Thoughts on welding up a D35

I know this is going to go over like a lead balloon.

Note to self: Bill you should know enough to stay out of this.

I know where Brent is coming from and although I would have put it a little differently (maybe not nicer - just different) ...

Many of us have been stuck for literally HOURS waiting on trail repairs because someone's junk splattered on an obstacle and couldn't be moved until either fixed or rigged to the point it could be drug off.
And it riuns your day of wheeling

In this sport - She-ite Hapeens. And sometimes it is unavoidable. Ya gets what ya play for. When it is a case of "that's the breaks" just about anyone I have ever wheeled with or around, is quick to jump in and help. And other than good natured ribbing back at the campground, you will rarely hear anyone give you a ration of crap over it.

But when it happens because someone was determined to take a rig that was in no way suitable for an obstacle regardless of good advise not to. Or when someone goes in KNOWING they will most likely break. It is hard to keep from jumpping in their S**t.

It would be one thing if this was a quick fix to get you through the weekend or the next couple weeks, but for a long term temporary solution, it isn't really the answer.

If you think you are catching it here, wait till it breaks on you a couple times on the trail and get ready to listen to BUNCH of @!@%$#. Probably some from yourself. :D

To keep this semi-constructive.

I do understand the concept of temporary, and building on an empty wallet. (Look, I hang out with Caver. I KNOW all about cheap!)
It has already been suggested you either leave it open. Hey that is free. Or do the 8.8 upgrade. Even if you plan to go to something heavier down the road. The 8.8 swap is so popular, that you can recover probably 90% of your investment by selling it when you are ready to step up the the bigger axles. And you will be running something that will stay together for a couple years.

Beats throwing good money after bad on that D35.

Ok, to clear things up and then I'm done with this subject. I'm not 100% sure I'm going to do this. I said that I'd go for it earlier in the thread, but I'm still not 100% on it. I understand everyone's concern about going out and busting it up - trust me, that was my #1 concern also! What I was really looking for (and I should have been clearer in my original post) was for someone who had personal experience with a welded D35 and how it held up. I know some people run fully locked D30/D35 combos with 35's and a 6 cylinder for years and never have any problems. Other people grenade them in bone stock 4 bangers. Alot of it has to do with the type of wheeling and the driving style. Like I said earlier, I made a fully locked D30/M20 combo last in a CJ with a healthy V-8 and 36's, so I have experience wheeling a rig on iffy axles TEMPORARILY until I acquired beefier ones. IF I decide to do this, I'm not gonna go out on the trail and "give it hell", I'm gonna drive it carefully like I always have. I appreciate everyone's opinions and their concerns. I apologize if I got a little touchy, I just tend to get that way if I feel I've been attacked. But, it's all in the name of the sport and I have no hard feelings. Hope everyone feels the same and if we ever meet up, I'd be happy to drink a beer with any of ya!

Bad idea, no matter what axle it is. Leaving room lets the spiders/side gears accelerate before they hit the weld.

You're right it does. Some give it a tooth or 2 for less tire chirping. It seems to work O.K. I see your point though. I definetly wouldn't give it any more than 1 or 2 teeth of play. Good luck with your axle george. I've heard both ends of the story with D35'S. You're gonna upgrade soon anyway, go for it.. I'm all for some beer.... beer is good.....

I say weld it up. A lot of people read the magazines and believe the D35 is crap and breaks after the 1st pothole it hits. But there are those who can wheel the same trails and keep the thing alive. A lot of guys like to think they're the hammer down fool that leaves parts in their wake, but hopefully not you!

Like he said. Weld it up, they aren't quite the absolute pieces of shit that some make them out to be. Just don't be an idiot with it.

rbo1577186 said:
You're right it does. Some give it a tooth or 2 for less tire chirping. It seems to work O.K. I see your point though. I definetly wouldn't give it any more than 1 or 2 teeth of play. .

If you calculate out the distance travelled over your average 90* right hand turn, 1-2 teeth on the sider won't make much of any difference, but the shock loading makes a heck of a difference. Do what you wish, but it's just a really bad idea.

I'm still undecided. I probably won't do it, just because I'm not going to have enough time. I already need to trim my fenders and swap out my springs as it is. I've got my junkyard connection searching out a full floating D60, 9", or 14 bolt right now. I'd prefer the D60. Probably end up going with a beefed D44 in the front. Desirable D60 fronts just cost too much $$$ for this broke @$$. I won't be doing the axle swap for awhile, but I might as well keep an eye out, cuz ya never know when a deal might pop up.

When you explode those axles let me know I will sale a D35 with a super 35 kit already installed. That is if I have mine swapped out by then LOL.

lot of people read the magazines and believe the D35 is crap and breaks after the 1st pothole it hits.
then I guess it's just coincedence that 99% of the axles I've seen in person and or worked on that were broke or severly screwed have been D35's

Like he said. Weld it up, they aren't quite the absolute pieces of shit that some make them out to be.

ya'll go ahead and keep foolin yourselves if it makes you feel better about running them. Personally I shudder at the thougth that I have one under my ZJ. I'm real damn easy on mine with 31's on it. And it's getting tossed As soon as I can put somethig else under there. I've seen too many busted!

I welded mine on my old 95 ZJ w/ 35s about 3 yrs ago. It worked well for about 2 months then finally took a crap.

I say do it, but be prepared when it does break. With it being welded, it will kill everything inside the case. My carrier ended up cracking down the center and taking the ring gear, pinion and both shafts w/ it.

So goodluck and becareful.

B

man, i blew my 35 out with a ragged out 2.5, open, and just 33s. i wouldn't weld it, but it's your decision. as said before, carry spare shafts. beat on it till it breaks. then fix it so it won't do ever again. 8.8, 9, 60, etc.

Back