Tires for a 14K trailer

upnover

Grumpy, decrepit Old Man
OK, so my trailer either ran over something or just blew out a tire on the way back from Harlan a few months ago. Then once home, another(opposite side) went flat. It took three plugs(different holes) to fix it. Did I mention, plugging a 10 ply tire kinda sucks! (but anther friend brought to my attention that there is an easier way to do it) The tires are 5 or 6 years old, So now, due to failures, and knowing the age, I really don't trust them for another trip. I have never, but I have a few friends who swear by them, thinking about Putting Firestone truck tires on my trailer. Pricey. But thought I'd run it by this crowd to see if there is a better alternative and maybe cheaper. It does have a trip out west in it's near future.

I couldn't get truck tires to hold up in trailer usage. They'd throw the tread eventually. I changed to Sailun G rated trailer tires.

Edit: if you're not bumping up against the 14k rating on the axles, you might be fine with some regular Carlisle or whatever E rated trailer tires. Not sure if they're cheaper, though.

Sailun and TransEagle come to mind. I usually go for the heaviest trailer tire I can get and know I need to replace them every 6 to 7 years, regardless. Eventually, I'll have a place to park my trailers on concrete and out of the sunlight. That'll be as good as a wet dream :D

Carlisle Radial Trail HD. Have the Carlisle G on my stock trailer and they have been great. Have the Carlisle E on my flat trailer. It just went to Louisiana and back and we’re fine. Wasn’t loaded heavy but we were scooting on I20! Checked them at fuel stops with the laser gun and they all stayed nice and cool.

Transeagle ST Radial

Been all over the country and down the worst roads you could imagine one a set.

Transeagle ST Radial

Been all over the country and down the worst roads you could imagine one a set.
Another vote for TRANSEAGLE - When I had 2 blow outs on one trip - my tire guy for many years recommended the TRANSEAGLE ST Radial - G rated - 2 years and have not had any issue.

Rule of thumb is 4 years replace regardless of "visual" condition. Run em at max cold inflation.

Your milage may vary

Edit: if you're not bumping up against the 14k rating on the axles, you might be fine with some regular Carlisle or whatever E rated trailer tires. Not sure if they're cheaper, though.
Yes, I am "bumping the 14K, between my heavy ass Jeep and all it carries, the trailer weight(customized, with a fuel cell, generator, winch,battery, spare tires, Full size truck toolbox with spares and tools, and another toolbox(same size) with camping stuff in it, so yeah, I am close, but not over my trailer rating. So A G rated sounds like what I should have. It's got E rated one right now.
Oh and remember those trailer tires and wheels you give me? Sitting too much in the sun I guess, two of them kinda grew, and eventually blew up just sitting there. LOL, I thought it was funny

A cheap tire saver is some concrete pavers from slowes depot and cheap tire covers off of Amazon.

Explore Land Tire Covers 4 Pack - Tough Tire Wheel Protector for Truck, SUV, Trailer, Camper, RV - Universal Fits Tire Diameters 23-25.75 inches, Black Amazon.com

I'll second the Sailun S637's. I have them on my trailer in the 17.5" variety, and they have been completely fantastic and trouble free. Pull smooth, good traction, great treadwear, and rated at 4400lbs each. Looks like the best price for a set of 4 is from Walmart:

A cheap tire saver is some concrete pavers from slowes depot and cheap tire covers off of Amazon.

Explore Land Tire Covers 4 Pack - Tough Tire Wheel Protector for Truck, SUV, Trailer, Camper, RV - Universal Fits Tire Diameters 23-25.75 inches, Black Amazon.com
100%

Back