Terminating wires

YotaOnRocks

I've got several wires hanging around under the hood of my 4runner that are hot and don't go to anything. Whats a good way to terminate them. I was thinking about crimping a butt splice on and adding some heat shrink but wondering if there is a less ghetto looking way.

Heat shrink over the end. No need for a butt connector.

Don't let me ever see it. :lol:

I'd fix it for free. In other words, trace it back through the harness, all the way to the pin.

Or..... Use them for under hood lights. LED strips. one of the best things I've ever done to a rig was installed under hood lights. It just makes it so much easier to do a trailer repair.

Don't let me ever see it. :lol:

I'd fix it for free. In other words, trace it back through the harness, all the way to the pin.

Or..... Use them for under hood lights. LED strips. one of the best things I've ever done to a rig was installed under hood lights. It just makes it so much easier to do a trailer repair.

Come on over. Lol

Attachments

• 0205192335.jpg
    0205192335.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 306
Hook em all together with a big wire nut.

I like to fold the end of the (un-stripped) wire over about 3/8 to 1/2 inch, and then put a piece of heat shrink over the doubled portion. It looks tidy, the heat shrink won't slide off, and it's easy to tell a capped wire apart from a spliced wire that's broken at the splice. I mostly use that method for small gauge wires and signal wires.

Last edited:
That looks nice and uniform to me.
The wires im talking about are around the passenger side engine mount. They all went to misc. emission items. I want to cut them back to the main harness and terminate there. Now I've got some good ideas on how to do so.

I think I phrased that wrong. I was going for "don't ever use a wire nut on automotive wiring".

I guess you could use a wire nut with stranded wire in a nice stationary house or whatever, yeah. :D

Yeah here is a time, place and application for everything. That said, Id take a properly installed wire nut over a scotchlock everyday of the week and 2x on Sunday.

Here we go with the “burning stuff down” again. Just make sure to use a match so the wires and wire nut have something to grab to.
I prefer to call it "the fusefinder" but whatever.

Back