Tow "tag" in NC tech?

time to beat the dead horse!

i was talking with another employee today and he stated that he didn't have a weighted tag. Reason being is because 1) yes, he has a property hauling vehicle 2) he claims that he doesn't exceed the weight limit of the tag "in the truck".

I think he sees it as not needing a weighted tag unless you plan to exceed your regualr tag limit inside the bed of the truck. if you're weighted at 7,000 lbs and your truck is 6500 lbs and you load a 4-wheeler in the back then you're in violation. what's the point of the trailer tag if you have a tag that's weighted to haul it and whatever sits on it? he said he spoke with someone from the tag office and weighted tags are for people with commercial needs like flatbeds, work beds and other supplies that will exceed a normal tag's weight capacity.

i see his point and understand what he heard from the tag office but do you really need the weighted tag then if that holds true? i hate to cheap out but comingfrom TN where the tags were $76 (weighted for 16,000#) and having only one income I'd like to try and save a few bucks. Just another rambling thought... how much are tickets?

I see your point, and certainly, don't tag your truck for 20,000lbs if you'll never gross over 13k..

I would NOT run a regular tag by any means, that's just advertising that you're over. Buuut, if you tag it for say, 9000#, you'll have the weighted tag. At that point, you're rolling the dice, but at least you're not advertising the fact that you're not tagged for enough.

The trailer tag is just that, a registration on the trailer. There's a reason why they're so cheap.

NC has expensive vehicle fees... it's just a fact of life. You can get around it by driving an excursion though.. :rolleyes:

Since this is brought back up.... We have towed with our Suburban for years and never had any issues with not having a weighted tag, and now i know why... My question is that since pickups are the only considered "property hauling vehicles" does that mean that you dont have to have a weighted tag on a bus or RV/Toterhome?

yes, he has a property hauling vehicle 2) he claims that he doesn't exceed the weight limit of the tag "in the truck".
I think he sees it as not needing a weighted tag unless you plan to exceed your regualr tag limit inside the bed of the truck. if you're weighted at 7,000 lbs and your truck is 6500 lbs and you load a 4-wheeler in the back then you're in violation.

Umm, he might wanna look at his registration, make sure of the registered weight.

My neighbors '97 ex-cab short bed 2x4 GMC is weighted at 4500lbs, it probably weighs in the 5200lb range, and then he puts 2 med size job boxes (full) in the bed and hauls them around to jobs sites.

He swears he doesn't need weighted tags.

THis came up when he asked about the weighted tags I have on my '73 GMC K25 (registered for 10k). he thinks I'm nuts.

Time will tell.

Since this is brought back up.... We have towed with our Suburban for years and never had any issues with not having a weighted tag, and now i know why... My question is that since pickups are the only considered "property hauling vehicles" does that mean that you dont have to have a weighted tag on a bus or RV/Toterhome?
No, suburbans, Expeditions, motorhomes are not property hauling vehicles, you don't need weighted tags. Trucks do need them if they are going to haul or tow. Per our local lawyer.

No, suburbans, Expeditions, motorhomes are not property hauling vehicles, you don't need weighted tags. Trucks do need them if they are going to haul or tow. Per our local lawyer.

Thats what I assumed from the earlier posts, but wanted to make sure.... Thanks

Definition explained to me by DMV

Everybody is hung up on the property hauling vehicle definition. The way the DMV has told dealers to handle tag's is as follows.
1. Does the title have the TK classification?
Answer.... If yes then it needs a weighted tag, no questions.
Some SUV appearance vehicles have TK on the title, It needs a weighted tag.

2. Get the GVW of the vehicle and round up to the nearest thousand pounds. That will cover the vehicle.

3. figure weight of anything you will pull add to #2 round up to the nearest thousand.

4. pay stupid amount of money.......

I have been told that the DMV is trying to change the law to require that suv's to start running weighted tags. Apparently enough people are switching to large suv's and pulling heavy loads, that the DMV plans on pluging the loophole.

PLUS, the STATE needs to gouge us for more money....

I just happened to read this even tho' I rarely tow.
I use a Chev. S-10 to pull a utility trailer......and have drug my Samurai twice. ( bad disty left it on the side of the road )

Legal to pull the trailer w/ regular plates?

What about the Sami?

Matt

I have been told that the DMV is trying to change the law to require that suv's to start running weighted tags. Apparently enough people are switching to large suv's and pulling heavy loads, that the DMV plans on pluging the loophole...

