The Difference in Fire Extinguishers

I have a pressure water extinguisher that I used extensively when I was a call firefighter (and it's in the garage for use now). We mixed Class A foam in them. You will be amazed how much fire (of the right type) you can put out with 2.5 gal of water and some Class A foam. I have a 1/2 gal of Silvex that came with me when I moved here but will buy more in a heartbeat when I run out.

I use small flexible plastic vacuum cap inside the nozzle to keep mud and wasps out of the business end of my extinguishers.

I was worried I’d forget to pull it in an emergency and it would get stuck.

That extract thing happened, it blew the vacuum cap directly where I was aiming like the wad from a shotgun shell haha.

Sorry for the blurry pic, I need a new case.

I check all my extinguishers once a year, remove them, shake them, if the chemical has settled, I smack them with a dead blow to get it moving again.

I always remember in my osha class the instructors drilling us on shaking it violently as we are walking up to use them. They would fail us on our execution test if we didn’t check that in putting out our test fire.

Interesting fact: the manufacturer actually doesn't recommend the "loosening of the powder" anymore. In their testing it actually decreases the powders fire fighting effectiveness (a small bit) for 2 weeks until it settles back down a little. The powder now is designed to flow regardless of compaction.

BTW: If anyone is local to Raleigh/Benson area I usually have an abundance of extinguishers that would be ok for home/garage/vehicle use. They have been removed because at some point it is cost prohibitive to maintain them vs new but they are still rechargable/usable for non commercial use.

Interesting fact: the manufacturer actually doesn't recommend the "loosening of the powder" anymore. In their testing it actually decreases the powders fire fighting effectiveness (a small bit) for 2 weeks until it settles back down a little. The powder now is designed to flow regardless of compaction.

BTW: If anyone is local to Raleigh/Benson area I usually have an abundance of extinguishers that would be ok for home/garage/vehicle use. They have been removed because at some point it is cost prohibitive to maintain them vs new but they are still rechargable/usable for non commercial use.

Good to know. [emoji106]

Bring some of my old ones back :lol:

I installed this in the comanche, cheap insurance. In speaking with my local fire and safety, it just gives you a time buffer, to get out and begin suppression with additional units. I have a 2.5 lb ABC in cab as well, and a 5 lb ABC on the exterior.

Fire Bottle RC-500 5lb Bottle Manual Pull Cable Dupont FE36

I have used that same mount with a 5lb but needed 2 bigger hose clamps. Readily available on Amazon also. The 2.5lbs come with a vehicle bracket but the quick releases hold a little better.

SFA Fire Protection, Inc
Salisbury
(Tell him Jeremy with Parrish Fire sent you)

Coincidentally I have Nelson from SFA at the plant right now for fire extinguisher training. If you know him, I was the big scruffy f*cker in a pink polo.

Last edited:
I installed this in the comanche, cheap insurance. In speaking with my local fire and safety, it just gives you a time buffer, to get out and begin suppression with additional units. I have a 2.5 lb ABC in cab as well, and a 5 lb ABC on the exterior.

Fire Bottle RC-500 5lb Bottle Manual Pull Cable Dupont FE36
Is this what I see as referred to as a engine suppression system? Seems to me that all of these are just to buy you time to get out and away.

Coincidentally I have Nelson from SFA at the plant right now for fire extinguisher training. If you know him, I was the big scruffy f*cker in a pink polo.
Ha Nelson is his his friend he is referring to. He put in my CO2 system. Jeremy is a great resource. If he can't get you what you need, he knows who can.

Ha Nelson is his his friend he is referring to. He put in my CO2 system. Jeremy is a great resource. If he can't get you what you need, he knows who can.

If we can't do it, we most of the time know someone that can. After being in the business for 15 years myself and dad doing it almost 40 we know a few people here and there.

After a rash of very local home fires this past week (likely all stem from use of ancient wood stoves/kero heaters)... I found my preps lacking and the 5# ABC in the shop to be a totally "dead" 🤬

Would like to outfit the shop with multiple 5#-10# ABCs... is Amerex still a decent brand or cheapened to compete on Amazon @LBZ_Duramax ?
Also looking to add multiple "FireAde" type to shop/Jeep/towrig... aside from BK, appears they've resorted to marketing on HSN :rolleyes:, so are there any other brands recommended brands (ColdFire, FireDog, etc.) in that class?

Back