Tent Zipper...

UTfball68

I was camping in Ohio this weekend, tripped over the little 3-4" lip to get in my tent. Later that night as I pulled the slide closed, the slide came completely off. Realized the damage I did when I tripped, it pulled the teeth of the zipper from the 'mounting' seam at the base. No biggie, just work the slide back on...well, apparently when I pulled the slide down to close the flap, it unwound about an inch of teeth on one side. So now I have a $300 tent with a useless main flap. I obviously think junking it is silly, so what's the fix? I'm not that good with a needle or sewing machine, so I couldn't sew a new zipper on, anywhere I could send it for a fix? I've also read that I could put some duct tape on the end of the teeth as a guide and work the slide back on...and jerry rig a stop. Or I was thinking just lining the flap with velcro or magnets (also probably the easiest 'fix') and call it good. So what says you guys...what's the fix???

If it is a reputable brand you could return it for a repair.

In the past I have used super glue to fix many zippers on backpacks and sleeping bags with good success.

Thanks for the suggestions...just an entry level Ascend tent...not sure how there customer service is...but I figured they'd laugh in my face if they knew it's 2.5 years old and been out on 3 dozen or so trips. Even if they did take it back to repair, I have a bit of a time crunch...first week of September I have a week long trip planned to the OBX...so if it could get fixed and returned in 6 weeks, great, if not I'll bear the brunt of the repair.

Back