BUt that would first have to be passed by the legislature, most of whom drive large SUV's.. ;)

well some of you are going to think I'm a retard but I'm going to see what happens. I went in and said I wanted a tag to cover my truck. I told her the weight and she said you'll need a 9K weighted tag. I told her I don't tow that much and I'm not sure of the different weights of the thigns I tow. She said, "well, do you just want a regular tag then?" I said sure. She looked up the "shipping weight" of my truck which was 5,000 lbs. I now have a regular tag and I towed to Windrock and back this weekend with no issues. I'll take my chances. The state of NC is gouging me to death with taxes and other BS. I figure I'll see how long I can run with what I have.

well some of you are going to think I'm a retard but I'm going to see what happens. I went in and said I wanted a tag to cover my truck. I told her the weight and she said you'll need a 9K weighted tag. I told her I don't tow that much and I'm not sure of the different weights of the thigns I tow. She said, "well, do you just want a regular tag then?" I said sure. She looked up the "shipping weight" of my truck which was 5,000 lbs. I now have a regular tag and I towed to Windrock and back this weekend with no issues. I'll take my chances. The state of NC is gouging me to death with taxes and other BS. I figure I'll see how long I can run with what I have.

This is pretty amusing, you get busted for towing over weight and your fine will be probably triple the cost of a weighted tag, largely dependant on how OVER WEIGHT you are for the tag you currently have.

I have a 10k tag on my GMC, cost me $103 for the year. WOW! that was expensive !!!

Good luck, your next trip may well get quite expensive. DMV isn't really known for being forgiving due to ignorance of the law.

here's an idea. suck my ass. $103 is expensive when you're in a single income family. so don't get all high and mighty about it. I had to pay the HUT and title transfer fees because I moved back to this state which in turn cost me a total of $221. maybe since you're so loaded why not hook me up with a few bucks and that way I can be just as cool as you and that retarded ass avatar from the Disney channel :shaking:

here's an idea. suck my ass. $103 is expensive when you're in a single income family. so don't get all high and mighty about it. I had to pay the HUT and title transfer fees because I moved back to this state which in turn cost me a total of $221. maybe since you're so loaded why not hook me up with a few bucks and that way I can be just as cool as you and that retarded ass avatar from the Disney channel :shaking:

First off, I didn't cuss you, lighten up.

secondly, $103 is expensive ? you don't seem to mind spending the $$$ on your wheeling rig. junk yard parts or not, it cost money for a HOBBY, if you're broke enough to not be able to afford properly licensing your tow rig (which BTW also would not be properly licenced to haul more than trash to the dump with a 5k tag) maybe you should rethink how you spend your hard earned single income. (free financial advise for you)

I'm sure the Hydro steer, and locked CUCV with disc brakes axles really cut into the family budget.
Good chance you paid more for the hydraulic hose and fittings than a fawkin weighted tag would cost, I see the hardship.

GUESS WHAT, WE ALL have to pay HUT, and title tranfer, doesn't matter if we just moved here or buying a Yugo to drive.

You'll have to pay the same moving to any other state as well, it's called life, some times it just sucks.

I don't like the taxes any more than anyone else, but this is what they tell us pays for our infrastructure, and it gets way more expensive not playing by their rules.

and here is another news flash for ya cupcake, my junk sits for the most part, it is licensed to haul what ever it is I need to haul, and insured as well, it cost me for it just to sit, but it's there if I need it. So, about $500 a year in taxes, license, insurance and inspection, for a vehicle whose need far out weighs it monetary return. and the pisser is, I can't even take it wheelin right now. Sad part is, I paid more for the weighted tag than I did for the truck, hows that for irony ?

I'll gladly trade you my financial situation, just say the word

Oh, and leave Tigger outta this, it's all about the kids.

Compare to a lot of states NC has very cheap Vehicle fees, The emissions inspections are easy to pass and cheap.

I have the weighted tags and it does suck to have to pay the $103 that I did for mine and that does not even cover the total Weight that I might occasionally tow. To get tags to cover the max I would ever tow would cost 300+ per year. But it does cover most of what I tow and the fact that I have weighted tags will help keep me from getting pulled just not having them at all.

