Tow Rig Tires

lomodyj

As some of you have already seen, I have a new Tow Rig, the one problem with this rig is tires...They are pretty well shot! What I need now is recomendations on what to get. This rig is going to take the place of the old JeePullr (F250 gasser) and my work van (Chevy Astro LWB cargo), so the tires have to be strong enough to handle the towing load but be compliant enough to be cofortable around town. Want something that is gonna last and not cost a fortune up front. I'm assuming that I should get E rated tires...but from there I'm lost. Do we have any vendors on the board in the Greensboro to Knightdale area that can shoot a fellow wheeler a deal?

Meant to pass this on last night....

When Rich was searching for tires... needed to be cheap as possible, LoadRange E, etc.... we found the BFG Commercial T/A (street pattern) at Sams for approx. $99ea (mounted, balanced, 50K mile treadlife warranty,out the door). Only none of the Sam's in that area would do he's dually, so he came to W-S and got it done at the Sams over by the T4WDA M&G location...

i got the same deal here in Greenville at the Sam's club. 235-85-r16 can't remember what the total was, but that membership paid for itself that day. i priced a set of michelin's when i was shopping around, they were about $300 more for the set. the ride is probably better with them, but i'm fairly satisfied with the BFG's so far.

I really like the Commercial TA's, I'm running the "all-season" version (the cheaper of the 2), 235/85-16, Load range E.

They're wearing GREAT, after ~11,000 miles, I can't see any appreciable difference in any of the tires, even the right rears.. ;) They always look underinflated on the front, so I do keep 75-80 psi in the fronts at all times. Mind you, my front axle weight unloaded is ~4600lbs+. Rears are at 40, and have only a slight bulge. SRW may differ.

They are niiice and quiet, don't wander much, and are real good about hydroplaning resistance ('course, anything would be better than what came off). Straight-line traction could be better, but not worse than the Uniroyal Laredo's I had on before. I also make max torque ~1600rpm, so I'm asking alot of 2 lightly-loaded tires anyway.

Other than looking plain-jane (does it matter?), I wouldn't get any other tire unless I had money to burn, in which case, I'd get the good Michelin's.

Sam's club

What you do at Sam's club is you order your tires over the web and specify a store. My understanding is that if the tire specs out for your truck they have to mount and balance them for you.

Here are some examples of Sam's prices off the web. Samsclub.com

LT235/85R16 E Dunlop Rover AT
All-weather light truck performance radial.
Item: 674625
Price: $97.62

Price may vary by Club.

Home Delivery
Not Available For Home Delivery

In-Club Pick Up
Club #4831, DURHAM, NC

This is a SPECIAL ORDER item and will be shipped to the Club.

Click 'n' Pull ® > Tires > Dunlop

GOODYEAR
LT235/85R16 E ATD2 N/A
Item: 685875
Price: $121.06

Price may vary by Club.

Home Delivery

In-Club Pick Up
Club #4831, DURHAM, NC

Click 'n' Pull ® > Tires > Goodyear

LT235/85R16E BSL Goodyear Wrangler AT/D2
The all-terrain tire with a smooth highway ride.
Item: 685882
Price: $121.06

Price may vary by Club.

Home Delivery

In-Club Pick Up
Club #4831, DURHAM, NC

This is a SPECIAL ORDER item and will be shipped to the Club.

Click 'n' Pull ® > Tires > Goodyear

Fuck the web site.. They ALL show as special order, they're usually in stock.

As for the stores "Having to mount them", they all said "we don't do duallies", and gave every lame ass excuse in the entire world. So, after getting the tires done in W-S, I called the regional manager for automotive, and explained what happened, and which stores I called...

He assured me this would never happen again. I'm 1/2 tempted to call the Durham store again and see if they have changed their tune...

Excuses I remember:

"Our doors aren't wide enough"
"Our jacks aren't big enough"
"We're not setup to balance those wheels"
"Company policy says no dually trucks"
"My manager says no duallies"

I called them out on every single one, but fact is, they're just lazy.

The regional guy stressed to me that "We're in business FOR small business, and a truck like yours is quite common in small business. Those reasons are totally incorrect".

I went by the Sams in South Durham yesterday. Had a nice chat with several of the tire guys. For the 215/85's the only have 2 tires available, they are both special order, 7-10 business days. They all assured me that duallys are not a problem, they said they have always done them at that location, but had heard of others (Cary, S. Raleigh) that wouldn't...But that there was several company memos out not long ago saying that every store MUST do dually's. My local guy is gonna be putting on some Dunlop Radial Rover HDE's on Monday, better price, better availability than Sams and according to some sites I've been viewing, better tires than the 2 available at Sams (10 Ply, 60K mile war.).

Go with the 235's... ;)

I agree. I had 235/85/16 on the rear of my rollback - the widest tires that will fit on the rim without rubbing together. I got 245/something/16 in the front (was supposed to get 255, but they screwed up the order) to try to keep the front end from sinking in anything softer than gravel like the 215s did that were on the truck before. It definitely made a difference, did not get stuck at my house anymore. :)

My truck is 2WD like yours, Galen, and I know your Cummins gives you a heavier nose than my 454...

My tire guy had to order them up today for a Monday install, so I pulled the trigger and went with the 235's, his only concern was if I let them get low on air or put a major load on the bed I'd get the rears rubbing...causing all kinds of issues...

Rich, do you know if the speedo can be calibrated? is it electronic or is it a gear like on the Jeeps?

Don't worry about the rear tires touching. Mine look really close, but I have never had a problem with them. And I have loaded the crap out of this truck, and put a lot of miles on it. I think your Dodge's rims are spread a little farther apart (more offset) than my old GM ones, so that's even better.

Tires

Got a Chhevvy 1 Ton Crew Cab Flatbed Dually 4wd w/ the 6.2 diesler and it's got the LT235/85r16's all the way 'round....just got 2 new front's after having a blow out.

Should've got some new tires as soon as I got the truck, but they was Dunlop Radial Rovers and had decent tread...so I thought...peeled a big 'ol alligator and beat the runnin' board to death....at least not the fender

So i got some new one's from a friend that had a couple at his shop.

I did look at the BFG Commercial T/A's at Sam's and Costco and had planned to go that route before these other's came up...1 Michelin and 1 General...
at least they're new and same size...

I read they're about 32 inches tall and Load Range "E", so they'll haul a ton...wait that's a pun...they spozzed to haul a ton on a ton trukk

Later :driver:

lomodyj said:
My tire guy had to order them up today for a Monday install, so I pulled the trigger and went with the 235's, his only concern was if I let them get low on air or put a major load on the bed I'd get the rears rubbing...causing all kinds of issues...

Rich, do you know if the speedo can be calibrated? is it electronic or is it a gear like on the Jeeps?

I tow all the time with the 40-50psi in the rears, they don't touch. 235's are fine, don't even give them a second thought.

Your year has a mechanical speedo IIRC... I just don't care, it's not a big enough error to bother me.

Back