TJ Rubi Parking Brake ?'s

Chris_Keziah

Joe Dirt @ Rev Limit Fab
I am trying to source the parking brake lever for a TJ Rubi 44. Mine are frozen solid and can't be freed up and I'm trying to avoid buying an entire backing plate assembly just to replace the parking brake lever. Any clues as to where I can find one? I have attached a pic of the part in question.

upload_2017-10-10_8-2-38.png

upload_2017-10-10_8-3-2.png

I have freed up some VERY stuck levers. You will need to remove the lever assembly and put it in a vice, capturing the end the cable hooks to. You can then use a punch to hit the nub that goes through the hole in the lever to knock the two pieces apart. Clean both pieces well with a wire wheel, and burr bit if needed. Put some anti-seize on the contact surfaces and reassemble your brakes.
I do this pretty often rebuilding 8.8s, so I can get some pics next time if you'd like.

I have freed up some VERY stuck levers. You will need to remove the lever assembly and put it in a vice, capturing the end the cable hooks to. You can then use a punch to hit the nub that goes through the hole in the lever to knock the two pieces apart. Clean both pieces well with a wire wheel, and burr bit if needed. Put some anti-seize on the contact surfaces and reassemble your brakes.
I do this pretty often rebuilding 8.8s, so I can get some pics next time if you'd like.

I'll give that a shot first and see what happens.

I actually ran into this today and took some reference pics!

Knocking pieces apart
IMG_20171016_081156851.jpg

Cleaning up the hole with a burr bit, it just needs a touch to remove the rust buildup.
IMG_20171016_082128727.jpg

Anti-seize in your friend so this doesn't happen again!

IMG_20171016_082242593.jpg

If d44 backing plates are any similar to d35 backing plates, the arms should be easy to refurbish. Mine were frozen when I pulled d35 backing plates from a junked ZJ at the yard. You just have to pull your axle shafts to get to them if I remember correctly :confused:

If d44 backing plates are any similar to d35 backing plates, the arms should be easy to refurbish. Mine were frozen when I pulled d35 backing plates from a junked ZJ at the yard. You just have to pull your axle shafts to get to them if I remember correctly :confused:
Yes, the D44 and 35 backing plates for Jeeps are the same. Also the only real difference between these and an 8.8 plate, is the hole pattern for the housing end.

Back