Tow "tag" in NC tech?

the regular tags can be weighted up to maybe 8K pounds, maybe 9000. Anything above that and you have to get a "weighted" tag. I just got my weight upped to 16K pounds. I think the total on that is around $265 or so.

The renewal for my 15k tag came in today, $207.

Duane

However, I did have title transfer fee in there, so my cost could have been a little more than an actual 16K pound renewal

Ok, I've got a question. I got my 06 2500 CTD in July and registered, and she told me I needed the weighted tags. (i'm in asheville by the way) So I was like ok, figured it out the jeep and trailer roughly and was quite shocked when she told me the figure. So I went with 9k, or 8k, I can't remembed. They told me the truck was 6300. I figured I "might" tow once a month and have only had the jeep on once since then so its no big deal IMHO. Anyways, I also wanted a customized tag. (diving one) and I left with a weighted tag and they sent me my new on in the mail. Well the new one has no weighted description anywhere. Just figured it was linked electronically through the "system" But I thought it would also throw the HP off the scent since it didn't say weighted they would think to suspect it was over weight.

Also I've seen some F250s around w/o weighted tags ( I thought it was a 3/4 ton and up requirement) and some 1/2 tons w/ weighted tags and got really confused. I think there is a guy here I work with that has a 3/4 w/ regular tag. I suppose that would lend its self to the DMV not informing people maybe?

You'd think with these ridiculous weight fees they could atleast fix the roads with it. I26 SUUUUUUCKs around here. I drove the jeep on it once when I got here and thought it was going to fall apart (long story on jeep condition, but its road worthy) also road works around here in general seem to be pretty sketchy.

I guess if I get the jeep finished up I'll add some more weight. In the mean time I think i'll be ok. "knock on wood"

I just don't understand what is the real law. If I tow with a 08' ctd 3500 with 12' inclosed box towing a 32' trailer and everything weights 30000lbs and i am tagged for 26500.. I just want to know what the real law is on weight. Not that I care just want to know how much I am going to have pay

the regular tags can be weighted up to maybe 8K pounds, maybe 9000. Anything above that and you have to get a "weighted" tag. I just got my weight upped to 16K pounds. I think the total on that is around $265 or so.

So I can "buy" an 8k pound extension to my plate that's on my truck now but anything above 8k is going to require me getting a new plate?

what about towing a nonworking jeep from PA to Charlotte one time?
Do I need to get weighted tags for that?

or am I better off renting a truck and trailer from penske or uhaul?

So I can "buy" an 8k pound extension to my plate that's on my truck now but anything above 8k is going to require me getting a new plate?
what about towing a nonworking jeep from PA to Charlotte one time?
Do I need to get weighted tags for that?
or am I better off renting a truck and trailer from penske or uhaul?

Does your plate say "weighted" on it now?

The 13k weighted tag is the sweet spot for most people. It's not quite enough to cover a built rig on a trailer loaded for the weekend, but it's close for most stuff. Figure a 7k tow rig plus a 2k trailer, you get 5k pounds (including the 1k "fudge" you need to surpass before you get a ticket) for cargo.

The thing about the 13k tag is that it's only $130. It's $1 per 100#. When you step up to the 14k tag, the rate changes to like $1.25/100#, so that tag costs like $80 more. I think the other step is after 17k.

If that's not enough, you can always change it at the DMV. Just pay the difference and they print a new registration.

Either way, it's cheaper than u-haul and cheaper than the fine.

Hope that helps.

I just don't understand what is the real law. If I tow with a 08' ctd 3500 with 12' inclosed box towing a 32' trailer and everything weights 30000lbs and i am tagged for 26500.. I just want to know what the real law is on weight. Not that I care just want to know how much I am going to have pay

This post is kinda old, so probably not much help now. But anyway... I thought the weighted tags were only good to 26k combined. Anything over that had to be a commercial tag... with all the BS that goes along with it.

From reading this thread, it looks like I don;t need a weighted tag for my Tahoe if I pull my jeep. I also read that the state was trying to close that loop hole, so does anyone know if it has been closed yet (i.e. do SUVs now need weighted tags)?

From reading this thread, it looks like I don;t need a weighted tag for my Tahoe if I pull my jeep. I also read that the state was trying to close that loop hole, so does anyone know if it has been closed yet (i.e. do SUVs now need weighted tags)?

You're correct, you do not need one for your Tahoe.

ive read this entire thread, but im still confused about a few things.

i have a 2006 f150 fx4 4dr w/ the 5.4, the weight that ive found for it is 6800lbs. i need to pick up a corn cleaner in monroe the first week of april that weighs in at 2500lbs, id be using my uncles tandem axle tag along that weighs ~2000lbs, so im figuring 5k total for the trailer and cleaner. what do i need to do about tags? i have personalized tags on my truck right now and id prefer not to have to buy new tags for this one trip, or have to borrow someone elses vehicle to make the trip.

what do i need to do? im not worried about being able to tow the weight, i just dont want to get an over weight ticket.

ive read this entire thread, but im still confused about a few things.

i have a 2006 f150 fx4 4dr w/ the 5.4, the weight that ive found for it is 6800lbs. i need to pick up a corn cleaner in monroe the first week of april that weighs in at 2500lbs, id be using my uncles tandem axle tag along that weighs ~2000lbs, so im figuring 5k total for the trailer and cleaner. what do i need to do about tags? i have personalized tags on my truck right now and id prefer not to have to buy new tags for this one trip, or have to borrow someone elses vehicle to make the trip.

what do i need to do? im not worried about being able to tow the weight, i just dont want to get an over weight ticket.
Your not towing it commercially, so you shouldnt wind up with an over weight ticket, You dont need to go through weight stations unless your using your truck to pull things commercially, and unless one of the guys that are on DOT patrol that day are being absolute pricks you shouldnt have a problem. As long as your gross vehicle weight does not exceed 26,000 pounds combined weight and all which is listed on your license it shouldnt be an issue, and if your tag is already listed as a weighted tag as many newer and some older pickups are, it will be covered then as well.

