TJ Woes.....HELP!

59Willys

Has anyone else ever had all the gauges (99 TJ) quit working and a message that says "no bus" comes on the odometer?? I have no frickin idea what "no bus" means....

Also, today the amp gauge was pegged and it started running rough (basically wouldnt run). Didnt get the "no bus" at this time. Cut it off and cut it back on and now its seems to be fine, but that weird "no bus" thing comes and goes at no specific intervals. Seems to usually be first thing in the morning, but the amp deal had never happened before.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Yeppers

Yea, it's a lose connection behind your dash.
:)
Helpful aren't I?

Did you recently or is there an aftermarket radio in there?
Lots of times jiggling things to fit for that causes the wires back there to get lose. There was a known problem with older TJ's and the dealer actually fixed mine twice while it was the wife's jeep.
The "redneck" fix is to hit things :D
The proper way is to find the lose harness. If you look on google there are some nice writeups, I'm still at work, (stupid netcache blocks everything) or I would send you some links.

mine does it all the time and i all i do is pop the dash cover and goes back to workin...then months will go by before it will do it like 20 times in a week..the "hit things" approach has worked great for me so far though

Yeah it seems to clear up when I go over railroad tracks, I just havent had time this weekend to look at it in great detail.

The amp gauge/cutting off deal hasnt happened again, wonder if thats related to the dash problem.

Chris,

Its a common problem with the TJs... Like everyone said its a loose connection behind the dash to the gauge cluster... a little hot glue on the connector does wonders...

Hope all is well with you and Meredith...

We're doing fine...give us a ring if you're going to be up this way for the races or to go to UNF....

Its gonna be a while for me before i get up that way i am afraid.. I am hoping for a UNF trip towards the end of summer.. maybe just maybe i can get my new business project settled by then! lol

Back