Towing MPG

pheery said:
^^^^lucky bastard^^^

you would think with free fuel, you would get a bigger trailer and pull multiple rigs to wheeling spots, i would throw you some cash....
Willing to split the next tranny rebuild too? I just had a "performance E40D" thrown in there, but I'm no fool it's still a Ford pile o' garbage..aka a polished turd. :rolleyes:

performance E40D, that is an oxymoron :flipoff2:

don't want to split the rebuild, but i am jealous of your set-up.

re: thecarman

That would be the first 6.2 I've ever seen maintain 70-75 with a load. Usually they won't get out of their own way.

Best I've got w/ my 7.3 powerstroke was 15.5 loaded down coming home from Tellico. I was happy as hell cause we don't slow down. If one of us in the group drops below 70, they are getting pushed or passed. By the way, Black Mtn. is kind of scary loaded at 85. I don't recommend it, pyro was ok at 1275, but those curves aren't fun that fast. Just wanted to see if I could do it, but never again.

Free Fuel

I would like to know more about burning the deep fry oil from restaraunts.

bigassedredjeep said:
DAMN, took the words right out of my mouth. :lol: mine is the same scenario other than i get the ride quality of a 3500 :rolleyes: if i'm heading downhill with a tail wind the whole trip i might can swing an extra 1 mpg, but doubtful.
biggie you gotta take your foot outa it to get fuel ECONOMY. we did make good time tho

MR. GADGET said:
Yep 25mpg in the 12v.
It had 3.54 gears. Did not pull the hills that good but it did ok on the fuel.
The 03 is hard to get the higher MPG I think a lot has to do with the weather and road your on. Coming down out of the Rockies gets real good mileage. Get the weather and air pressure the turbo likes and that gets you the higher mileage. Some days I can get 25 psi boost and others can get 22-23 tops no mater what you do. Cant do it all the time but its nice when you can.
Jon

Thats the same range as mine. If I put my foot in it and get boost numbers in the low 30's and egts around 1200 I'll drop like a stine into the low teens. I went up the Saluda grade last year loaded, almost 43 psi, 1400 egt around 85 mph. I swear I used 1/4 tank in 2 miles. :lol: It was funny passing everything pulling a 6 horse slant loaded up that run tho'. I think I gave one old fart a coronary.

BIGWOODY said:
I'd like to pass it on but it's frowned upon on here.

then post it on muddevils and give us a link to learn more :)

tw89yj said:
That would be the first 6.2 I've ever seen maintain 70-75 with a load. Usually they won't get out of their own way.

You've got that right! :) Sorry if my post was misleading. I can run 75mph or more unloaded (just Burb, no trailer), especially since I've got 3.42 gears and overdrive. With my trailer empty (2600 pounds), I can maintain 65mph on uphills, and then run 75 or more on flats and downhills. When I towed the TJ (13,500 GCVW) I could maintain 65 in most places, but dropped to 55 and even 45 (downshifted into 2nd gear) on some hills.

Last night I towed a Chevy Celebrity and a Camaro front subframe from Greensboro to Mebane. I kept my speed down to around 60 because I had too much tongue weight and I wasn't in a hurry, and I had no prob maintaining that on hills. The cool thing about the low speed is that the fuel gauge barely moved the whole trip. :)

Swapping on the non-EGR intake manifold, Banks exhaust (my stock is rusted out anyway) and cold-air intake, and getting better gearing when I swap in my 1-ton axles should help some. I've got all the parts, just need to put them on. But I'm not kidding myself into thinking this is will ever be a powerful motor. If I can get it feel about like a 350 Chevy with better fuel mileage, that's fine with me. A bunch of folks swap on the Banks Turbo kit and say that makes it equal to an older stock 7.3 Powerstroke, but they also can blow oil seals and head gaskets due to the turbo. I'm not going to spend much money on this, because if when comes time to replace it, I'll swap in a 12V Cummins. :)

thecarman said:
You've got that right! :) Sorry if my post was misleading. I can run 75mph or more unloaded (just Burb, no trailer), especially since I've got 3.42 gears and overdrive. With my trailer empty (2600 pounds), I can maintain 65mph on uphills, and then run 75 or more on flats and downhills. When I towed the TJ (13,500 GCVW) I could maintain 65 in most places, but dropped to 55 and even 45 (downshifted into 2nd gear) on some hills.

Last night I towed a Chevy Celebrity and a Camaro front subframe from Greensboro to Mebane. I kept my speed down to around 60 because I had too much tongue weight and I wasn't in a hurry, and I had no prob maintaining that on hills. The cool thing about the low speed is that the fuel gauge barely moved the whole trip. :)

Swapping on the non-EGR intake manifold, Banks exhaust (my stock is rusted out anyway) and cold-air intake, and getting better gearing when I swap in my 1-ton axles should help some. I've got all the parts, just need to put them on. But I'm not kidding myself into thinking this is will ever be a powerful motor. If I can get it feel about like a 350 Chevy with better fuel mileage, that's fine with me. A bunch of folks swap on the Banks Turbo kit and say that makes it equal to an older stock 7.3 Powerstroke, but they also can blow oil seals and head gaskets due to the turbo. I'm not going to spend much money on this, because if when comes time to replace it, I'll swap in a 12V Cummins. :)

Now you're talkin. The Cummins swap would kick ass. I'm just waiting for my powerstroke to window the block due to my dreaded PMRs, then my 02 will be the proud new home to a twined CTD.

We made a trip to Windrock awhile back with a guy towing w/ a K5 6.2 w/ Banks Sidewinder turbo kit. It ran pretty well but ran out of steam on Black Mtn.

Travis

This past weekend I made a run to Ohio loaded with the truck camper, a 1700 lbs 16' flatbed with my 3k lbs. Zuk on board. Going uphill there I got 13.2 mpg. Coming back I logged 14.1 mpg downhill. I have not weighed my rig yet but I should be near 15k using RK's trailer. I have been keeping the tach under 2 grand as much as possible and tried to run 65 mph in the interstate. :driver:

Back