Toyo M/T's, BFG M/T's or Pro-Comp M/T's?

sqrl$$

I have an '04 CTD 4X4 that I daily drive and use to tow with. I am running 285/70/17 BFG muds on it now, and they are about shot. I want to go up to 33 or 35" tires now. I cannot decide which tire. I like the look of the BFG and Toyo, but the Pro-comps are alot cheaper. Who is running these tires, and how satisfied with them are you? Any other tire suggestions?

why m/ts on a dd, tow vehicle? Get some e load bridgestone dueler revos and be amazed at the ride

I was thinking the same thing. I'm always amazed at people who want to put 35's + on their tow rig/DD, especially an MT. But, it's all personal preference.

I've been running 35s on my truck since it had 1500 miles on it. I've got my 2nd set of Procomps on it now, this set has 25k on them and still 1/2 tread. I've been very pleased with this set. My 1st set didn't wear too well cause I had them on stock wheels, but I still put 30k on them.

Flipper said:
why m/ts on a dd, tow vehicle? Get some e load bridgestone dueler revos and be amazed at the ride

Bring your Revos and follow me towing the jeep across trail 1 at tellico on a wet weekend, or the parking lot at windrock.

Flipper said:

I'm with you... but then again, BFG AT's were too loud for my taste... went to all-season tires...

'Course, I can't understand anyone wanting to lift their tow rig and put bigger tires on it, either - unless they've got 4.10's and want higher effective gearing on a low-revving motor like a CTD.

No offense, but if you honestly think you need MT's to pull trail 1, I'd hate to think what you need for trail 2.. :D Can't speak for windrock, but regardless, I'd rather *gasp* unload the trail rig in the parking lot and drive the tow rig around to park it than put up with MT roar the other 364 days of the year.. But I did ~25,000 miles last year, and I'm a wuss.

Just personal preference I quess, but I just think the M/T's look better. I have a 1 ton dually and a Mitsubishi (for gas mileage) also, so I guess you wouldn't completely call it a daily driver. My truck also has 325/600 Hp/tq from the factory and I have done a little work to it, so I am pretty sure I am not going to have a problem towing a 4000# jeep even with only having 3.73's. I cannot complain about the BFG M/T's I have on there now, I have put 34K on them and the are still not down to the wear bars. I never even got that good out of factory tires on any of the diesels I have had.:driver: Haven't ruled out the Revos either, my cousin has a set and really likes them. He hasn't gotten any better mileage out of them than I have from my M/T's. Not sure if it is driving habbits or what.

Hey TW, how is the noise level of the Pro-comps? My M/T's weren't much louder than my previous A/t's until now that they have gotten nearly wore out.

Rich said:
No offense, but if you honestly think you need MT's to pull trail 1, I'd hate to think what you need for trail 2.. :D Can't speak for windrock, but regardless, I'd rather *gasp* unload the trail rig in the parking lot and drive the tow rig around to park it than put up with MT roar the other 364 days of the year.. But I did ~25,000 miles last year, and I'm a wuss.

Try towing your trailer, loaded, across trail 1 and down to the river, in the rain. Given, it wasn't the smartest thing I've ever done, but the m/ts definately helped me across. And the parking at Windrock has gotten alot better as of lately.

These m/ts sure do look better on a lifted truck. IMO.

sqrl$$ said:
Hey TW, how is the noise level of the Pro-comps? My M/T's weren't much louder than my previous A/t's until now that they have gotten nearly wore out.

The procomps are getting louder as they wear, but new, they were quieter than the terra grapplers I had on before these. Still not too bad though, if the radio is off I can hear them, but it isn't obnoxious.

what kind of vehicle are you running them on? Is it a diesel? Any pics? thanks for the input.

sqrl$$ said:
what kind of vehicle are you running them on? Is it a diesel? Any pics? thanks for the input.

'02 PSD

Attachments

• DSC00552.JPG
    DSC00552.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 303
tw89yj said:
Try towing your trailer, loaded, across trail 1 and down to the river, in the rain. Given, it wasn't the smartest thing I've ever done, but the m/ts definately helped me across. And the parking at Windrock has gotten alot better as of lately.

These m/ts sure do look better on a lifted truck. IMO.
I've done both with BFG ATs. Dragged the trailer to the base of Upper 2 and hauled out more weight than most folks can handle. :D

If you really want M/T's on your tow rig, the pro comps are going to be your best bet. They're a bit more street oriented. I agree with the others though on not using A/T's. Have you seen the mickey thompson baja mtx's? Or ATZ's?

I dont have a diesel, but I have heard that the Pro-Comp MT's do not last near as long as BFG. I have BFG MT's on my 89 landcruiser (wagon) its rather heavy. Have wore semi well. (They were mostly worn when I got the truck.) I will tell you I wanted the GY MTR's when I replaced tires, but found such a great deal on a set of 33 BFG MT's I had to go with them. But would still love the MTR's I havent heard anything real bad about them, they take forever to wear out (40K + if you rotate) and they just look cool and mean! :) Good luck in your decision.

already had a set of G/Y MTR's. They pulled great, but they were alot louder than the BFG M/T's. I have a buddy running the Mickey ATZ. He said they tend to wander alittle, especially in wet weather. They are on 9.75" wide wheels though. Any one else running these tires on stock rims?

I am running BFG M/t's on my tow rig. All I can say is never again. I will be lucky to get 25,000 mi out of them. Great offroad but not on a D/D .Going to Procomp A/T's. I have 35's on the wifes Excursion and they are wearing great and not that loud.
My 2 cents

Steve

Back