This is F'd up

Reid

Hasnt Seen Dirt in Years
I posted here, its work safe, but the mods might wanna keep any eye on it... i figure some foul languange is ahead.

MAIDEN, N.C. — Hundreds of thousands of gallons of water is draining from a water tower in Maiden because of recently discovered bullet holes.

The tower holds 750,000 gallons of water for Maiden, which is just south of Hickory. Officials must wait for most of the water to drain because repairs must be done inside the holding tank.

Catawba County Sheriff's deputy Major Coy Reid said the tower appears to have been shot three times with a high-powered rifle. He said authorities believe the shooting took place early Monday morning.

Nearby residents heard gun shots but no one called authorities, so the damage wasn't discovered until hours later.

Fixing the damage will likely cost between $15,000 and $20,000

What? All the rednecks up there get bored from shooting up all the road signs so they had to shoot something different...

A tube of jb weld and an old soda can and I can fix it LOL.

Actually there is some stuff called Fast Weld Epoxy Putty. It will stop the leak without draining. We use it to seal fuel tanks on airplanes and the tank does not require to be defueled. Awesome stuff and it sets up hard enough to drill and tap if needed. It is even safe to use with potable (drinking) water.

http://www.tpub.com/content/logistics/80/30/15/01-389-1385.htm

I don't really understand why it is going to cost $15-20k and can't be done from the outside.

Also...
Stupid people are stupid. At least they waited till after it rained.

I don't really understand why it is going to cost $15-20k and can't be done from the outside.
QUOTE]

yeah no kidding. i figure its a good time for a navy diver to practice up on some underwater welding skills.

Probably related to the pressure behind the holes, and the water actively pushing out of it.
It's not like ths is something you can just stick you finger in and stop the leak.
My guess is, the expense is related mostly to the process of re-filling the tank. Repairs themselves probably aren't that much.
Definitely f-ed up.

yeah, i was just discussing the pressure behind the walls at impact on another board. oughta create a pretty bad tear.

Where the hells that little Dutch boy when you need him!

It wouldn't be that hard to back a clean tank up under the streams and collect the water.

It wouldn't be that hard to back a clean tank up under the streams and collect the water.

You mean liek a giant bucket to catch the drip, lol?

You mean liek a giant bucket to catch the drip, lol?
Yeah, thats pretty much it. Last night on the news they showed video of it, it was a solid stream.

well, that would save the water however, im not sure how you would get 750,000 gallons of water back to the top of the tank. i'm not even sure how you "back" a 750K gallon tank up.

i suppose worst case scenario catch it in some sort of container and sell the water to raleigh

i suppose worst case scenario catch it in some sort of container and sell the water to raleigh

Hm, there's a thought!
Back up tanker trucks under it w/ a giant funnel to catch it, fill the truck, then it heads off down 40 East... anotehr one takes it's place, lol.

750k gal is a lot of water... a standard Fire truck tanker holds ~1.5k plus I would never drink that water.... it is NASTY

The tank has to be repaired from the inside because of potable water storage regs. To drain it merely requires setting the altitude valves that control tank levels so it will only discharge and then allow normal water usage and leaks to do the rest of the emptying job. Accessing and working in the tank becomes a confined space operation, which is expensive. Once the repair is completed, it has to be cleaned because of potential contaminants from the repair process, and then inspected. Next is the interior and exterior re-coating process in the area of the repair, and then another inspection before it can be recertified for use.

God, too many years of controls and instrumentation work in the water and wastewater industry. Never thought I'd be posting on this subject on a 4x4 board. :lol:

Back