Tin Can Rebuild V2.0

DannyH

smokey burnouts
So about 3/4 of a year ago I bought the runner from @StretchASU and have pretty much have been maintaining it and updating it so far.. this year I want to start making a few changes but I still want it to look like a 4 runner (a really crunched one).
Since I obtained the rig, I have destroyed a countershaft in the t case.. front ring and pinion.. rear ring and pinion.. tons of driveshaft bolts.. and today I broke an axle shaft at the flats... and there are probably many things I have forgotten..

The only major change I've made to the rig is a new fuel cell and 5.29 diffs and installed a warn 8274 winch due to busted harbor freight winch.

My plans for the future include:
-RCV axle shafts (drive slugs also for warranty)
-Clean up the rear/ more dovetail
-high pressure power steering pump and generally shooting for better hydro assist
-lockright diff in the front
-new tires possibly changing it up maybe just replacing 2 per year
-tube out the front and add fenders/ clean up appearance slightly
-corbeau seats

And more, but this is my current list..

Many of these plans will happen in the near future but some may be a while. I just want a thread to track my progress and get some feed back..

3d7ba4beeb528d422b359ed020185ccd.jpg

256b4309db6c7ec734f6f379556143b2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Step down to a 38ish tire and don't worry so much about breaking. You'll still have more ground clearance than a lot of people on tons.

Step down to a 38ish tire and don't worry so much about breaking. You'll still have more ground clearance than a lot of people on tons.
X2. 37 reds or treps, or 38.5 sx would be my suggestion in that order.

I'm thinking about stepping down. I'd like to try it before I fully commit.. scared I'll step down and hate them

i love anything that the body is beat to absolute shit. ZFG

Good to see you're still wailing on it. That thing would have still been sitting in the garage. 37" Reds or 37" treps would be much nicer to the driveline, but the 40's are just fun because it rarely hangs up on anything. Downside was it makes really easy to get that thing into situations where it can kersplode.

Good to see you're still wailing on it. That thing would have still been sitting in the garage. 37" Reds or 37" treps would be much nicer to the driveline, but the 40's are just fun because it rarely hangs up on anything. Downside was it makes really easy to get that thing into situations where it can kersplode.

I'm giving a spartan in the front along with RCV shafts a chance before I step down. I love how this rig works with the 40 inch stickys... maybe a bit more reliable with the spartan since turning under load is what killed my ring gear last time.

RCVs are ordered thanks to @Oliver's

Instead of tubing out the front I've decided to install fenders to make it look more full bodied.

Last edited:
aaah the old easy e machine. daylan would be proud.
how does it run?

Runs great.. leaks some oil only because I'm too lazy to redo the oil pan gasket.

Oh and here is how the nitro chromoly shaft went the other day at the flats...
3ef062f5a8912f74b99cb39c77e582c4.jpg

So while waiting on my shafts I started doing some house warming work

I started mocking up my fenders I was able fully install one but I'll have to wait on the passenger side fender because I need to use my hoist to straighten the inner fender in order to mount it.. and it is currently immobile until RCVs arrive..
after the mounting is complete I'll paint the and chop them... also planning to cut out the inner fender for tire clearance and move some of the mangled sheet metal out of there.

8554f5a8e702228e70ef107fcffd92fb.jpg

Moved on to mocking up the corbeau Baja RS seats after I made it as far as I could with the fenders.

3e908a6328b7a94ed34858990dbe47db.jpg

I'll finish up this project tomorrow by making the mounts out of the original seat mounts and some 1x1 square tubing.

They will be sitting a bit higher than pictured but pretty similar. I'm ready for some new harnesses, any recommendations?

Got a little done on the seat mounts today.. decided to use square tubing and the stock bolt locations for now.. later on I plan to tie these into the frame/cage

71e4e8ceacf3a29adafbcc30881ff43a.jpg

It looks like now would be a good time to clean the floor and bed line or something

So I ordered the RCV shafts about 2 weeks ago on a Monday. I received the shafts Wednesday morning after calling Olivers! This was probably one of the best dealers I've dealt with so far.

I installed the short side shaft the next day and became busy so I had to wait until today to swap the long side.

7563b3bd8831dd6dd1ff2e01adc025e4.jpg

After installing the shaft I finished up the passenger side seat mount. It sits about an inch higher than factory.

93fabe76537b32388eda27d3162e277b.jpg

I should have the drivers side finished in the next week..
After that I should be hitting the SHOP 2 weeks before the Harlan trip.

Let us know how the Spartan and RCVs turn out.

As of now I am just running 5.29s welded with the RCVs and everything has held u well. I've beat on it at the shop and Harlan so far... I'm pulling everything apart to see how it's holding up.

65edda5f28c239afd320181ef635ea91.jpg

Wheeled Harlan this past weekend.. and wheeled it hard.. I'm at the point something has to be done about the front clip of this vehicle.. it is so mangled it is loosing structure...

I have a couple of options here.
A. Chop the front, tube out the front, keep firewall back as it is.

B. Remove all sheetmetal and modify existing cage to look like formula Toyota.

Finally,

C. Strip to frame and driveline and start from scratch building full on formula Toyota chassis.

I really like the look of the formula Toyotas. Then again I like the look of my crunched tin can so I've been back and forth over which way to move. Any input on this subject would be appreciated!

In my opinion you should build a simple front end with some tube. Tie it into your internal cage, hang some fenders and a grill on it. I am in the process of building my front end similar to dirtdobber's. It's got that go fast look! Just my 2cents.#firewallbuggy!

It looks like in order to keep a "stock" functioning hood n fenders you'd probably need to start with all fresh inner fenders and core support. You could go with straight used/new parts and tube around/through it, or you could just start with the tube and hang fenders/grill off of that, and then figure how you want to mount your radiator, all your reservoirs, etc. And is this something you are going to try to get done quick, between rides, or is it something you can spend time on over the winter or something?

Lovin' the rig! Can't wait to make it out on a ride with you guys.

Tube the front, cut my hood down and throw it on there. Keep the sun roof. No fenders

This is looking like the way I'm going to go. It took to much hard wheeling to get it to look this way.

It looks like in order to keep a "stock" functioning hood n fenders you'd probably need to start with all fresh inner fenders and core support. You could go with straight used/new parts and tube around/through it, or you could just start with the tube and hang fenders/grill off of that, and then figure how you want to mount your radiator, all your reservoirs, etc. And is this something you are going to try to get done quick, between rides, or is it something you can spend time on over the winter or something?

Lovin' the rig! Can't wait to make it out on a ride with you guys.

Yeah man! Are you going to be wheelin the shop next month?
I'm not necessarily going for a stock look. In the end it'll probably be a firewall buggy.

Back