The dreaded 7.3 fuel bowl leak

Franklin

Happened to me today. Rough starting this morning so I decided to drive the Taco. Tried this afternoon, belching smoke but cleared up. Went for a drive, went a mile when I saw smoke from under the hood. Dumping diesel, I mean DUMPING everywhere. Underhood everything is covered radiator to firewall, side to side. Had a rollback take it to the diesel shop. Hopefully its just o-rings.

Definitely didnt need this. And yes I smell to high heaven

i have had the fuel bowls off several times on my obs fords to replace the lift pumps and i can do them in about 2 hours now.not that bad of a job.might just be the high pressure supply hose going to the fuel bowl or at least thats what it souunds like to me to cover everything under the hood.

I feel your pain bro. I've had mine off twice now - I need a new one, but can't afford it, so I've temporarily JB Welded it on the underside where it was corroded. Still leaks a touch, but not too horrible. I actually priced a fuel bowl delete kit that was in a recent Diesel Power mag, but for close to $1,500 to $2,000 (if memory serves me correctly), I'll eventually just get another fuel bowl. 281K miles on my tow pig, so I can't complain. Too bad you're not down the road still, I could have helped you out. Give me a shout man.

Probably just the orings on the yellow petcock onthe back of the bowl. 4 torx screws, 2 orings, and 30 minutes is all it takes. You gotta be limber as hell too and practically sit on the top of the engine.

Happened to me and it was spraying..i mean SPRAYING...everywhere. Soaked the insulation mat under the hood and everything else around.

Grainger has the orings. Ford wants to sell you a whole kit of crap with them.

Probably just the orings on the yellow petcock onthe back of the bowl. 4 torx screws, 2 orings, and 30 minutes is all it takes. You gotta be limber as hell too and practically sit on the top of the engine.
Happened to me and it was spraying..i mean SPRAYING...everywhere. Soaked the insulation mat under the hood and everything else around.
Grainger has the orings. Ford wants to sell you a whole kit of crap with them.
x2 this cold weather usually gets the drain. a little water freezes and leaks pretty good. also the pressure switch is bad for leaking

you can make your own fuel bowl delete kit for nothing especialy if you have a 99+. if you have an OBS get a 99-03 SD pump off ebay or somewhere. Napa has numerous screw on fuel filters and basess for less than $100 bucks then all you need is fuel line, fittings, and a regulator($150ish). And a pump if you have an OBS.

Its really an easy setup. I have a 1k dollar fuel system on mine and I have since found ways to make them for like less than $500.

Back