Towrig...@#$% Finally!

Caver Dave

Just holdin' it down here in BFV
It's been 10 LONG years since I traded my old '86 Nissan 4x4 for a Honda...was doing TOO many miles & the traffic jams were killing me! The "1/4 million miler" Accord served me well until I sold it about 4 years ago....

Being a "pickup truck" kinda guy, I started then looking for a replacement... a truck for general hauling duty (actually used the Honda to haul the Moss's tranny, TC, rollbar, and numerous other items to the ToadWorx in Knoxville!), a semi-DD, and mainly to tow the Jeep (seen too much carnage & too many folks trying to get their rigs home in time for work on Monday!).

I'd been looking since before Christmas and several weeks ago, got the funding inline. After several disappointing deals (seller backed out, sold out from under me, etc.) I resolved this week to be the "early bird"... Hit the regular coffee stop this AM for the new Truck Trader rag... wasn't in yet! :mad: So about lunch time, my wife grabbed a copy and dropped it by the office. After a quick glance, one stood out... well within the budget (plenty left for repairs/upgrades) described as "very mechanically sound, but not a looker" (sounds like the Jeep :D ). Called the seller and told him I'd get violent if he thought about selling it before I had a chance... he promised he would not since he was out on the road and would arrive home slightly before I did.

Once there, I spent about 30 minutes checking the mechanicals & underside out... beat the rain by 5 mins.... maybe! The body, while scratched & dinged is relatively good shape, but "2 toned"... cab is red/burgandy and the bed is metallic blue... doesn't matter one bit in the grand scheme of things. Took it out for about 20 minutes thru the local twisty turns & a breif romp down a 5 miles straight... ran excellent & steering/braking was crisper than the current DD Camry. Spent another 45 minutes checking out the little crap and thunked down a deposit. While it may sound a bit "ragtag" for some, it perfectly fits the bill for what I need it to do... haul yard waste/various 4x4 parts that present themselves, occassional DD, & towrig (guesstimating about 1500-2000 miles per year).

Specs:
1992 F250 4x4
Regular Cab LB
7.3L IDI (normally aspirated @ 176K pulled killer compared to identical '92 I drove Sat.)
5speed ZF tranny (all syncros smooth and clutch engages 1" from floor)... TC shifted as expected...not too easy/not too hard)
"Custom" (work truck) interior with vinyl everything (super easy to wash out) is in great shape and has a Sony CD-R/RW player (180W) that rocks!... AC frosted the windows in 10 minutes (was pretty cool outside too!) Tenkosha brake box under dash needs wired up (pigtail wiring seemed to be dangling under the bed?)
Only 2 badly rusted places (still can't figure out how/why those happened)... @ 2o'clock in the drivers front fender (2" overall... might replace the fender?) and directly forward on the bottom of the front bumper (the rest looks brand new????) The rest of the body is very good (I fully expected to find major rust thru to match the fender/bumper, but nothing... :confused: ) Bed has replaced with a bit later year (same model)... seller figures the OEM was either trashed or it once carried a service body. Might need tires before long, but have decent tread to last several months (will probably swap them away).
Front looks to be the crapola TTB44 (but looks to have the HD 60 outers) and a 10.25 FF out back... not sure what gears yet, but will guess 3.73ish. Gooseneck hitch (ball pulls out and spins 180*), but no receiver hitch for the trailer.... YET

For the puny sum of $3200, I think it's a great deal... "throw away $$" says my Dad. Will post some pics tomorrow evening when I pick it up. Should be an interesting journey!

Woot gratz :beer:

Glad you finally found one, I figured you would be much better off going private than through the auction.
Sorry I couldn't have been more help.

:driver: :driver: :driver: :driver: :driver:

Cool, so you will be too busy working on the tow rig to get the Mossy done, and you can drag mine to the Jam... :flipoff2:

Congrats!

Tow Rig - $3000
trailer - $1500
diesel fuel to the trail- $45
Not having the "how am i gonna get home if I tear my crap up on this trail" nagging in the back of your mind - priceless :p

Rich said:
Congrats!

Tow Rig - $3000
trailer - $1500
diesel fuel to the trail- $45
Not having the "how am i gonna get home if I tear my crap up on this trail" nagging in the back of your mind - priceless :p

Nah...Dave will take another 3 years looking for that PERFECT $300 trailer! :flipoff2:

Sam

Nah, I think he'll just use a borrowed one! I think he said it was his brothers he was using at the Dixie Run. had like 5 ft side rails on it, may have been a dump trailer, easy unloading anyway! LOL

upnover said:
Nah, I think he'll just use a borrowed one! I think he said it was his brothers he was using at the Dixie Run. had like 5 ft side rails on it, may have been a dump trailer, easy unloading anyway! LOL
The one he had a DR is a manure spreader...

And for those of you that are so sure that Caver is gonna buy a Cheapie trailer...remember, less sometimes is more... :D I've seen his new trailer...you will be supprised.

Yeah I saw it too....Caver let the cat outta the bag to me, heh! Here I was expecting him to buy a cheap mobile home, cut the roof off in the living room and park Mossy in there...hey why not, you got a kitchen, bathroom, bedroom...axles, ready to tow... :flipoff2:

Sam...not THAT redneck...Hinton

Here ya go my biotches!

Attachments

• uglytruck.jpg
    uglytruck.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 382
  • uglytruck2.jpg
    uglytruck2.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 362
Errr.....couldn't see your tow vehicle, that ugly monster was in the way.

What is it, a Camry? :rolleyes:

Now, if you could only decide on a color. :smokin:

Back