The Work Travel Thread

Discussion in 'General Chit Chat' started by Croatan_Kid, Aug 31, 2018.

1. DSM Turbos

DSM Turbos Well-Known Member

I have rewards in my name and I use my personal card also so I get cash back. But I get my miles in from long flights and due to the fare shares it normally isn't very good for reward points. Also for hotels most of the foreign countries I go to you often can't stay in the american hotels that we have here, and I have never had to rent a car anywhere. I get upgraded on small legs, but the long 16 hour flights and a ton of points to upgrade.

Andy J. and UTfball68 like this.
  2. Andy J.

Andy J. wheels for beer

As a hard-working American tax payer, I’d like to say Thank You! I bet you’ve seen some crazy stuff. Makes for great campfire stories I bet!

3. Fabrik8

Fabrik8 Overcomplicator

I'm a ME and travel all over the country, but to mostly the same places every year. Don't have time to do anything exciting unless I/we fly there early and spend the weekend. We try to hit the good restaurants that are within a reasonable distance, and the occasional local attraction. I don't bother taking pictures, don't really know why. Probably going to Germany soon for some equipment calibration. Trying to go to France one of these years but hasn't worked out yet.

4. Willc

Willc Well-Known Member

Project Manager for True Value. I fly around and open hardware stores. I have been in a lot of states and out of country once. There is another member on the board that has been doing the same since 91 or so. 240 days or so a year in a hotel room and fly about every 10 days.Yes i get the points

5. Andy J.

Andy J. wheels for beer

6. Croatan_Kid

Croatan_Kid How's your hammer hangin'?

Feel free to post pics yall! That's why I started the thread! I may have some more M/H 53 pictures....I'll look.

Edit: found some :D

20170322_153013.jpg

20170322_153052.jpg

20170322_153029.jpg

Some H60s in Norfolk.
    20170326_130957.jpg

20170326_131016.jpg

This was working on the main gear box in Honduras last Sunday.
    20180826_121335.jpg

20180827_194223.jpg

7. ncsutj

ncsutj Well-Known Member

When I worked at Honda Power Equipment I went to Japan twice to visit suppliers. Those were pretty cool trips. Some food was good and lots of food not so good. I don't like fish or seafood other than cooked shrimp. There was lots of seafood and fish there. Even ate big ass raw shrimp. Japanese guys I was with would order the craziest shot they could find just to see if you would eat it.

Went to about all the Honda manufacturing plants in the US and one in Canada.

Now I sit at a desk and no travel. Some times i miss the travel and change of scenery.

Don't have any cool pictures on this phone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

8. mbalbritton

mbalbritton #@$%!

My favorite place. Maybe because I spent three years ther in high school, but I freaking love London. It will
    Always hold a special place in my heart.

DSM Turbos likes this.
  9. mbalbritton

mbalbritton #@$%!

Seeing as I just got back from Hong Kong and it’s 2:30 am local and I’m freaking wide awake... and it’s suppose to be 2:30pm to me...

Spent the past week in mainland china (as you may already know from
    My other thread) I just got back from southern China inspecting a factory that is a new partner running a new job for us. I spent 3 days in Guangdong China and 2 days of play in Hong Kong. The guys that own the company I work for spoiled me and put me up in a 5 Star Hotel and sent me with a shit of cash to blow. The vendor that brought me over put me up in a nice resort on The China side as well, so my views may be some what scewed.

Attached Files:

10. Andy J.

Andy J. wheels for beer

Did you find the language barrier to be a problem? Any odd customs that you observed while you were there?

11. skyhighZJ

skyhighZJ Thanks for your taxes

@Croatan_Kid when you get done working on them you need to figure out how to jump out of one. The 53 is one of my favorite RW Aircraft to jump from.

