The Coffee Thread

I love to smell a can of coffee.

Is part of the problem that you've only had coffee that comes in a can....? :D

You could relate it to box wine compared to..... ......real wine. Many people drink box wine perfectly happily, and many people don't like wine because they've only had the cheap crap in a box.

Last edited:
I think part of the problem is that you've only had coffee that comes in a can....? :D

You could relate it to box wine compared to..... ......real wine. Many people drink box wine perfectly happily, and many people don't like wine because they've only had the cheap crap in a box.
I have been exposed to some high end coffee before, not just cans. I've seen it in foil wrapped brick form too. :D

Black coffee is great. You actually can taste the coffee and the different kinds and how they are roasted, etc. sugar and creamer just hides the real flavor of coffee and ruins it.
Because of this thread I tried my coffee black for 3 weeks. Just wasnt impressed
Then spoke with my boss. I knew he drank his black. He turned me on to good bourbon, so I figured he had some kind of gourmet coffee as well.
I was wrong. Just plain Starbucks, but whole bean. However, he DID enlighten me on coffee makers and grinders. He uses a bonavita that brews at higher temps than standard coffee makers, and uses a burr mill grinder.
I decided it to go ahead and get both as my Mr Coffee was about 8 years old anyway. Also decided to order some whole bean coffee from S&D
holy crap what a difference!
I'm about 2 months in and I just can't even think about coffee any other way than black and brewed in my bonavita

Because of this thread I tried my coffee black for 3 weeks. Just wasnt impressed
Then spoke with my boss. I knew he drank his black. He turned me on to good bourbon, so I figured he had some kind of gourmet coffee as well.
I was wrong. Just plain Starbucks, but whole bean. However, he DID enlighten me on coffee makers and grinders. He uses a bonavita that brews at higher temps than standard coffee makers, and uses a burr mill grinder.
I decided it to go ahead and get both as my Mr Coffee was about 8 years old anyway. Also decided to order some whole bean coffee from S&D
holy crap what a difference!
I'm about 2 months in and I just can't even think about coffee any other way than black and brewed in my bonavita

Black coffee for the win every day. Even cold brew coffee is good without sugar and milk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I couldn't really tell you what's good or bad, I just like it. Kinda like pizza and sex, even if it's bad, it's still pretty good. I have a trusty Keurig Classic, a programmable brewer and an espresso machine. The wife is in to cold brewing and French press. I get fresh ground from a local shop...Saturday/Sunday mornings brew a pot, mix with a fifth of bourbon and kill it by noon. During the week I stick with the K cups, primarily Gevalia and 8 o'clock cups...and will pound 4-5 cups before lunch. If we're talking about how we take the coffee, I guess if you're in to black and bitter chicks, that's how I like mine.

Still the same...but gave up the fresh ground bags...wasn’t enough of a difference for it to be worth the effort to me. But I tend to love cheap diner coffee, so I probably just have bad taste. 1 10 oz k cup before work, 6-8 8oz k cups on the ‘strong setting’ at work. Try to not drink any after 1-2pm. I also tend to like to drink my coffee at room temperature too.

We have been grinding and brewing the Harry titter breakfast blend, Jamaican blend and the Kona here at the house. It isn’t bad and when you can buy 2 bags get 3 free it tastes even better! Black of course.

I probably just have bad taste.

Nah. You know good bourbon

But I tend to love cheap diner coffee

Fun fact: the small diners around here all use S&D (out of Charlotte)
And most diners use the same Hobart type coffee maker that heats the water to 200 (like bonavita) which apparently makes a huge difference in extracting the flavor from coffee

I drink one or two cups of Maxwell House coffee per day, black.

Nah. You know good bourbon

Fun fact: the small diners around here all use S&D (out of Charlotte)
And most diners use the same Hobart type coffee maker that heats the water to 200 (like bonavita) which apparently makes a huge difference in extracting the flavor from coffee
A lot of the coffee around here is produced by S&D....my dad works there so I gots the hook up :huggy:

I love to grind beans fresh and use a French press and all that fancy stuff. With good beans, it’s great. But now a days, I rarely have time to do anything other than load the cuisinart coffee maker with store bought pre-ground coffee. I often get a pound or two ground at the store but not much more than that so it doesn’t go flat before brewing.

