted straight from the donated Hino truck.

Wedging the J08E 8.0-liter Hino inline-6 cylinder turbodiesel (normally intended for a 35K-pound truck) under the hood was a challenge. To get the 1,500-lb motor to fit, the body had to be lifted up off the frame by 3-inches, extra Deaver aftermarket leaf springs were added to the rear, and the engine compartment firewall had to be cut all the way to the back of the HVAC panel. The heating and ventilation knobs you see in the cab are strictly for show. The modified firewall ends about an inch-and-a-half behind those controls.

The engine has been "lightly tuned". Exact figures aren't provided but Mr. Victor says it's close to 300-horsepower and 600 lb-ft of torque - boosted from stock numbers of 220-hp and 520 lb-ft. He promises an engine life span of over 300K to 400K-miles.

Some consideration was given to using a solid front axle (like Ford's F-450 Super Duty) on the concept, but time constraints led to that idea getting cut.

The end result is a truck that's expected to be able to pull a 24,000-pound trailer using the Reese Signature fifth wheel hitch mounted in the back of the bed and welded to the Tundra's frame.

Hell yea, I'd buy one!

That would be great if they end up running a Hino motor. We had two hino's at work in old Hitachi excavators, seems like they were 85 or 86 models. One had 17,000 hours the other had 19,000 and both ran great.

8.0 liter inline 6 should have a nice torque curve....hehehe

I've driven a few Hino's & liked them

I like this thing so far$$$$$$$$

I had never heard of Hino before, but I know zero about industrial equipment so its not surprising. It's not a big name like cummins, but if it works it works :huggy:

Hino not a big name ? Check overseas, I'd have no problem buying 1 tomorrow. They just aren't big here yet... The new ULSD fuel will hopefully change that and bring more competitors to the market. Even the smaller diesel market..

Anyway.. Concept vehicles are cool.. It shows where their designers are thinking...

just bought a tundra 5.7 double cab today...and while i was talking to the sales manager ...i asked him if there was in fact a diesel 1 ton possibly in the works and he said that he had just gotten word that 2010 was a target year for such a truck...dont be surprised if what you see here is close to what will be the true truck...i cant wait...

I used to drive a crane, based off a Hino chassis/drivetrain, I think it was an FG? We never had a problem with it. That be an awsome combination.

yeah that was just a platform that they used so that they could put it in the show. they are not using the hino. they said more than likely if they dont use an in house diesel, which by now they would already have and probably just not talking about it, that they would be using a cat diesel thats supposed to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 380-400hp and 750tq. by far the baddest ass production diesel truck if they come out with it and hopefully they will make it with a solid front axles based off of their current rear 9.5" third member axle, but most likely they would go with a dana 60 or that AAM 9.25 front axle that dodge uses. should be sweet when it comes out though regardless what they end up putting in it

oh you know it will. every year the prices go up on diesel trucks. me and my dad spent 3 hours at crossroads ford the other day trying to decide whether or not to trade his fully loaded fx4 F250 Lariat in on a $52K 2008 F250 lariat. that wasnt even the most expensive lariat that they had. when we got the 07' the most expensive one out that wasnt a king ranch was about $51K. with all the new emissions stuff the prices went up and so yeah you can deff expect a well equipped 2009 or 2010 tundra 3500 to be about $54-$56K

but i can say that i would love to have one when they do come out. only wish that they would put a solid axle up front. sure would look a lot meaner

Back