taking doors off?

89TJ

ok ok, im a newb at this....i have a 89 cherokee....and its hot, because of no ac...ive seen ppl w/ their front 2 doors off before, and it looks like it'd be a hellova lot cooler than w/ the doors on...how do i go about taking them off? it looks like there is a pin on the hinges does that just come out? or am i going to have to go get a star key to unbolt the hinges or what? also...what do i do about the wiring harness that goes into the doors.....any help is appreciated, thanks

where are you in charlotte? i could probably help you out... but basically you have to unbolt them and figure out some way to make the wires "quick disconnect"

I'm sure somehow someone has separated the hinges, and ground down the pin for a TJ/YJ/CJ style, easily removable and replaceable door. Bueller?

Yea we did the lift off quick on and off door to my little bro's xj on all 4 doors. The problem with unbolting the doors to take them off is you have to spend the time to realign them every single time you take em off. The way we did it u just have to unbolt it once. then you cut the bottom hinge off and we ground down/cut the pin and with a little grease they slide off and on pretty easy. I also replaced all those gay torx things with normal bolts (whoever invented the torx needs to be beat up :mad: never had anything but problems with them). As far as the wiring making it quick dissconnect is simple, just put some male/female plugs on the end of the wires and unplug em to take off the door. Just make sure to Get some type of rear veiw mirror becaue in NC you have to have the main rear view then at least one other side rear veiws or you'll get a ticket. Autozone/napa sells cheap easy stick on side rear veiw mirrors you could stick to your fender whenever you take the doors off. But your best bet would to get someone who's done it b4 to help, 91Yota is probably closer to you than me, I'm up in Mooresville.

Back