Just started getting into coffee. I was a zero cal monster/sugar free redbull every morning. Wife and I both drink black coffee now. Need to get an order in to BRCC as well.

... heats the water to 200 (like bonavita) which apparently makes a huge difference in extracting the flavor from coffee

Truth. I've got a Chemex coffee maker that the wife got for me when we got our new house (long/ridiculous story why, but lets just call it a gift lol). They actually tell you in their instruction to bring the water to a rolling boil, let it sit off the heat just until it stops boiling, then pour the water over the grounds.

Visual aid shown here...can't believe it, but it's actually on YouTube (ok, I can, people probably put videos of themselves picking their noses on YouTube, although I was too afraid to actually search that to prove it to myself):

It does actually make a difference in flavor.

If your local to Mooresville, NC try Black Powder coffee. Roasted in Mooresville as well. I can't go back to peasant coffee now..
The sell other places but the selection is best in Mooresville. I have enjoyed the snicker doodle and cinnamon bun. They also have a Rum flavor but I'm not a fan of Rum.

Truth. I've got a Chemex coffee maker that the wife got for me when we got our new house (long/ridiculous story why, but lets just call it a gift lol). They actually tell you in their instruction to bring the water to a rolling boil, let it sit off the heat just until it stops boiling, then pour the water over the grounds.

Visual aid shown here...can't believe it, but it's actually on YouTube (ok, I can, people probably put videos of themselves picking their noses on YouTube, although I was too afraid to actually search that to prove it to myself):

It does actually make a difference in flavor.

I'm a huge fan of the Chemex!

I do the Starbucks k cups out of convenience. I didn’t know about the water temperature thing. Now I gotta go get another coffee machine.

I like to drink mine with Kerry Gold butter in it.

I do the Starbucks k cups out of convenience. I didn’t know about the water temperature thing. Now I gotta go get another coffee machine.

Most Keurig machines default to 192 degrees Some are programmable - I know mine is. I haven't tried going any hotter with mine. Usually when I brew it right to my YETI tumbler, it's about 2 hours before the temp goes down enough to drink it!

I've heard this a few times now. So this am I took a spoon and took a little bit off a stick of kerrygold....and was very pleasantly surprised

Did NOT taste like coffee with butter in it

I've heard this a few times now. So this am I took a spoon and took a little bit off a stick of kerrygold....and was very pleasantly surprised

Did NOT taste like coffee with butter in it

I was almost offended by the "butter-in-the-coffee" thing...but now I'm almost curious enough to try it. Almost.

I was almost offended by the "butter-in-the-coffee" thing...but now I'm almost curious enough to try it. Almost.

As a fat man, I thought "Well this is the LAST damn thing I need"

As an AGING fat man I thought "Fuggit....better to die having tasted the better things in life than lived longer having eaten tree bark and drinking kale cleanses"

Shit's good bruh

As a fat man, I thought "Well this is the LAST damn thing I need"

As an AGING fat man I thought "Fuggit....better to die having tasted the better things in life than lived longer having eaten tree bark and drinking kale cleanses"

Shit's good bruh
:lol::lol: Good point with the kale cleanses and tree bark. Those will definitely be on the list of things I WON'T be consuming.

So is it specifically Kerry Gold, or will any ol butter do the trick? I ain't got the froggiest what is in the fridge right now. But I do know that whatever it is fawked up my carbonara last night (and not in a good way).

I tried butter in coffee at the recommendation of @trailhugger, I liked it very much. It’s surprisingly very good.

I also just ordered some Black Riffle Coffee CAF, I will report my thoughts when it arrives.

So is it specifically Kerry Gold, or will any ol butter do the trick?

Can't confirm if any ole butter will work. We found Kerry Gold about 2 years ago after a friend raved about it. I mean...its butter right o_O

Umm no. It makes a HUGE difference in cooking. Now, my wife refuses to have any other butter in the fridge.

So odd..its like I hit my mid 40s and decided that TASTE was headed straight to the top of my list.

Back