Th400/atlas clocking

Mac5005

On my dads @moldman05 buggy, he has a th400 to an atlas. His th400 has the short 1.4” stickout.

Currently has the atlas input retainer/clocking ring to the atlas to 400 adapter.

With the studs clocking the cas as flat as possible, the front output is still down 4-5”. All the other clocking holes drop the front down farther.

When mocking it up, to get the case flat, the bolts that secure the clocking ring/input retainer to the atlas housing need to be studs and go straight through to the t400 adapter.

Can’t run another clocking ring as we would lose a lot of spline engagement.

Any ideas?

My initial thought is to get studs that go straight through both pieces.

This would require tightening nuts between the adapter and clocking ring, and the nuts no taller than the counterbored area. The counterbore area is deep enough for the current socket head cap screws and flat washers. Then another set of nuts to hold the adapter to the clocking ring.

Or

Studs that go straight through clocking ring and adapter , and only one set of nuts holding it all together. I’m wary of this method as to remove the case, there would be nothing then holding the input retainer/clocking ring to the case housing.

Pics this afternoon.

Anyone worked through this issue with a proven solution?

Is there no off the shelf solution? From AA?

If not, maybe get the TH400 to D300 adapter and redrill it as needed for your preferred clocking?

I know when I ordered my Atlas, I had to choose the clocking option that suited my configuration (4L60E and Atlas 2). I chose passenger drop which gave me several clocking options up to almost flat.
6F01F5FA-83C2-4689-B802-173A1B5F45A8.jpeg

Studs installed on transmission.
43B2A0EC-D48E-4210-961C-9911BC2FBECB.jpeg

Hex heads secure the adapter to Atlas
A0E6176E-F9C6-4753-84FD-69181A7786D7.jpeg

Small PITA nuts secure adapter to transmission studs. I think I remember having 4 clocking options. If those didn’t work, the Atlas could be redrilled for other options.

Is there no off the shelf solution? From AA?

If not, maybe get the TH400 to D300 adapter and redrill it as needed for your preferred clocking?

There are at least 2 different clocking options with the th400 atlas. The difference is where the holes are in the case. The only way to change it is to redrill the case to rotate the clocking ring on the case.

I had some similar issues with my th350 and atlas. I eventually flipped my adapter upside down and adjusted the holes as needed to get it to align where needed.

Forgot to take pics when I was at shop. I’ll try to get them in the morning.

Can’t replace clocking ring with an off the shelf d300 style unit as it also serves as input seal housing and input shaft retainer.

Don’t want to add another 3/4”-1” clocking ring as we would lose spline engagement in the input.

Those shouldered studs would work as long as it would tighten down on the input retainer(clocking ring)

I’ll check about flipping the adapter over completely and changing the clocking the opposite way.

Yes the real fix would be to redrill the 6 holes in the atlas but no time for that lol.

Also looked at going 60 degrees the opposite way to the next stud, and then clocking again “up” to flat, but would lose one of the six studs bc the pattern isn’t symmetrical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back