Your not towing it commercially, so you shouldnt wind up with an over weight ticket, You dont need to go through weight stations unless your using your truck to pull things commercially, and unless one of the guys that are on DOT patrol that day are being absolute pricks you shouldnt have a problem. As long as your gross vehicle weight does not exceed 26,000 pounds combined weight and all which is listed on your license it shouldnt be an issue, and if your tag is already listed as a weighted tag as many newer and some older pickups are, it will be covered then as well.

so...... umm.... what if, it might be commercial? the cleaner is for my families business. :lol:

so...... umm.... what if, it might be commercial? the cleaner is for my families business. :lol:

When I say commercially I mean you usethe truck on a regular basis to pull things as a way to bring in income as a soul means of support. That means since your basically using the truck to pull what amounts to farm equipment it should be fine. The only thing would be sure you have the standard weighted tag for pickups beyond that it should be fine.

You can still get an overweight ticket on weighted tags.

its a non issue now. we're going to use my uncles flatbed dually instead.

Ok. My turn for a question.

My 2005 diesel F250 is registered in Tennessee without any special tags or weight registration. Its a company car and they are based out of TN.!
I want to buy a trailer to tow my jeep wrangler to URE and around the state.

I am thinking about a standard all metal deck car carrying trailer ball hitch (already installed on the truck) or a gooseneck.
only hauling one jeep so the goosneck may be too long / overkill.
Would want a low deck height and not a deck over axle (I think).

JEEP isn't anything heavy - stock axles on 35's with lift and rollcage.

What trailer should I go with and how should I change my truck's registration?
What about trailer registration?

Ok. My turn for a question.

My 2005 diesel F250 is registered in Tennessee without any special tags or weight registration. Its a company car and they are based out of TN.!
I want to buy a trailer to tow my jeep wrangler to URE and around the state.

I am thinking about a standard all metal deck car carrying trailer ball hitch (already installed on the truck) or a gooseneck.
only hauling one jeep so the goosneck may be too long / overkill.
Would want a low deck height and not a deck over axle (I think).

JEEP isn't anything heavy - stock axles on 35's with lift and rollcage.

What trailer should I go with and how should I change my truck's registration?
What about trailer registration?

as long as the tag on the truck with TN plates covers the weight of the truck, then NC should not bother you .

IE: if your truck weights 7000lbs and your plate is rated at 4000lb then they can get you.

in the state of n.c. it has more to do with the kind of trailer you are towing than the truck.[p-u pulling pulling a 32 camper can legally do it with a unweighted tag.put a 2 horse trl behind a mini van and it has to have a weighted tag.]the state looks at it as if you CAN make money with the trailer like haul a buddys car for gas money .then its commercial.

in the state of n.c. it has more to do with the kind of trailer you are towing than the truck.[p-u pulling pulling a 32 camper can legally do it with a unweighted tag.put a 2 horse trl behind a mini van and it has to have a weighted tag.]the state looks at it as if you CAN make money with the trailer like haul a buddys car for gas money .then its commercial.
no, that's not really correct at all. i think you may be confused on the difference between commercial tags and weighted tags.

a truck pulling a 32ft. camper is 100% illegal with a standard tag. a weighted tag is definitely required, the only question is how much. a standard tag barely covers the weight of most trucks themselves, and in the case of 3/4-1 ton trucks it doesn't even do that.

a minivan on the other hand, or any other non truck vehicle, can pull whatever it pleases on a standard tag and is 100% legal (as far as tags go, anyway).

even assuming you meant to say commercial tags instead of weighted, there are several criteria in addition to and independent of weighted tags that have to be met before commercial tags are required. simply pulling a certain type of trailer (i.e. two horse) is not a sole deciding factor. weighted tags were created to bridge the gap between private and commercial. a way for the state to tax higher than "normal" use of the infrastructure while still maintaining a somewhat clear line between private and commercial.

The 13k weighted tag is the sweet spot for most people. It's not quite enough to cover a built rig on a trailer loaded for the weekend, but it's close for most stuff. Figure a 7k tow rig plus a 2k trailer, you get 5k pounds (including the 1k "fudge" you need to surpass before you get a ticket) for cargo.

The thing about the 13k tag is that it's only $130. It's $1 per 100#. When you step up to the 14k tag, the rate changes to like $1.25/100#, so that tag costs like $80 more. I think the other step is after 17k.

If that's not enough, you can always change it at the DMV. Just pay the difference and they print a new registration.

:Rockon: Yet another reason why I love this forum

Simply speaking, regardless of what you towing, tag your truck for enough weight to cover it. It dosent matter if you have a load of chrome plated stripper poles or a trailer full of nuns. Bev Perdue is gonna' get her slice. If it is a "Truck" you must have a weighted tag to cover the loaded combined weight.

Back