Tire Question

obxbronco

The goodyear wrangler adventure tires are crap! I will never have them again. I found 3 brand new nitto terra grappler's at an awesome price. If i put them on my truck (2012 f150) and leave 1 goodyear on until I can find another one, how will this affect the driving?

Why not just wait until you buy the fourth tire?

I'm going to the beach next week, my 2 front tires are about bald on the outside. And I'll be pulling camper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put the odd tire on rear. You won't know it's there

How much tread wear difference? If the oddball is close, I mean within 2-3/32 close, you should be fine, but if the load and tire pressure ratings aren't the same as the nittos, I'd run it on the front. Pulling a camper, you're better off with the matched pair on the back.

If the tread depth is not close, buy another tire or only mount two. Even 4-5/32 difference in tread wear has been known to cause ABS and auto 4x4 issues with ford vehicles especially as new as yours is. I am speaking as a former ford tech, with experience having to explain this exact situation to customers as why they needed all 4 tires when two were "still good".

Even mounting just two may still cause issues, but possibly less then just one oddball. Or you could just pull the ABS fuse......

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

How much tread wear difference? If the oddball is close, I mean within 2-3/32 close, you should be fine, but if the load and tire pressure ratings aren't the same as the nittos, I'd run it on the front. Pulling a camper, you're better off with the matched pair on the back.

If the tread depth is not close, buy another tire or only mount two. Even 4-5/32 difference in tread wear has been known to cause ABS and auto 4x4 issues with ford vehicles especially as new as yours is. I am speaking as a former ford tech, with experience having to explain this exact situation to customers as why they needed all 4 tires when two were "still good".

Even mounting just two may still cause issues, but possibly less then just one oddball. Or you could just pull the ABS fuse......

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

And that's why I asked advice on here! Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even mounting just two may still cause issues, but possibly less then just one oddball. Or you could just pull the ABS fuse...

The diameter difference between the two brands/models of tire is usually going to be greater than the treadwear diameter difference between old and new tires of the same model. Besides the molded diameter difference between the two models, the difference in construction will make the effective radius different for the same load and inflation pressure. A stiffer side wall will have a larger effective radius, etc.

If you do have much of a diameter difference, you may have ABS problems, may also have driveline wear problems if you don't have an open diff. You're basically going around a corner when you're driving straight unless the diameter is very close.

Last edited:
Those tires are supposed to have a 60K mile treadwear warranty. How many miles did you get on yours? I ask because I will soon be in the market for some new shoes to put on my Ram 2500

Those tires are supposed to have a 60K mile treadwear warranty. How many miles did you get on yours? I ask because I will soon be in the market for some new shoes to put on my Ram 2500

I have never gotten anywhere near 60k on a set of tires, especially not on the Dodge.

BTW "about bald on the outside" points more to an alignment or air pressure issue, assuming you are saying the outside is worn more than the middle.

Back