The Base Camp - Super Duty Ambulance Conversion

Falko

So I'm purposely not calling this an RV conversion (for now) because I don't know how close it will end up being to an RV. The full scope is still coalescing, but here's whats firm.

This rig will be a base camp for outdoor activities. It will have Jeep towing capabilities, room for motorcycles inside, be a dry place to sleep when the rains make tenting miserable, and storage for all the equipment and tools needed for an extended back country trip.

It will be RV enough to be titled as an RV though.

Here's what showed up:

20181103_182952.jpg
20181103_113938.jpg
s-l500 (6).jpg
s-l500 (5).jpg
s-l500 (3).jpg
s-l500 (4).jpg

I'm planning to work this in phases. First phase is interior up fit followed by 4WD conversion, followed by accessorization.

Then the real work begins. Full interior gut:
20181226_163019.jpg

As you can see, I pulled a @Dylan W. and managed to find rotten wood in a box made completely of aluminum.
20181226_163025.jpg

I got all of that cleaned out, but likely have the HIV from whatever liquid soaked into the floor enough to rot it all out:
20190111_214436.jpg

This unit was originally built for San Angelo, TX. all of the hidden areas behind everything was filled with super fine dust; well beyond the filtration capability of my shop vac:
20190112_115224.jpg

Then today I put in a fresh floor:

20190112_170442.jpg

The interior build starts tomorrow.

Are you going leaf spring or coils up front? I hope you use an 05+ axle...they've got a muuuch better turn radius.

I am mystified that these RV and ambulance makers have not figured out a better construction method!

If you want some cheap/free lvp flooring just let me know.
Thanks man. Definitely might take you up on that. For now it's going to stay plywood until the interior is complete.
Looks like a good project.
Motor? 7.3, V10?
Sure would be great to keep the lights working in case you need to get around traffic :D
7.3, currently at 166k
Are you going leaf spring or coils up front? I hope you use an 05+ axle...they've got a muuuch better turn radius.
Planning on 05+ axle and coil springs. Figured it would be easier since this is already coil sprung. Hadn't thought about turning radius, that's a good bonus.

Last edited:
7.3, currently at 166k

Does the computer track total engine hours? It will probably read way above (double or more) what the odometer would suggest.

Does the computer track total engine hours? It will probably read way above (double or more) what the odometer would suggest.
Doesn't matter, still averages over 25mpg

Didn't get as much done this weekend as I'd hoped; my metal order for the rest of the cabinets was delayed and then I promptly ran out of splatter gun wire on Saturday morning.

A few updates... the beer fridge arrived. Still needs to be bolted down.
5c25ccbc688f632f839e9191b2b764d7.jpg
4b88b1f97585a65096842556030ea225.jpg

And I redid the main lighting to cut power consumption and gain back some headroom. The ceiling is temporary screwed in until I can trim it out better. Will end up getting painted as well.
974a8c3d2b11c0ea9bdbed7486b012d8.jpg

Small update before I head out for a few weeks.

The box has work lights on both sides. They are halogen, and only work on shore power or generator.
56c1767e990eb6ada56a9fed9b6fbd52.jpg

They also don't seal in any way, and was the source of a rodent infestation prior.
da69b672417ac1754c9c99711d99ba5d.jpg

I decided to make some housings to put cheapo LEDs in so I could run them via the battery only
2241af5694e9975cfad0d8786c81f832.jpg

Ignore the art project quality aluminum welding.

And installed to seal it up:
94cf2732a5391644f9479ad681ac2e47.jpg

Nice project! The only problem I would have with one of these is my initial germaphobe OCD... I would be bleaching the entire inside, then I would be good to go :D

Nice project! The only problem I would have with one of these is my initial germaphobe OCD... I would be bleaching the entire inside, then I would be good to go :D
I wore surgical gloves for most of the teardown. The necessity to do so was punctuated in the first day (before I was wearing gloves) when I grabbed a piece of stainless plate to pull it up from the floor and my hand came out wet and brown.

I grabbed a piece of stainless plate to pull it up from the floor and my hand came out wet and brown.

:eek: :shaking: I would have probably thrown up

Aight, time to crowdsource some ceiling ideas.

The hardboard that I put in originally was reasonably flat when it went up, but a few temperature and humidity cycles have it looking hella wavy:
510cf1310b3649bd485d90aa700a22ec.jpg

The issue is that the ceiling frame height is 6'1". With boots on I am 6'63/64". I'm trying to retain the ability to stand up fully, so I need a stiff yet thin covering. I'm debating a tensioned fabric, but I'm having trouble visualizing how to execute it, and to mount the lights through it.

The original ceiling was fiberglass. This is an option but will be fairly expensive.

Any ideas?

Well, the ambulance is not that tall, If you walk in and there and down.
While your hanging on one of the bars on the ceiling.
I focused on insulation that goes up there.
The insulation buys me 2-3 hours in the morning.
Which it hoter outside but is cold inside.

Back