To build or replace?

C.Berry

Bad News
I have linked my vibration to the rear 14sf in the 99 burb, seems the Pinion with tires on the ground has 1/8" bit of play in it. It was a county vehicle for 100k of its life 50k it pulled a 5k landscape trailer so I'm sure it's beat up!! I'm curious if the semi float is worth rebuilding or just find a ff and move on... I do "trail ride":lol: the burb a little with my lady usually just during the fall and when it snows up on mtn lake but this trucks never gonna see bigger than 35-37" tire, surely a 14sf can hold up to that?? Enlighten me further all you smart ones! I know a lil bit more about the 14ff that's why I wanna swap for the comfort of knowing I can tear it apart in 30mins 45 if beers involved. But also don't wanna pay $500 for a 97-98 ff and have to rebuild the damn thing... lol thanks merry Christmas and happy new year!!!

I had a similar vibration and it was a bad ujoint. New ujoints and it still had a vibration. Another brand ujoint fixed the problem. I had to take the drive shaft off another suburban to trouble shoot. Anyhow I think your stock rear is heavy enough for the 5.7 and average towing maybe 5k.

Hmmm could it be the g80 bomb causing it? I just replaced all 4 driveshaft u joints on the truck last month also... felt it before then but seems worse now especially pulling hills if I hit 3200rpm I start getting it

And from dead stop a slow vibration that goes away under under heavy load or high Rpms

I had a similar vibration and it was a bad ujoint. New ujoints and it still had a vibration. Another brand ujoint fixed the problem. I had to take the drive shaft off another suburban to trouble shoot. Anyhow I think your stock rear is heavy enough for the 5.7 and average towing maybe 5k.
I've pulled about 9k with it up to 55mph and that lil 350 didn't like it one bit hahaha
IMG_0869.JPG

Hmmm could it be the g80 bomb causing it? I just replaced all 4 driveshaft u joints on the truck last month also... felt it before then but seems worse now especially pulling hills if I hit 3200rpm I start getting it

You say all 4 u joints, does it have a center support bearing for the driveshaft?

Probably not, but it's got a front driveshaft with two u joints in it :D

He didn't say all 4 joints in the driveshaft, just all four driveshaft u joints.

@maulcruiser A Center support bearing as in a carrier bearing for two piece driveshaft? Not on this beaut!

I had part in making a carrier bearing for a yota buggy when I first got into this stuff I screwed up somehow with geometry it would only last two trips to mtn city before bearing wire out

Back