Tj suspension question

Joey De La Gwyn

I think I know the answer but not 100% sure. I run a 4" lift on stock arms now. Could I run 6" springs on stock arms till I can get longer ones?

Last edited:
If you had adjustable arms, you could. 6" is going to make all the angles of the suspension bad. I would try to keep it as low as possible and do something like high-lining the fenders if you really want bigger tires. But it just so happens I have a set of 5.5" clayton springs I need to sell...

Supposed to be picking up a set of 6" lift springs and shocks this week if all goes well. Like I said it's on 4" now with stock arms. I'm looking for a long arm set up if anyone has anything I have stuff to trade

Prob be better off building long arms rather than finding a used set up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Yeah I'll be wheelin it, thought about building my own from square tubing and johnny joints. Just need to know what lengths to build the arms at etc. and not sure exactly if the springs are 6" lift springs wonder what size they will be not compressed?

You are about to open up a huge can of worms with suspension lift taller than 4 in and long arms. Consider what your budget is also and doing it right one time.

If you are trying to go from 33 to 35 also consider what rear axle you have, is it a Dana 35. If so you need to consider an axle swap before you do go to 35. Just trying to save you a lot of heartache and pain.

More lift height is not the answer to fitting more Tire you need to consider Fender changes.

@Joey De La Gwyn - I've got arms, springs and other components from a Rough Country 6" X series short arm lift that I'd be willing to part with. Keep in mind, the reason I have these is because I did exactly what everyone else is recommending - high line fenders, 3.5" springs, long arms. I was running 35's, 4.88 gears and a 8.8 rear axle with the RC lift on an '01 TJ. I'm much happier now with it lower.

Come to the TrailBlazers fun caravan at URE in October, or the Veterans day ride in November. Ride with one of us. We'll take you to big creek and you can see first hand how much "flex" and articulation you can get while staying "low"

Chris can show you the advantages of staying REAL low while still having decent tire clearance.

The higher up you go, the more apt you are to put it on it's side. We did some stuff at Golden mountain that would have had taller rigs on their lid!

20170922_145535.jpg

I sure do appreciate all the help and answers. I plan on keeping my 4" just build my own long arms comp cut the rear. I've owned 3 jeeps but this is the first one I'm building my self and even though I do a lot of research still learning a lot

Last edited:
You can put a whole lot of tire under a tj with 4" springs, depending on if you got the other hardware to back it up.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Very true, with only ~2" I could fit 37s on mine right now if I trimmed the rear corners some.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Back