Jason W., Croatan_Kid and obullfish like this.
  12. trailhugger

trailhugger Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho Administrator

I don't think architects get much more than sweet potato biscuits from vendors. :lol:

13. Croatan_Kid

I'm just waiting for a squadron to offer me a chance to fly in one....preferably one that has had a recent TRDC job done though.

skyhighZJ likes this.
  14. skyhighZJ

skyhighZJ Thanks for your taxes

The first time I rode in one for a jump I was a young skeeter wing private and being a bit mechanically inclines I realized there was a mist of oil strewn through the air. I got the attention of the loadee and he said “no that’s fine, when it isn’t leaking let me know cause we got a problem” I couldn’t get off that thing fast enough haha.

15. obullfish

obullfish Well-Known Member

I see things haven’t changed. If it ain’t leaking it’s empty was our saying back in the day.

jeepinmatt and skyhighZJ like this.
  16. mbalbritton

mbalbritton #@$%!

Seeing as I Don’t speak a lick of Chinese, yes it was a bit of a hurdle. Not many in China speak English. There were three people at the factory that spoke some English, and you just hope that what you were saying was being translated correctly.

Odd customs? Overall cleanliness was a bit lacking. As well as not drying your hands after you wash them was odd. Yet they think hot tea sanitizes your chop sticks,, cups and bowls...

Andy J. and jeepinmatt like this.
  17. Andy J.

Andy J. wheels for beer

I’ve done a couple business cabins for Chinese airlines and one time we held a critical design review meeting (which is basically the last time they get to see a prototype prior to production) and not a single delegate from the airline spoke English. It was basically a multi-day, multi-million dollar game of Charades.

18. Croatan_Kid

That's what I loved about Japan...90% of them speak English and it's taught in their schools. If you put forth a little effort, they really appreciate it and are more friendly towards you. They're also very clean, structured, and centered around respect. 5 year old kids can walk to school alone. It's pretty awesome.

However, they do think that the crispy edge of a fried egg will give you cancer....nevermind everyone smoking though. :D

And yes...53s are a flying hydraulic leak, inside and out. It's like the Detroit Diesel of helicopters.

19. CasterTroy

CasterTroy Motarded

I'm typically a homebody. Don't really have a DESIRE to go anywhere. Cant really understand when others drone on about wanting to go to a foreign land (my HS girlfriend was OBSESSED with Australia)

However, having said that; Japan is the only place I've ever had the true desire to WANT to visit (and still haven't :rolleyes:)

20. BigBody79

BigBody79 Well-Known Member

The military flies you all over the place to work on helicopters but yet you haven't even been up in one?

That's a load of b/s.

Do they call you in when there are certain problems or when the boots on the ground can't get it done?

21. awheelterd

awheelterd Well-Known Member

I'm jealous. I travel 5mi each way for work each day. I only get to take trips to check out new equipment everybfew years but only within the US. We bought a line from Germany a few years back and I had the opportunity to go for final inspection but had too much going on to make the trip :(

22. Croatan_Kid

There's different levels of maintenance. We're depot level and it's the most in depth. So, it's usually just stuff the squadrons aren't allowed to do. That Honduras trip was just to replace four locking studs on top of the main gear box, but airframes put everything else back together when we got done. However, when we do a tail fold/tail rotor disconnect coupler, that's much more complicated and requires several fixtures that we hang to check alignment and stop gaps.

If I ever get to go out on a ship or in to a hazardous/dangerous zone, I'll likely be flown in on a military flight.

It's only like 8-10 miles from my house to work...but I get to go places sometimes :D

23. Andy J.

Andy J. wheels for beer

I’m doing the non-glamorous part at the moment, but the people-watching is good entertainment.

CA4163F5-617B-4E68-AC14-C0D7D120675F.jpeg

24. kaiser715

kaiser715 Doing hard time

I was lucky, in 35 years only had to travel 3 times for work. Once to Orlando, twice to Atlanta for dealer training. Suited me just fine. Couldn't get out of each place fast enough, either.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

25. StretchASU

StretchASU Well-Known Member

Airport people watching never disappoints.

Andy J., Croatan_Kid and jeepinmatt like this.