Toyota cutting off

ProbablyBroke

does not torque to spec
I have a Toyota pickup that has been 3rz swapped. I didn’t do the swap, but it was done well as far as I can tell. ( I would have hacked it worse)
I took it on a few drives after buying it and didn’t have any issues with cutting off.
Two months ago, I took it into town, cut off once. Started up within 5 minutes. Drive for 15 minutes and cut off again. Went and got trailer, drove it on trailer.
Seems it will cut off after about 15 minutes of road driving.
I replaced the camshaft position sensor as well as the crankshaft position sensor because I’m lazier than I am good at diagnosing stuff. Truck still cuts off after 15ish minutes of driving.

I am now under the impression that it’s a heat soak issue or possibly the fuel pump working intermittently. Any suggestions beyond throwing parts at it are appreciated.

Last edited:
Hook up a light bulb, visible from the cab, into the fuel pump circuit and monitor. You'll be able to see if the pump is overheating by dimming of the bulb. You'll also be able to see if the circuit goes open and it has a control issue.
Obviously a fuel pressure guage would be a priority as well.

Could be a pinched breather from the tank. Unscrew to gas cap and see any pressure when it happens

When it cuts off, will it immediately re-crank?

Motor will not restart until it cools back down. Seems like it take 30 minutes, at least in 80-95degree heat. I’ll look into the light bulb. I haven’t tried to replicate it in the driveway. But I know my girlfriend is tired of picking me up on the side of the road.

What does it have for a fuel pump? Stock style pump in the tank with a return line?
Try driving it or let it sit in the driveway with the fuel cap off
Triple double check your grounds
That crank sensor is no fun to change
Any DTC?

I think your pump is getting hot and shitting the bed. Takes a nap and get it’s strength back.

With the timeline being consistent, the run time on the pump is consistent. Venting and the gas cap might be a variable.

But my money is on the pump.

If you have one of those cute little in-line fuel filters that are glass or plastic so you can see the fuel and filter ... take it off and see how far you can throw it.
I've never seen one that would not pull air and vapor lock or just starve out for fuel.

Nice find!

These were all really good suggestions. It turned out to be the relay to the EFI. As stated before it was cracked and getting hot. I’m assuming it has some sort of thermal switch. I did remove most of my grounds and clean the surfaces underneath/ reinstall. I have been daily driving the truck for the past month, but did have some sort of igniter failure code pop up and leave me in the driveway this week.

Back