The Work Travel Thread

I will if we get the chance

Well, crap. Trip got cut short thanks to problems on another job in Charlotte. Heading back north at 0530 tomorrow...

Anyway, heres some pics from what little free time we actually had.

Monument to the forts in Charleston

20200310_163633.jpg

The old exchange and original customs building

20200310_164829.jpg

20200310_164905.jpg

The new customs building

20200310_171523.jpg

The original Charles Town layout

20200310_171502.jpg

And no trip is complete without a visit to an old fire station!

20200310_173009.jpg

20200310_172923.jpg

20200310_173154.jpg

Oh, and ya gotta get a shirt...

20200310_185512.jpg

20200310_185547.jpg

The Charleston 9 | Charleston, SC - Official Website

Last edited:
Almost forgot I started this thread...

I'm currently in a middle eastern country. It may or may not be an island. They stuck us in a rather nice hotel for two weeks before we get sent out to our final destination. I've had three brain stem swabs so far with another one being imminent.

Extremely last minute trip, very high visibility, and a LOT of people know about it. I think we found out for sure Friday afternoon at 3 and we were in the air Sunday at 1. Our group and our gear were the only ones on the entire airplane. Cost was NOT an issue, apparently.

I'm taking pictures as I can. I'll see if I'm allowed to give details once we're done and maybe post some pics of cool shit. I always said if a trip like this came up, I'd do it at least once. The opportunity to do this just isn't something that happens to most people. It'll be a helluva story!

He said Boca. If thats in FL then thats were Tankers from.. Place has gone to pot to many rude people.. Seems they build 2 story houses that look like crap..

Well guys, I'm finally headed back home. I'll update once I get back and share what details and pics I can!

It's goooood to be back in NC, even if it is Charlotte airport. Now just a stupid ass 9 hour layover til I can head back to New Bern.

Last edited:
It's goooood to be back in NC, even if it is Charlotte airport. Now just a stupid ass 9 hour layover til I can head back to New Bern.
You coulda come over and helped me sweep the shop for 5hrs or something.

So for a quick summary of my trip...

I was gone just over a month. Flew out of Cherry Point on a C40 to Rota, Spain, then to Siganella, Italy, with Manama, Bahrain being my final destination. It was only our crew and gear on the plane. Very high visibility and it was a Pri-1, meaning ot went across the president's desk. I was in a hotel in Bahrain for two weeks before catching a V22 flight out to a Navy boat in the Persian Gulf to work on some 5th gen fighter jets. We stopped in Duqm, Oman for a few days on the boat. After wrapping all that up, a three hour V22 flight back to Bahrain, then a flight to London, then Charlotte, and eventually back to New Bern. It really was a helluva trip and I got to do and see so much stuff that the vast majority of civilians would never see. It was all a pretty cool experience. When I get caught up on stuff around the house, back to a normal sleep schedule, and some free time...I'll post some of the kickass pictures I took.

I'm working on it. Gotta screen them and figure out what I can or can't post and then resize them so they'll upload.

There's some pics from on the way there, on the ship, in port in Oman, the USNS Carl Brashear during the RAS, some V22 flights, my hotel view in Bahrain. All sorts of stuff. Any questions, feel free to ask! I saw and did some pretty awesome shit...not gunna lie!

That's Mt. Vesuvius in Italy, btw. It was cool as hell to fly right past that.

Last edited:
There's some pics from on the way there, on the ship, in port in Oman, the USNS Carl Brashear during the RAS, some V22 flights, my hotel view in Bahrain. All sorts of stuff. Any questions, feel free to ask! Insaw and did some pretty awesome shit...not gunna lie!
Is that a smoking volcano or condensation rolling off the peak?

Back