TJ 4.0 regearing question

Josh C

Torn on a regearing a set of waggy 44's. I first said 4.88. Then I said for the cost I'll up to 5.13. Now I'm thinking 5.38 but I'm torn between the 5.13 5.38s. I know it'll be alot of gear but I want the lowness. I'll be running no more than a 36" tire and the only street driving will be to the beach or work or quick commutes around town ( 15 minutes one way tops). Or when I go to the outer banks it'll be around a 45 minute drive from a friends house to the beach one way. Have any of the TJ guys on here ran those gears or know someone who has. I know one guy on here runs 5.13s. What I'd really like to do is drive a TJ with close to those size tires and gearing to get a feel of it since I'm also trying to account for the weight of tools and parts for the trail plus the addition of extra gear on top of that when at the beach.

I am doing the same thing and I went 4.88s for 36s. I was looking at what everybody else is running and the chart on 4wheelparts.com to make the decision. I agree that the smaller pinion is not good but 36s shouldnt matter unless more motor is introduced. Most of the 5.13s I saw were on trailer queens. Check out the chart. If 4cyl go with the 5.13s though.

Fawk it. I'm going 5.38's. If it's to low or I'm unhappy with it I'll change it again later. Curious to see how it will perform anyway

I have a buddy running 5.13's in his TJ but it is also the 4cyl pushing 35's. He seems pretty pleased with it.

I can't remember anyone I know of wishing they had gone with higher gears. Everyone always wishes they had gone lower. I thought about the 7.17s for D60s a long time before I put them in. Wish there were 8.12s :)

Im running 4.88s and 35s, which is a little low, going to 36s which will probably be perfect. I run 3k rpms at 72mph in 5th

I'm running 4.88's on 33" tires with my 4.0. It is a little deep on the highway, but awesome when moving slow through the trail. I'll buy some 35's to even it out a little better.

Josh C said:
Fawk it. I'm going 5.38's. If it's to low or I'm unhappy with it I'll change it again later. Curious to see how it will perform anyway

Any thing above 4.88 start to get weaker due to the smaller pinion gear. I wil be runn 4.56 gear with a 2002 4.0 39"tires in a full size Cherokee chief my gearing will be in the t-Case

Ridgerunner said:
Any thing above 4.88 start to get weaker due to the smaller pinion gear. I wil be runn 4.56 gear with a 2002 4.0 39"tires in a full size Cherokee chief my gearing will be in the t-Case

When building my front 44 I thought the same thing but after talking to Randy's, DTD and Dynatrac they all agreed the difference in strength is not worth worrying about.

I ran 4.86s (9") and 5.38s under my TJ with 37" MTRs. Definitely go with the lower gearing. The 4.86s were marginal at best on and offroad. Especially for the driving you plan on doing 5.38s should be perfect.

Its always better to go "biggie" so you don't wish you did later. So 4.88s are perfect for 35s or 36s?

I am running 4.88's with with 35" tires and love the set up. Awsome on the trail and still able to drive on the street if need be.
My 2 cents.

Steve

I know another person running 5.38s in a 44 with no problems and has been for awhile. Like I said if I don't like them I'll swap out to something else

Don't forget Toyotas, Jeeps and Samuris can can away with more than the heavier trucks when it comes to drivetrain strength.

Back