This is why you need good trailer tires

k5-1402

IMG_20180421_160824.jpg

Being that the trailer axles were single tires, it may very well be Overloaded, too! As for up-righting it, I would have cut the truck loose first, then up-righted trailer & truck each. I doubt they hauled the Loaded trailer off as it was.

Soo....what did the trailer tires have to do with that exactly? It looks like all four tires are intact and inflated. Did I miss something?

So the trailer was a dual tandem axle 12 ton trailer. I know it doesn't look dual wheel in the picture but it was. It was being hauled by a newer RAM 2500. It came around a curve and a tire on the passenger side blew out that was 14 years old, then the trailer went over. A little more chain reaction than that, but essentially that is what happened. Luckily for the truck, the trailer broke away from the hitch just before it took the truck with it.

Last edited:
As for up-righting it, I would have cut the truck loose first, then up-righted trailer & truck each. I doubt they hauled the Loaded trailer off as it was.

No doubt they did more damage to the trailer by leaving the truck attached.

Ah man, and that is one beautiful condition M37 too....

I wonder how much Mr Dude Sir would want for it now?

Last edited:
There was an extra engine and a bumper with winch that fell out of the bed. They actually got the truck straight on the trailer and towed it away with the wrecker pulling the trailer.

Also, I had nothing to do with the actual recovery. I was just helping work the wreck.

Also, to add to the drivers license debate. Motor Carrier would not touch it since the guy was hauling his own stuff in order to move from one residence to another. However, he had Delaware's equivalent of a class c license.

Motor Carrier said we could charge him with driving a vehicle he was not licensed for. We decided not to, but could have. The vehicle in question was the 12 ton trailer.

The title should probably be "that's why you need a good trailer" lol. I can see now that it's one of those weird ass equipment trailers with those stubby axles and one tire all up under the trailer. If it had been an actual tandem dual, I feel like that wouldn't have happened. Those also look like crappy old, bias ply, tires.

I want to know how it came unhooked from the truck. I guess it literally snapped the top off the pintle hitch?

And @XJsavage I can assure you that you don't want a m211 or m135. Turds (gas) for motors and 2 speed automatic transmission. Nothing about them is easy to find or reliable.

I really don't know how how it came unattached. The top was still there but pointing up. It may have broken, but I am not sure. I know everyone was surprised.

I want to know how it came unhooked from the truck. I guess it literally snapped the top off the pintle hitch?

And @XJsavage I can assure you that you don't want a m211 or m135. Turds (gas) for motors and 2 speed automatic transmission. Nothing about them is easy to find or reliable.
It would get the standard treatment. LS, old school manual, np205, SD axles and big stupid tires.

The title should probably be "that's why you need a good trailer" lol. I can see now that it's one of those weird ass equipment trailers with those stubby axles and one tire all up under the trailer. If it had been an actual tandem dual, I feel like that wouldn't have happened. Those also look like crappy old, bias ply, tires.
Those are called "bogey" axles or Bogey tandems PITA and should have never been made

Back