Talk me out of an electric (corded) weedeater

jcramsey

I’ve got a tiny yard and I’m tired of gas powered machines that last a couple of seasons and then need replaced. Aside from having my man card revoked...any reason not to look at a corded weedeater? Looking for one that will accept my attachments so I can use my edger and hedge trimmer.

Aside from having my man card revoked...
Don't forget your gloves.:lol:
il_570xN.1014914417_bw41.jpg

Battery powered

If your yard is that small, get a battery powered one. Some of them have interchangeable attachments and all that stuff, and some of them are actually worth a shit unlike most consumer grade crap. Milwaukee makes some stuff, as do most of the good brands of battery op stuff (and the shitty brands too) and Stihl makes some too.

I was tired of messing with gas weed eaters. Mine died a tragic death last season, in a terrible accident with my temper and my driveway. I finally had enough and destroyed it.

I just bought a Dewalt 20V Max battery powered weed-eater and I’m real happy with it. I don’t have much to to trim, but I had let it go for not having one, once I got it I did the whole yard, and edged the driveway with juice left to spare.

I sort of wish I’d spent the money to buy the Milwaukee but the Dewalt was only $150. It’s a touch heavier than I like, not balanced well as the head is heavy. But I can deal with for what little I have to do.

battery powered.

Hell I have an old electric one around somewhere I'll give you free, I hated it so much.
Dealing with the damn cord is such a huge pain in the ass. Gets wrapped around everything and you gotta be careful how/where you walk.
Don't forget you need a good 12 ga cord, your typical cheap 16 ga won't let it pull enough amps to work wort ha shit. By the time you buy a good cord and the whacker, the difference in cost from a halfway decent battery unit isn't worth your frustration.

Battery powered
Battery powered
get a battery powered one
Dewalt 20V Max battery powered

I’m sensing a theme :D Any particular reason aside from ease of use? I’ve already got a corded leaf blower so I don’t mind dragging the cord around.

I’ll check out the cordless options that are out there though...will need something that’s compatible with the attachments I’ve already got.

Edit: good point @RatLabGuy

Last edited:
Battery over corded because why fool with a cord? Battery tech has came a long way, I can literally go out to my garage and pick my weedeater up and go to work. No gas, no cords, nothing. The battery charges in one hour. By the time you put your cord back up, I’ve put the battery back on the charger, grabbed a drink and got in the shower.

Battery power FTW. Get a brand name one and you’ll be gtg. I don’t regret going to the battery powered one, but I wish I had spent a little more coin on a higher quality unit. I have the Worx 20v and with two fully charged batteries can just barely weedeat and clear the road/driveway with the matching blower on my half acre yard.

If you were in Charlotte I'd give you my electric trimmer, bought 20 years ago, once we put a fence in the back yard on a 1/4 acre bought a gas trimmer and never looked back.
I'd say battery from all the previous posts too.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I'm not opposed to battery powered, but they all seem to have a proprietary connection for attachments and I'm too cheap to buy more when the one's I've got work.

I can literally go out to my garage and pick my weedeater up and go to work.

This is why I love a 2 stroke. Three pulls and it's running. No waiting for a battery to charge, just keep the tank full and it'll run all day.

So long as it's a Stihl or Echo or something, you can pick up parts anywhere to fix it.

If its orange and gas powered it will last longer than a few seasons. I still prefer the gas powered stuff since I keep premix at all times. No forgetting to charge the battery, no dying in the middle of use and needing to wait for it to charge etc. Echo is my go to, but anything orange will suffice.

I have a gas Stihl that was my primary weed eater for years. It now has a steel blade for underbrush , but my Milwaukee cordless is what does most of the work.

I weed eat about two acres of yard. I go around the house , poles and trees and one 9.0 battery does all of it . No heat , way less noise , and no having to go get fuel because you're out. I dont mention the start up issues like some have as I always use ethanol free fuel and stihl oil. As of late I have switched to Moto Mix as it seems to last longer before going bad as I dont use the Stihl much. I was a doubter of the cordless yard tools , but I even switched to a Milwaukee blower and will keep adding cordless yard tools as they come out and I need them.

EGO Power has a great reputation and is outselling Stihls cordless line across our markets. The Milwaukee products I have are great and were an easy choice for me as I already had Milwaukee tools . But my wife's cheapie Worx weedeater is shockingly good for what it cost and is what started the cordless trip for us.

+1 on the Milwaukee.
Bought a 13' pole saw a no th or so back and it changed my mind forever. I never had huge starting issues, but man the set down pick up no pull at all and no noise...its crazy to weedeat or chsin saw and carry on a conversation.
I've got 2 9.0ah batteries and I've ran the weed eater for 3+ hours and still had a half battery.

My WIFE bought a Dewalt 20V (since I was already heavily invested in batteries/tools) for "around the house"... light, quiet, easy to operate.
A 5.0aH battery will do the majority of around the house, 3 small outbuildings, the pump cover, and most of the former 20'x75' garden.

For everything else (without compromise, anywhere), I have a Stihl FS131 with their "4-MIX" (2-stroke with valves) that is the most powerful thing I've ever seen!
Will sling line thru 5' tall weeds or brush blade thru everything else up to a couple inches thick with very little bog/recovery... merrily bouncing of the rev limiter!

This is why I love a 2 stroke. Three pulls and it's running. No waiting for a battery to charge, just keep the tank full and it'll run all day.

So long as it's a Stihl or Echo or something, you can pick up parts anywhere to fix it.

If its orange and gas powered it will last longer than a few seasons. I still prefer the gas powered stuff since I keep premix at all times. No forgetting to charge the battery, no dying in the middle of use and needing to wait for it to charge etc. Echo is my go to, but anything orange will suffice.

If you have plenty to trim, no doubt a gas is better. I'm not hating on gas at all, but for some of us that have very little to trim the battery powered is a great.

If you have plenty to trim, no doubt a gas is better. I'm not hating on gas at all, but for some of us that have very little to trim the battery powered is a great.
I've got 3 acres an outbuilding and a pond i weedeat around

Back