First off, I didn't cuss you, lighten up.
secondly, $103 is expensive ? you don't seem to mind spending the $$$ on your wheeling rig. junk yard parts or not, it cost money for a HOBBY, if you're broke enough to not be able to afford properly licensing your tow rig (which BTW also would not be properly licenced to haul more than trash to the dump with a 5k tag) maybe you should rethink how you spend your hard earned single income. (free financial advise for you)
I'm sure the Hydro steer, and locked CUCV with disc brakes axles really cut into the family budget.
Good chance you paid more for the hydraulic hose and fittings than a fawkin weighted tag would cost, I see the hardship.
GUESS WHAT, WE ALL have to pay HUT, and title tranfer, doesn't matter if we just moved here or buying a Yugo to drive.
You'll have to pay the same moving to any other state as well, it's called life, some times it just sucks.
I don't like the taxes any more than anyone else, but this is what they tell us pays for our infrastructure, and it gets way more expensive not playing by their rules.
and here is another news flash for ya cupcake, my junk sits for the most part, it is licensed to haul what ever it is I need to haul, and insured as well, it cost me for it just to sit, but it's there if I need it. So, about $500 a year in taxes, license, insurance and inspection, for a vehicle whose need far out weighs it monetary return. and the pisser is, I can't even take it wheelin right now. Sad part is, I paid more for the weighted tag than I did for the truck, hows that for irony ?
I'll gladly trade you my financial situation, just say the word
Oh, and leave Tigger outta this, it's all about the kids.

no your right, i bought all my parts and built my truck in less than a year. my truck sat for over 3 years, at one point, while I tried to save up enough money for those parts. The hydraulics all came from Tractor Supply and every thing else was either used or I got at a hell of a deal. Anyway, I don't have to defend how I manage my money. Back on topic, tag fees are in the present and when your tag is up you can't wait 3+ years to get one.

do me a favor and just stay out of my business. i was just letting people know what I'm doing about it and if I get a ticket you'll be the first to know. I'm just tired of getting stuck by the state.

oh one more thing, if Tigger is all about the kids I'm sure they'd love to see your language in this thread :shaking:

Back on topic, tag fees are in the present and when your tag is up you can't wait 3+ years to get one.
do me a favor and just stay out of my business. i was just letting people know what I'm doing about it and if I get a ticket you'll be the first to know. I'm just tired of getting stuck by the state.

That you claim the extra cost as the excuse to not pony up for the correct tag, thats what I call BS on, I don't care one way or the other. I just found it amusing.

several months from now, we'll hear about some dude who got nailed with car tags while hauling/towing 10k, and all I can think is " Damn, that $1000 fine sure beats the $103 tag, not to mention the time and money wasted to get your stuff off the road when the trooper won't let it move without the right weighted tag on the towing vehicle." Then what will you think about being stuck by the state ? BRILLIANT !!

I see the NCSHP pullin over light hauling vehicles all the time, Beware the Tahoes, many of them are carrying scales!

You're right, it's not my business, at least till you aired it out for the rest of us to form an opinion. take it for what you paid for it, absolutely nothing.

enjoy the rest of your evening !

NC Troopers are enforcing the Trailer tags and trailer saftey inspections as for weighted tags I would not chance it better to pay the price of the tag up front than leaving your jeep on the side of the road or god help a wreck and your insurance company say no go on the claim. also you may want to check with your insurance carrier as for the coverage of your trailer. mine is covered by one of the big three companys and they said the jeep is not covered by my truck insurance even thow it is in tow by that vehical. also my buddy got 4 warning tickets last week for NO trailer inspection, chains not crossed , brakes not hooked up, and one more that was silly window tint. by the way he was only hauling some goats.

my tow rig is 01 F-350 crew cad PSD dually 4x4 15,000lb tag

Quick question on this. I'm putting in for plates for my 01 CTD etended cab short bed today. I'm debating the weighted tag issue on this, because it's the end of the wheeling season and I most likely won't tow anything between now and spring.

Does it make sense to go ahead and get weighted tags for about 14k? I could just transfer the tags from my jeep to it as well.

How much would tags be for 14k?

Went ahead and got the tags.

12k - ~$128
13k - ~$133
14k - ~$197

I got weighted tags for 13k and registered the truck. $337 out the door. Good lord, my butt hurts.

I just picked up an 04 DURAMAX and the chick that does the plates did it for 8k. I'm buying a trailer and a wheelin rig soon. Can i just call the dmv or go in there and up the limit on the tag or do i have to get a whole new tag?

New tag

the regular tags can be weighted up to maybe 8K pounds, maybe 9000. Anything above that and you have to get a "weighted" tag. I just got my weight upped to 16K pounds. I think the total on that is around $265 or so.

Back