Tahoe Towing?

tows my yj great, never is a problem. make sure you have electric brakes and all.

You tow on a trailer right? I usually tow my YJ on my tandem trailer. I noticed the Tahoe has a 9K capacity. It has the (auto ride?) suspension. Good or bad? Keep in mind this will not be a permanant tow rig, just until he can find a truck he/we wants.

dual axle all metal 7000 lb (rated) trailer with electric brakes.

just make sure you use the tow/haul mode on the tranny or it will try to shift way before it should. wind the 5.3 up, it needs it, but once it is rolling, it is ample. and it is a very comfortable tow rig. be ready for 8-9 MPG though.

i assume the "auto ride" suspension part is the rear airbags. i have those also, and it keeps the rear from sagging which is very nice, rides smooth too.

I use my parents 2000 (new body style) Yukon to tow all the time. Has air bags (auto ride) in the rear like you're talking about. It does great - the air bags always level things out nicely. Never had a problem with the 5.3L. Towed a 1-ton Chevy 4x4 pickup home from Indiana, which included a trip through the mountains in WV, and had no prob. I don't expect it to be a rocketship when the trailer is attached, and it maintained 65 mph on all hills with no prob.

Using tandem axle all steel car trailer with electric brakes.

Keep it outta overdrive... ;)

Here is what I do when towing - I use Tow/Haul and cruise with the trans in OD, and then if the trans downshifts to 3rd going up a hill, I pull the shifter into 3rd and keep it there until I reach the top of the hill, then shift back into OD.

If the speed limit is 45 mph or less, I just keep it in 3rd and don't use OD.

My parents Yukon has the factory towing package, so I assume it has a trans cooler. I never looked though. 3.73 gears.

It has 100k miles on it now with no probs.

thecarman said:
My parents Yukon has the factory towing package, so I assume it has a trans cooler. I never looked though.

I'd bet you a 6pack of suds that it *only* has the OEM "cooler" (actually more of a pre-heater) run thru the radiator regardless of any towing options. Anyone that tows alot, RV'ers, HotShot haulers, etc., will tell you the addition of a LARGE external cooler (whether you plumb into the OEM or bypass the OEM & make it the only cooler) is a must for late model autos to live...

FWIW, When my brothers '99(?) Z71 smoked the tranny pulling an empty 18' trailer... we thought the same thing! Had the "factory towing pkg." which should've got him the needed "good stuff"... actually translated into possibly larger capacity charging system, and a freakin plug in the aft end for trailer wiring... that was it! No HD cooling, no true tranny cooler, no bigger brakes, no HD suspension...NOTHING! :eek:

He was both shocked and PO'd... tranny was replaced under extended warranty and quickly sold for a 2500HD. You can bet your arse it has a HUGE EXTERNAL tranny cooler mounted up front of the rad! :smokin:

I agree - check to see if you've got the cooler! :) I'll check the Yukon for a trans cooler the next time I see my parents and let you know.

I know my 1990 K5 has factory towing package and *did* come with an additional trans cooler (not just the usual one in the radiator).

But my 1990 Burb did not have the towing package, and did not have the trans cooler, and the previous owner proceeded to smoke the TH700R4 at about 80K miles. When I got it, I installed a big B&M external cooler behind the grille. :driver:

I towed a few times with my 98 burb. Rode fine just use OD as stated above. The main reason I stopped using it was sometimes I would get out and smell hot tranny fluid. I wouldn't do it again on a 1500 unless I had another tranny cooler. Also the Tahoe is shorter than the burb so I would expect it to tow differently.

towing with a tahoe sucks balls, i did it and I had the bigger 5.7L. The power sucked, especially on a hill. So I ripped the engine down and stroked it to a 377, then it had enough power, but the suspension sucked - so I upgraded the rear leaf pack. The end result was piss poor gas mileage and wasted money. But I had a rippin grocery getter ;)

Tahoe/Yukon question...

deciding on a tow vehicle...thinking we'd like to go with a full-size SUV instead of a truck, since neither of the TJ's make a good "family" car...

trying to find some info, and checked www.napaguides.com for engines/payload/tow rating...

looking at the Tahoe, Yukon and Yukon XL...but the info on that site said even the 6.0L Yukon XL 2500 was only rated to tow 5000lbs...is that bad info?

I would've guessed closer to the 8K-10K rating that a 2500 truck is rated with the same engine...

obviously electric brake hookup would be added, and it seems a "real" tranny cooler should be added...but will any of those SUV's, with either the 5.3L or 6.0L (and maybe the 8.0L was an option) tow a 7K GVWR trailer just fine?

Greg

Check out the GMC website. It looks like a 2500 4wd with a 6L will have 7400 or 9400 lb trailer towing rating depending on axle ratio. At least this applies towards a 2005 model XL Yukon.

NC_Mog said:
Check out the GMC website. It looks like a 2500 4wd with a 6L will have 7400 or 9400 lb trailer towing rating depending on axle ratio. At least this applies towards a 2005 model XL Yukon.

yeah...I was looking used...in the 2001-2003 range...

and haven't kept up with any of the Chevy/GMC options, so I wasn't sure if an '02 Yukon XL was the same as an '05...

Is it the same 6.0L? and basically the same vehicle?

Greg

I believe its basically the same. Not saying there aren't changes of some type, but I doubt any change will significantly affect towing capacity. Also, you'll be able to determine for yourself based on the data listed on the door of the vehicle. Typically, 3/4 ton vehicles are limited based on GVWR and the tongue weight they can handle. This is why 3/4 ton trucks aren't a good choice for goosenecks/5th wheels (25% tongue weight) versus tag alongs with their 10 to 15%. 1 ton trucks typically get limited by their GCWR (i.e. plenty of tongue weight capacity but will bump into the limit on combined rating).

thanks...after a little more research on the '05 models (assuming the previous few years are the same)...it looks like I need to find a Yukon XL 3/4 ton with the 8.1L...rated in the 10K-12K, as opposed to the ~8K range...

It'll be months before I really get looking, but this will help...

Greg

8.1's like 9-12 mpg, empty! Hope this ain't gon'na be a DD. Brother in law's got a crew cab duramax, I didn't even know the truck and trailer was behind me. "family" car? Something going on? Car seat?

SSWaters said:
8.1's like 9-12 mpg, empty! Hope this ain't gon'na be a DD. Brother in law's got a crew cab duramax, I didn't even know the truck and trailer was behind me. "family" car? Something going on? Car seat?

nothing yet...but that's the plan in the next year or so...

I'd love to go with a crew cab duramax, or PSD, or CTD...but we'll just see when the time comes...

Greg

Back